It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians are becoming social pariahs in Britain, claims BBC presenter Jeremy Vine

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Jeremy Vine, the BBC presenter, has claimed that it is becoming "socially unacceptable" to be a Christian in Britain.

The Radio 2 host said that he feels unable to talk about his faith on his show because he fears how people would react. He argues that society has become increasingly intolerant of the freedom to express religious views.
"You can't express views that were common currency 30 or 40 years ago," he said. "Arguably, the parameters of what you might call 'right thinking' are probably closing.

"Sadly, along with that has come the fact that it's almost socially unacceptable to say you believe in God."

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

edit on Mon Jan 17 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Starting A New Thread ?... Look Here First.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Is this true?
My husband and I have spent a lot of time in London in years past and this certainly wasnt the way it was previously. When did this happen if true? Is it due to the overly sensitive Muslim population Ive been told of recently. Recently in like the last 7 or so years?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:40 AM
link   
If your a strong christian believer you means, i think.

If your a hypocrite christian, which is most, this does not mean anything to you. But like often said, england is the worst country for faith in god, and its one of the reasons why it was a center for the beasts that run society(our world).

The english try to turn faith in god, into a mental illness, and your treated as a freak. Who cares, why would i want to have anything to do with wannabe murderers and scum anyway.

Its not just now its happened, england has probably been like that along time long before we where born.

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
Is this true?
My husband and I have spent a lot of time in London in years past and this certainly wasnt the way it was previously. When did this happen if true? Is it due to the overly sensitive Muslim population Ive been told of recently. Recently in like the last 7 or so years?

I dont think you can blame muslim sensitivities for Jeremy Vines persecution complex. We have religious programs on the BBC like Songs of Praise and "The Big question" all on sunday. I guess the problem is when more people in the society start to reject the claims of the religious and in turn resent those wanting to push those beliefs on others.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
It is unfortunate that he feels he si not able to express his beliefs, as we are free to believe what we wish. Though on the other hand it is also inevitably that it will become more and more socially unacceptable. His Christian beliefs, will in time go like every other religion before it and turn to myth when nobody is left who believes. The same way as many old religions of the Pagan type are now. Over the coming decades/centuries people will find this unrest more common as they don't wish to let go to the traditions that they hold dear but it will still, most liklely happen.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Originally posted by Advantage
Is this true?

I dont think you can blame muslim sensitivities for Jeremy Vines persecution complex. We have religious programs on the BBC like Songs of Praise and "The Big question" all on sunday. I guess the problem is when more people in the society start to reject the claims of the religious and in turn resent those wanting to push those beliefs on others.

Ahh okay.. I can understand that then. I had taken it as if things had suddenly become so PC you couldnt be a christian outwardly for fear of persecution. Apparently Im applying our issues in the US to what that quote said. Im happy to be wrong. We certainly never saw any hint of that in our time there. I do hope the Brits dont become as infected as we have concerning being PC. Its always been refreshing to hear a Brit say it like it is bluntly.. and the Scottish do the same.. but with more colorful language.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Okandetre

Your kidding me right, the ptb will always be pagan, as energy and manipulation of energy is what they do. Thats why pagan religions are the oldest. Why are they going to die out?

+10 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by The Djin

UTTER TWADDLE .

Mr Vine is being an over sensetive neurotic

it is not " socially unacceptable " to be a christian - but it is now socially acceptable not to be and even GASP publicily challenge the veracity of religious dogmas .

