It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New missile deployed with RAF

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Really? What type of PGM do they have that they have INVENTED themselves not took form the US.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
How about Stormshadow?

And here's a list with some others:

www.skomer.u-net.com...

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'm talking about guidance systems like the US GPS and laser targeting not air to ground or a2a missiles.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
But Westpoint, surely you know that the British invented everything, the yanks just make and sell them

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   
What that is total BS we own all 24 GPS satellites and invented lasers guidance the brits just get our left overs and sloppy seconds like always.

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Ah Westpoint I do enjoy reading your posts, you are always good for a laugh.

Firstly you say the UK has no PGM's, then it becomes no PGM's as long as you don't count AA or A2G weapons, and now we find that we aren't talking about PGM's at all merely guidance systems!

It would help inform the debate immensley if you could let us know of these qualifications before people start to respond, then at least we could ignore all the facts which disprove your arguments and save everyone a bit of time by simply agreeing with you!

Seriously though, I am only joking, I do actually enjoy reading your contributions. Maybe a bit of research first though eh? I seem to recall you claiming that the UK only had an airforce thanks to using US jets in a previous post. Just a quick web search would have told you this wasn't so. (If I have confused you with another poster on this one then I apologise in advance)

posted on Jul, 13 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I assume that seeing as you are so against "sloppy seconds" that the US will stop using RADAR and SONAR from now on seeing as you didn't invent them?

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:18 AM
link   
or jet engines, or swept and delta wings, or Harriers, or rocket engines, or T-45'S, or aircraft carriers, especially ones with catapults and angled decks, or almost anything since the Wright Flyer in fact. I am of course merely extracting the urine despite the reality of what I say

So that would leave the US with Wright flyers and satellites. Oh no satellites are Russian!

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:38 AM
link   
point was that most of the modern tech the brits are using came from the US since we are allies.

I seem to recall you claiming that the UK only had an airforce thanks to using US jets in a previous post. Just a quick web search would have told you this wasn't so.

No this wasn't me I have never said this im not that stupid

And I was talking about guidance systems not munitions.
And one more thing to add to that list of yours the US would also have lasers

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   
britain is a major contributor to the galileo GPS system.

europa.eu.int...

Storm Shadow uses terrain mapping technology but is GPS compatible, and will probably be linked into Galileo when it becomes operational.

www.fas.org...

-koji K.

[edit on 14-7-2004 by koji_K]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:51 AM
link   
How bizzarre??? What came up here wasn't what I'd written at all and now I can't be bothered to type it again but had to remove the rubbish that came up instead.

[edit on 14-7-2004 by waynos]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 01:45 PM
link   
People please, The US and UK are allies! Who cares who invented what, as long as we see victory at the end of the day. In fact, the UK is about the only ally the US can count on so I hope mutual sharing of nformation is done to help progress both of our countries.

BTW - you UK people need to start showing a little respect for the US. You guys would be speaking German or Russian if it weren't for us, so how about a little respect instead of just ripping on us all the time.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   
yet another american who claims that only america won ww2

we needed each other, with out the other both would have fallen

we are allies, not enemies we simply need each other as in ww2

it is really that simple

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
that was rather hypocritical of you

"we're allies stop fighting....and the UK needs to show us respect damnit"

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I do agree we are allies what helps one helps the other but in WW2 we did send a whole lot of weapons and troops to help out even before we joined the war we were shipping weapons to the British and the russian part he is talking about the cold war..

