It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would CB radio be the only way to communicate at long distance in a disaster?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Yeah, might come a time when long distance communications need to go more old-school than CB.

Relight the Beacons!!!

www.folkscape.org.uk...

OP, thanks for this Thread, lot's of useful information!

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 08:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CASH69

using your radio during a major flare would most likely burn your finals out--in essence rendering your radio useless--the only publicly known source to stop solar radiation is gold--the satellites are covered with a mylar covered with gold to prevent this--a wireless transmission in a flare would be so garbled IF you could get it out--

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
An observation about getting help. In comparison to the Dam breaking scenario. Thats a pretty good explanation.

In 1st responder TRIAGE training...we are told in a disaster if someone is under a wall say screaming for help, and another person is crawling along the floor with a broken leg...and another is face down with blood spurting out...which do you help 1st?
None of them.

You ask those able to come (or crawl)towards the sound of your voice(theyll prob make it)...tell the person under the wall help (more help) is coming(if I help and it falls on me, we are all in need of assistance)...and the profusely bleeding person you just check for a pulse and go...because they are probably not going to make it.

You do not stop to help because you are the only one who can GET help for them, and if something happens to you...then no-one gets help.

Its not easy to deny help to someone who is screaming, but it might be you too sometime...screaming into the CB-HAM for someone who is way too busy helping others in more need to respond to you.

I'd suggest making other plans And buy a good wind-up-never-needs batteries combination weather radio, flashlight etc. for updates. As far as getting to you personally? We'd be too busy with the 100 of thousands of others to listen to one radio call from someone well enough to MAKE a call....so get moving...hit the road...and head for help or public or disaster command centers, areas or posts.

Seriously. If you are wondering how to communicate...you really should think about moving fast and get somewhere to safety. Resources are concentrated in disasters.
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: grammar

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by countrytruck

I was talking about a cb radio that is a homebase one with a thunderpole antenna and I am in England,the hand held CB will transmit and receive just as far using water groundplate but not at all times, I was taking into consideration when we have favourable atmospheric conditions also.
I am in no way speaking for CB radios installed in vehicles as I have no experience of them.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Your thread is basically thinking along the lines of my thread. What will work after and emp pulse. I am trying to find out about the safety of nuclear power after such an event. Don't mean to crash your thread but we are both looking at the same info. Some people are stating that generators would still work and I was under the impression they would not?? Lots of info but I am not sure what is actually correct. I will follow your thread for info as well.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by tinkytink1207

That is why you should take what people say with a grain of salt, before you check the facts yourself.

A diesel engine uses a mechanical injection pump and a compression ignition system. Unless an EMP or solar flare can permanently change the physical constants of the world, there is no way an EMP could render a diesel engine inoperable. Unless the thermodynamic properties of the universe has changed, when the cylinder comes up and compresses the air, and the injector shoots in the fuel, it will go boom! The starting system on most diesel engines is designed to pull many hundreds, to thousands of amps for many seconds of cranking without damage. The little bit of current or voltage that an EMP could generate in the wiring is insignificant to it’s normal operating levels. An EMP is not going to render any diesel engine unstartable.

And most magnetos on small gasoline engine ignition systems are designed to generate a several thousand volt spark over 60 times a second, for many thousands of hours of operation without damaging it’s self. Do you think a few kv surge from an EMP is going to do it any damage? There may be a few damaged, but it will be few and far between.

The same with A cb with a metal case sitting on a bench with no mic or antenna plugged in. An EMP will not bother it. Same with a computer sitting there with nothing plugged into it. It is in a solid metal box, nothing will bug it.

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by CASH69
reply to post by Chakotay

Wow,that blows my mind. I might just have to try that sometime. I guess the more water the better ground plane? I have heard of grounding to a water pipe,and using a homes ground plane wiring.

I've not seen mentioned yet that there are (or were) definite restrictions on the type of antenna ham radios can use. But if we are thinking of "end days," go for it!

posted on Jan, 23 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mr Tranny
reply to post by tinkytink1207

That is why you should take what people say with a grain of salt, before you check the facts yourself.

A diesel engine uses a mechanical injection pump and a compression ignition system. Unless an EMP or solar flare can permanently change the physical constants of the world, there is no way an EMP could render a diesel engine inoperable. Unless the thermodynamic properties of the universe has changed, when the cylinder comes up and compresses the air, and the injector shoots in the fuel, it will go boom! The starting system on most diesel engines is designed to pull many hundreds, to thousands of amps for many seconds of cranking without damage. The little bit of current or voltage that an EMP could generate in the wiring is insignificant to it’s normal operating levels. An EMP is not going to render any diesel engine unstartable.

And most magnetos on small gasoline engine ignition systems are designed to generate a several thousand volt spark over 60 times a second, for many thousands of hours of operation without damaging it’s self. Do you think a few kv surge from an EMP is going to do it any damage? There may be a few damaged, but it will be few and far between.

The same with A cb with a metal case sitting on a bench with no mic or antenna plugged in. An EMP will not bother it. Same with a computer sitting there with nothing plugged into it. It is in a solid metal box, nothing will bug it.

Not to be unkind, but I have a question. I have a little diesel tractor with a simple glow-plug starting system. It has no electronics. But my friend's VW is a different story. When you are getting into larger or more complex systems, how are you going to start that electronic-assisted diesel engine unless it is specifically designed to be resistent?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join