thats what Mr Vine and his ilk are really afraid of - the simple fact that " god did it " is no longer the unchallenged answer to everything they do not understand

its my opinion that Mr Vine has his head stuck well and truely in the past , in a time when the masses were cowed by threats of damnation from the pulpit

now they are not , he and his kind need to be dragged , kicking and screaming if nessecary - into the 21st century - and learn that thier dogma is no longer accepted without question

thats what really scares Mr Vine - its only a miniscule minority that actually care whether he is a christian and hold it against him , what worries him is the much large minority who no longer believe Mr Vines beliefs , just because they are told to backed by the " authority " that ` god says so ` and ` its in the bible `

so - come on Mr Vine and all like him - stop whimpering in a corner and come out and argue your case in free debate - the days of your monoploy are gone - get over it

link   

It certainly does appear to be the case that Christianity in Britain has become more of an "underground"belief system open to ridicule,in part due to the recent child abuse scandals invoving members of the catholic church in (predominantly)
Ireland.I do not think it has much to do with offending Islamics,as members of the Muslim community have also been subjected to the same ridicule,if not outright hostility,obviously due in part to that religions association(whether justified or not) with extremism and Jihad.
Speaking as an atheist,I would like to think that people are becoming more enlightened to the realisation that religion is nothing but a means of control,but,unfortunately,it may be more to do with the fact that we are becoming more intolerant.

link   
The fears of people in the public eye to speak openly about their faith are hardly abstract.

How often on ATS do we read "Belief in God cannot be distinguished from belief in Santa Claus?"

What is that, if not a colorful way of saying, "If you're an adult believer in God, then you're a nutter?"

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Please don't take this the wrong way christians , but why should you be treated any differently than any other brainwashing cult ?
I find Christians are generally bigotted , self righteous and spiritually unable to walk without a crutch .

Your religion is based on a ficticious character from an ill documented history .

These are my beliefs . would you ridicule them ?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Well, I tell ya...there is a rather large denomination of Christians within the states, which, as memory serves, put forth some quite UK friendly (or bbc friendly) pronunciations, just after the apex of the globalwarming™ craze.

To wit: we are going to join the Lord Jesus Christ in fighting against global warming.... It went on a bit, there were other embarrassing proclamations, and I doubt you'll be able to identify these groups now. They may have been baptists, from the east bible belt. It was brought to my attention right at the time of the last selection for POTUS.

It really doesn't matter, as these sects of compliance and low self esteem could pop up anywhere, overnight, even in the clenches of the coldest winter, as zionisim is involved. It is sport for them. Sell it, sell it, sell it especially against the most ridiculous odds. Make them pay for what ought instead have us each on a flaming rail. They don't like to appear as seemingly 'compromised'.

Things like that should fit right up their alley, in the UK. Allow mention of 'God' to pimp an Orwellian concentration of punishment, taxation, and centralized power. USE GOD, to facilitate technofascism. It's like it's in their genes, to crave reproach, subjugation. Hustle, before the cameras are installed, and they'll be able to track each step. What do I know? I get my info from the bbc. For all anyone knows, the Brits are exactly opposite what the papers say. But it wouldn't surprise me to find the author correct about the God problem. The Brits do seem somewhat ashamed of what they've allowed to be brought to their door each morning. Eating this crap each day; how could there exist 'God'?

The bbc is just the same as the msm here. zionism is zionism. The bbc does have a knack for rubbing it in, however, when the amerikan msm simply go silent on the issue, until the proper opportunity arises~ ie., spring allows for aids™ and globalwarming™ measures talks to resume, except when it's exceptionally clear that God is interfering 180º by supplying extreme weather anomalies.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
reply to post by eight bits

welcome to the internets

you simply cannot project the radicalised views you once heard on ATS onto a entire nation .

How often on ATS do we read "Belief in God cannot be distinguished from belief in Santa Claus?"

i dunno - how often ? and more important - as this is the internet - now many of those statements were actial beliefs - or just trolling for lolz ?

now if you are quoting from ATS - please dont be selective and just look at the myriad of ` out there ` statments made on ATS , such as :

" there were no planes at the pentagon / TWC "

" a micro nuke destroyed the WTC "

" an orbiting death-ray destroyed the WTC "

" the earth is hollow "

" HM Queen elizibeth II is a reptilian shapeshifter "

" the moon is hollow "

" chemtrails are spraying poison on us from 6km altitude "

and on and on

do you or your freinds believe all those statements - even any of them

do you think the polulation of the UK beleve them ???

this is the internet - dont believe everything you read

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
reply to post by Okandetre

Your kidding me right, the ptb will always be pagan, as energy and manipulation of energy is what they do. Thats why pagan religions are the oldest. Why are they going to die out?