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
yet another american who claims that only america won ww2

we needed each other, with out the other both would have fallen

we are allies, not enemies we simply need each other as in ww2

it is really that simple

No - I do not believe America won WWII by ourselves - the Russians did more to win the war then any western country, I am well aware of this. The point is, I don't want to hear this garbage about RADAR and SONAR becaue when it comes down to it, we were all on the same side.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by KKing123
that was rather hypocritical of you

"we're allies stop fighting....and the UK needs to show us respect damnit"

No, it was not hypocritical, you UK people constantly speak condascendingly (spl? sorry, i can't spell to save my life) about the US and our millitary contribution. The fact is, the US was the only thing stoping Russia from taking over Europe from the 50's to the 90's. Thats 40 years. I am not saying kiss our ass but show us a little gratitude, because the rest of Europe likes to # on us, even after we protected ALL of western Europe BY OUR SELVES.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
by yourselves
get real
without europe standing beside you, russia would have quite happyly moved in

one thing that i hate is american ww2 films that show america as the victors of ww2, a new film about the battle of britain shows an american fighter pilot somehow saving Britain from waves of german fighter planes... thats what irritates me

we need each other whether people like it or not

we can also learn alot from each other

[edit on 14-7-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 03:59 PM
link   
So, if it weren't for you we'd be speaking German would we? Well if it wasn't for us you'd all be speaking Navajo and living in little conical tents

Actually if it wasn't for Britain, and our resolve in 1940 and 41 when we fought against Hitler ALONE you lot might be speaking German as well, or even worse, living in a nuclear wasteland. As people say it was a joint effort and without the other neither nation is unbeatable, after all the UK didn't fight in Vietnam did it? I wont mention the Falklands, oops I just did. Another prime example of US fence sitting.

Actually, being serious for a moment, the current weakness of British forces and of British capability in the aircraft industry, for one, is appalling and the decline in this country over the last 40 years is shameful. Maybe it is our current malaise that leads to todays distorted view amongst Americans of just how mutually dependant our two countries were on each other in the 40's and 50's against first Hitler and then communism. You have to remember that in 1939 the British Empire was absolutely huge and Britain was the most powerful nation on Earth until Germany's resurgence in the 1930's. What killed Britain was having the war fought right on our doorstep and in our skies and whilst the sacrifice of those Americans who came over and fought must rank equally with the sufferings of the European nations it is undeniable that being physically so far away from the front line and enjoying uniterrupted production and development was a major factor in why the US became the major supplier of arms to the Allies and in the rise of the USA to prominence ever since. Sticking to Aircraft the US had nothing to compare with the BF 109 or Spitfire at the outset of the war, the closest was the P-40 which was so lacking in performance that the RAF only used it in the Middle East where the most likely opposition would take the form of Italian biplanes. Even the P-51 was inadequate until mated with the Merlin engine when its true qualities shone through, the US was gifted the jets which powered the P-59A and P-80 prototypes, indeed they were removed from the prototypes of the Meteor and Vampire and shipped over expressly for the purpose. This is not a snipe however but illustrates how closely interdependant we were, it is a sad fact that we are now much more dependant than depended on. Its a disgrace but I suppose its just the way of the world. At one time Portugal was the worlds dominant power, and Spain etc etc. Now Britain is on the list of 'ex-superpowers' and America should not be complacent that as it is today it shall always be. What worries me and worries me greatly is that the next superpower might not br so friendly towards ANY of the old allies and then the world will suffer! US and British counter sniping really serves no purpose at all.

posted on Jul, 14 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
by yourselves
get real
without europe standing beside you, russia would have quite happyly moved in

one thing that i hate is american ww2 films that show america as the victors of ww2, a new film about the battle of britain shows an american fighter pilot somehow saving Britain from waves of german fighter planes... thats what irritates me

we need each other whether people like it or not

we can also learn alot from each other

[edit on 14-7-2004 by UK Wizard]

I am in total agreement about WWII. US involvement was not the deciding factor in the war.

That being said, you are a fool if you think that the US didn't save western Europe from Red Russia. We were there nuclear detterent, not Europe. We had the Airforce that could challange them, not Europe. We had the Navy to threaten them, not Europe.

You guys are in denial if you think that Russia was scared of France, the UK, and western Germany. The US was your guardian angel for 40 years, and you guys treat us with contempt and disdain. It is pathetic.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join