It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spooky Spokeo, They know where you are.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
This absolutely BLEW MY MIND!!! My wife (of all people) showed me this website You can run but you cannot hide

First, my wife is not at all even the least BIT conspiracy oriented. She truly believes all people are driven by good will. While her and I differ on this SHE even thought this website was very uncomfortable.

As she was showing and describing it to me I thought, ya most all this information is public knowledge anyway. But what really freaked me out is the pictures of the houses are neighborhoods. Its almost as if you are god flying around where ever the hell you want looking at whatever you want. I called it Google Jesus...

Because my father works for the Police department his information is secure. So I typed in his name and no luck. However I typed in my moms name and bingo off I flew to a boondocks country side 30 miles away from anything that could be considered a city and there I am Google Jesus like staring at my parents front door.

The idea of privacy is OVER.

edit on 17-1-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   
My name doesn't show up, only spoofs.

Good news, I was beginning to worry!

S+F

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Haha! Good to know I'm living off the grid, or I'm just not that cool, because when I typed in my name no results came up.

But I feel after using the majority of the features on that site and getting no results, maybe by me typing those things in the government is actually using that information to compile a profile about me. Now they have my full name, username on this website, phone number, and e-mail address. It's a conspiracy I tell ya
edit on 17-1-2011 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:37 AM
link   
All I see is a white pages. I typed in a name and all it gives is the persons address and phone number. I don't see any google jesus. I clicked a box below for more info on "home" of person and its a solicitation to $ for more info. Did you have to pay for google jesus?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I just typed in my name, and it listed everyone living at my house, and if you pay a subscrption fe, you et to see my hobbies, my email, my house, my photos, and some oerprivate stuf as well.

WTF?
(sorry bout spelling, keyboard is going out on me)

edit on 17-1-2011 by Common Good because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
To get the "Google Jesus" you have to go to the "property tab" after you have found the individual you are looking for. Obviously the more information of the person you are interested in the more fine tuned the results. I was able to find pretty much anyone I was looking for and all their residences with just their first, last, city, and St.

How does it feel to know someone is making money on information about you, your whereabouts, hobbies, phone numbers, e-mails etc??

Not to mention in some cases they can "Google Jesus" right to your front lawn.

Edit: Not to mention the obvious implications of this whole thing being available to the public. Really makes you wonder what the government is truly capable of. Anyone ever seen the movie "eagle eye"??
edit on 17-1-2011 by Sly1one because: addition

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

for good or bad ,i just found a family member, i gees it is ok for what it is meant for but some of the stuff that one could find out about you and your's???... make you wonder.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Its not accurate.

Shows one of my neighbors houses as mine. Lists me making a ginormous income. Plus apparently I'm married according to it.

I'm not giving them a credit card number to see how accurate the rest is.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Well what the hell, am I the only person who this is working for?
All my Wife's information and previous residences were there as well as mine and my mothers?

I need to learn to hide better i guess...

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Oh my gosh that's awesome.

Now i can hunt down that tool of an X flatmate and say "i know where you live, now where's that last month's rent you owe me??" And read him his address and phone number.

There you have it - classic example of how this kind of information is misused, and why it should stay private.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

You can get your name removed from Spokeo. I did it about a year ago. I'm sure it's in teeny tiny letters somewhere on the website now. I didn't like the idea that any joe schmoe could find out that much info about me in one shot. I know all the info is out there, but people should have to work for it if they really want it.
Here's the link to have your info removed.
www.spokeo.com...

Now they have companies that will keep all your info off the web---for a fee, of course!

Spokeo cares about data privacy. We have partnered with ReputationDefender, a leading privacy protection agency, to help you control and remove your information on hundreds of other people search sites. Click the banner to get started:

Now, that's hilarious.
Spokeo cares about your privacy...but publishes your information on their site.....but since they care so much, they partnered with a company that you have to pay to remove you info.

edit on 17-1-2011 by virraszto because: added to post

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by virraszto
reply to post by Sly1one

You can get your name removed from Spokeo. I did it about a year ago. I'm sure it's in teeny tiny letters somewhere on the website now. I didn't like the idea that any joe shmoe could find out that much info about me in one shot. I know all the info is out there, but people should have to work for it if they really want it.
Here's the link to have your info removed.
www.spokeo.com...

Now they have companies that will keep all your info off the web---for a fee, of course!
edit on 17-1-2011 by virraszto because: added to post

THANK YOU sooo very much for that tidbit of information! much appreciated.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 03:08 AM
link   
They had a couple old addresses of mine (really old) that's about it. I didn't pay the fee, so perhaps they have my email or other info (though I highly doubt it, since the email isn't in my name.) I'm not impressed with the site. It also completely failed to find a friend of mine with an unusual name. Not a peep. Just a glorified search engine IMO.

After reading more of the thread I tried the other buttons the OP spoke of, and laughed my butt off...they say that My "family" has lived at an address for 21 years that I maybe rented a room in for a summer 8 or 9 years ago...

Unless you're really plugged into the system (which I'm not) this site is fairly useless (thank goodness)

peace.
edit on 17-1-2011 by joechip because: to add

edit on 17-1-2011 by joechip because: clarification

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

hehehe
Nooooo, they know where YOU are.

It doesn't cover outside of the States
F & S though, cause you can bet that if Spokeo, that my peer blocker does NOT like by the way, exists, then others for other countries do too.

If peerblocker doesn't like it, then doesn't it mean that when you visit spokeo it's checking into your files etc? Not much of a PC pro here. I can get around fine, but when it comes to I.P. and packets and what have you's, I am completely lost, and hence feel completely vulnerable.
Like I'm the only person in the shopping center doing my shopping butt naked, and I don't mean virtual shopping.

Is there more I can do than installing peer blocker? I tried installing another one that I got from ATS a couple of weeks ago, downloaded it, to the detriment of my data package, only to find ... it only cover the States and the U.K. Amaaaazing, I should have known that would happen, eh? Ok, so maybe I should ask this in stead, is there anything else that I can do or install, that actually covers anywhere in the world? Must be user friendly, as I don't understand what they're talking about when they want to get into ones and zeros, packages etc.

I know what an I.P. address is, at least, but only because XP gave me much grief with networking our computers at home, a couple of years ago. What I must do with it, how to hide it etc, I don't know. So, could someone please help the naked noob here

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Yeah...this kind of thing is getting more concerning daily. I wish they'd give us the option of opting out or even pass some really hard laws to preserve our privacy and safety. How safe are we when with $1.99 and a phone number any creepazoid or criminal out there can find out exactly where you live, who your family is?

By the same token, people need to be aware of how and where that their information often feeds into these this by their own actions and/or hold accountable those who contribute to propagating this.

Makes it a little hard to get laws passed though by a government who provides much of this very information or protects the corporations that do.

It's a huge twisted, slithering can of worms that it's going to take some might tough acts to untangle.
edit on 1/22/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Im in Uk so I typed in my freind s name from New York i got his adress which was correct the name of his parents his phone number as well as house value wtf . im sorry but info like address and phone number is the kind of info a psycho with a grudge could benefit from, this site truly deserves suing , so what you can remove the info you have to know the site EXSISTS first LMAO.

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I tried it with a friend in the US, her marriage status was WAY out of date, and it values her house as $800,000........... It's a trailer

edit on 22-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
That is well dodgy. just type your email in!
I just did mine and it's got loads of info. It even has my ATS avatar on show.
It must be global cos i'm in the UK.

top topics

join