Well I have known a few pagans in my time and they certainly know the what happens atleast in the UK when you say you are Pagan. I can't say I believe in any PTB or whatnot, as I have not seen any reason to as of yet, even less to say if there were any they'd be of one religion or another. I hope you are joking in all seriousness

If I were to bring up in conversation I was a follower of old Norse gods and 'mythology', i'd get some funny looks from polite people and outright ridicule from not-so polite people.

I think these days there is a combination of intolerance to blindly following what the church says in the UK (especially since people hear of scandal after scandal) and also a slight increase in the amount of people who are more inclined to question what people tell them and try to apply a more rational explanation to things.

It is very true that the UK is becoming less and less religious, as was seen when the pope came to visit last year. It is not all bad though, hopefully we don't need to get intolerant to the point of violence and hopefully it will just fizzle away.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
If your a strong christian believer you means, i think.

If your a hypocrite christian, which is most, this does not mean anything to you. But like often said, england is the worst country for faith in god, and its one of the reasons why it was a center for the beasts that run society(our world).

The english try to turn faith in god, into a mental illness, and your treated as a freak. Who cares, why would i want to have anything to do with wannabe murderers and scum anyway.

Its not just now its happened, england has probably been like that along time long before we where born.

To judge from your spelling Andy, I assume you're not in or of the UK! I also have to assume that you are not a Christian...
From what I hear on the World Service, the problem is with the BBC, not necessarily society in general.
Vicky

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
More self pity that I have come to expect from a small portion of this countries religious believers.

Although I do agree with him, more and more people in this country are waking up and questioning religious dogma and the nature of the church, they are taking notice of the scandals and secrecy, we are all together forward thinking society now and I welcome the change.

Church attendance figures are at an all time low, atheism is at an all time high, It's a good time to be English in that respect.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape

UTTER TWADDLE .

Mr Vine is being an over sensetive neurotic

it is not " socially unacceptable " to be a christian - but it is now socially acceptable not to be and even GASP publicily challenge the veracity of religious dogmas .

thats what Mr Vine and his ilk are really afraid of - the simple fact that " god did it " is no longer the unchallenged answer to everything they do not understand

its my opinion that Mr Vine has his head stuck well and truely in the past , in a time when the masses were cowed by threats of damnation from the pulpit

now they are not , he and his kind need to be dragged , kicking and screaming if nessecary - into the 21st century - and learn that thier dogma is no longer accepted without question

thats what really scares Mr Vine - its only a miniscule minority that actually care whether he is a christian and hold it against him , what worries him is the much large minority who no longer believe Mr Vines beliefs , just because they are told to backed by the " authority " that ` god says so ` and ` its in the bible `

so - come on Mr Vine and all like him - stop whimpering in a corner and come out and argue your case in free debate - the days of your monoploy are gone - get over it

You sound just like the people who hounded me (and other Christians) off h2g2 because we're Christians. Is that what you and your ilk call free debate?
Utter bilge.
Vicky
(In case you are EtB or Hoo or one of the precious angry-atheists-with-persecution-complexes who infest h2g2, Ima leave you to guess who I was there. You're not going to repeat your nasty tricks here!)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crutchley29
More self pity that I have come to expect from a small portion of this countries religious believers.

Although I do agree with him, more and more people in this country are waking up and questioning religious dogma and the nature of the church, they are taking notice of the scandals and secrecy, we are all together forward thinking society now and I welcome the change.

Church attendance figures are at an all time low, atheism is at an all time high, It's a good time to be English in that respect.

Hit the nail on the head.

Amen to that!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
I've posted the whole article here because I find it a very interesting read, the contrast between the public perception of christianity in the UK and that of the US is to my mind quite stark.

For those that don't know Vine quite a popular BBC presenter and is mostly involved in discussion and debate and on the whole I have found him (whilst presenting) pretty level headed and a reasonable neutral moderator.

It is unfortunate that he now seems to be dragging his arse into the whinging xtian camp which is pretty sad and doesn't seem to see that his own gang has caused him to feel gagged and to a degree I sympathies with the guy but, only to a degree.

The BBC is (supposedly) a public broadcaster yet is continually sending mixed messages to it's audiences and quite frankly pissing people off. An example of which is Radio 2 on which Vine has a daily show (when he's not on holidays but that's another issue) where day in day the station panders to the religious primarily christian.

When we listen to the peak time breakfast show, which is mostly frivolous banter light humor with a splash of news and weather and a few popular songs. We are suddenly brought to a screeching halt by some soap box minister ,mullah or rabbi ranting on about an invisible man that lives in the sky and how it's so hard to figure out why he would cause an earth quake to kill so many, or why he's on both sides in a war, but rest assured but he loves us and things will be fine when we are dead.

Ok, fine the UK is supposedly a democracy and some people do actually believe this drivel but everyone has the chance to air their view, or do they ? Well no they don't the atheist simply doesn't;t have a look in despite campaigning for fairness the finger of god is flipped by those that are intent on forcing their ludicrous superstitions upon the rest of us at every available opportunity.

BBC Accused Of Becoming "An Evangelical Tool Of The Churches ... The BBC is accused of planning to breach its own guidelines on religious programming by staging a religious recruitment event in Manchester today. www.secularism.org.uk/bbcaccusedofbecominganevangelica.html

BBC's expensive religious affairs department accused of ... The BBC is spending a minimum of £10 million a year on religious propaganda, it has been revealed, and the department that is spending the money has ... www.secularism.org.uk/bbcs-expensive-religious-affairs.html

BBC confirms itself as Pope's propaganda arm – but ITV keeps ... The BBC has this week announced that it plans saturation coverage of the Pope&rsquo;s visit with twelve and a half hours of pope adulation on BBC1 ... www.secularism.org.uk/bbc-confirms-itself-as-popes-pro.html

BBC thinks its job is to promote religion | National Secular ... Editorial by Terry Sanderson The NSS President looks at why the BBC are making religious programmes when there is patently no demand. www.secularism.org.uk/bbcthinksitsjobistopromotereligi.html

In the very unlikely event that Mr Vine should actually read this thread, well , I'm sorry my friend but blame your own club who have for so long "Conspired" to not let a day go by without me or my family having Jesus rammed down our throats at every given opportunity.

We fully understand (but do not sympathise) that the churches are empty and your club is getting smaller and the Allah god appears to be beating your jesus god hands down when it comes to club membership, but your delusion has had its' day it has been caught out and shown to be the biggest lie of all time.

Here's a little something for you and your gang to think about Mr Vine, for centuries you have claimed that your leader Jesus was the wisest, the answer to all problems the lamb to turn to for advice on how to proceed in making the world a better place. Your gang threatened, killed, tortured. stole ,lied enslaved and conspired to force your truth on people like me.

Your gang of christian sheep have failed, miserably and at great cost to humanity, of all your parables, psalms, sermons and songs none of this was enough you failed.

Yet, how so ironic it is, that if your gang had set aside it's arrogance and listened to the message from one simple man a slave no less how different things could possible have been for you now.

The man was Aesop and his message was contained in the tale of The Sun And The Wind and most importantly it would not have mattered whether or not he even existed.

Christianity you have reaped what you have sown for centuries, misery.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
i agree, i dont know why people are embaresed!
i had no idea declaring happy christmas to people over the festival, and if somebody has a problem with that, thats their problem not yours or mine

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join