It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Israel tested Stuxnet on Iran, with US help'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by aoi3610

I look at Islam, and yes, it's bad.

Initially spread by the sword. Convert or die.

And we see just how tolerant Islam is every single day. Between the mosque bombings, honor killings, churches bombed, Christians being killed, and Sunni/Shia killings, yeah, it's bad.

The tolerant Muslims leave the nations where more pure Islam is practiced, they have kids who are taught my the fundamentalist teachers, they become fundamentalist, and screw that country up.

On and on, and on.

Really bad.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

I fear you learn from the wrong sources.

And we see just how tolerant Islam is every single day. Between the mosque bombings, honor killings, churches bombed, Christians being killed, and Sunni/Shia killings, yeah, it's bad.

Where do you see this eh? TV? Newspaper?

I see Muslims standing in front of churches.

The tolerant Muslims leave the nations where more pure Islam is practiced, they have kids who are taught my the fundamentalist teachers, they become fundamentalist, and screw that country up.

Oh, like IRAN, IRAQ, Afghanistan.....

Who told you that eh? TV? Newspapers??

I beg to differ.

edit on 16-1-2011 by aoi3610 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by StlSteve
Computer worms...un-manned drones. Where's the humanity?

In front of the keyboard!

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
reply to post by sbctinfantry

I personally like the way it says that it delayed Irans developement of nuclear weapons when all along Iran has denied it wants to develope nuclear weapons.

logic dictates that if you create a news article about 1 fact, you can add many fictions to it and it looks more credible.

So you're saying that if Iran was truly developing nuclear weapons, then they would admit to it?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
From the NY times ( you may need to register )

www.nytimes.com...

Israeli Test on Worm Called Crucial in Iran Nuclear DelayBy WILLIAM J. BROAD, JOHN MARKOFF and DAVID E. SANGER
Published: January 15, 2011
The Dimona complex in the Negev desert is famous as the heavily guarded heart of Israel’s never-acknowledged nuclear arms program, where neat rows of factories make atomic fuel for the arsenal.

Over the past two years, according to intelligence and military experts familiar with its operations, Dimona has taken on a new, equally secret role — as a critical testing ground in a joint American and Israeli effort to undermine Iran’s efforts to make a bomb of its own.

Behind Dimona’s barbed wire, the experts say, Israel has spun nuclear centrifuges virtually identical to Iran’s at Natanz, where Iranian scientists are struggling to enrich uranium. They say Dimona tested the effectiveness of the Stuxnet computer worm, a destructive program that appears to have wiped out roughly a fifth of Iran’s nuclear centrifuges and helped delay, though not destroy, Tehran’s ability to make its first nuclear arms.

“To check out the worm, you have to know the machines,” said an American expert on nuclear intelligence. “The reason the worm has been effective is that the Israelis tried it out.”

“It’s like a playbook,” said Ralph Langner, an independent computer security expert in Hamburg, Germany, who was among the first to decode Stuxnet. “Anyone who looks at it carefully can build something like it.” Mr. Langner is among the experts who expressed fear that the attack had legitimized a new form of industrial warfare, one to which the United States is also highly vulnerable.

Paranoia helped, as it turns out.

Years before the worm hit Iran, Washington had become deeply worried about the vulnerability of the millions of computers that run everything in the United States from bank transactions to the power grid.

Siemens PPT on the Weakness of the Controllers

Israeli Test on Worm Called Crucial in Iran Nuclear DelayPublished: January 15, 2011
But Washington knew. The controllers were critical to operations at Natanz, a sprawling enrichment site in the desert. “If you look for the weak links in the system,” said one former American official, “this one jumps out.”

IranControllers, and the electrical regulators they run, became a focus of sanctions efforts. The trove of State Department cables made public by WikiLeaks describes urgent efforts in April 2009 to stop a shipment of Siemens controllers, contained in 111 boxes at the port of Dubai, in the United Arab Emirates. They were headed for Iran, one cable said, and were meant to control “uranium enrichment cascades” — the term for groups of spinning centrifuges.

Subsequent cables showed that the United Arab Emirates blocked the transfer of the Siemens computers across the Strait of Hormuz to Bandar Abbas, a major Iranian port.

Only months later, in June, Stuxnet began to pop up around the globe. The Symantec Corporation, a maker of computer security software and services based in Silicon Valley, snared it in a global malware collection system. The worm hit primarily inside Iran, Symantec reported, but also in time appeared in India, Indonesia and other countries.

But unlike most malware, it seemed to be doing little harm. It did not slow computer networks or wreak general havoc.

That deepened the mystery.

A ‘Dual Warhead’

No one was more intrigued than Mr. Langner, a former psychologist who runs a small computer security company in a suburb of Hamburg. Eager to design protective software for his clients, he had his five employees focus on picking apart the code and running it on the series of Siemens controllers neatly stacked in racks, their lights blinking.

He quickly discovered that the worm only kicked into gear when it detected the presence of a specific configuration of controllers, running a set of processes that appear to exist only in a centrifuge plant. “The attackers took great care to make sure that only their designated targets were hit,” he said. “It was a marksman’s job.”

For example, one small section of the code appears designed to send commands to 984 machines linked together.

Curiously, when international inspectors visited Natanz in late 2009, they found that the Iranians had taken out of service a total of exactly 984 machines that had been running the previous summer.

But as Mr. Langner kept peeling back the layers, he found more — what he calls the “dual warhead.” One part of the program is designed to lie dormant for long periods, then speed up the machines so that the spinning rotors in the centrifuges wobble and then destroy themselves. Another part, called a “man in the middle” in the computer world, sends out those false sensor signals to make the system believe everything is running smoothly. That prevents a safety system from kicking in, which would shut down the plant before it could self-destruct.

edit on 2011/1/18 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I wonder who they paid on the inside.

There is NO WAY they have there Internal network/intranet connected to the Internet.. for any such attacks to be implemented remotely.

This was an inside, usb device, job lol

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Oh contraire.

I bet most scada systems are being accessed via internet connected work networked PCs. Probably through a remote desktop scada client.

I know the one's I've dealt with have been.
edit on 2011/1/18 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Oh, the harmless, peace-loving Iranians are taking revenge on the Afghans now because ot the Stuxnet:

(bold mine)

Iran has blocked thousands of fuel trucks from crossing into Afghanistan as its initial reprisal for US fuel sanctions and the US-Israeli partnership reported by the US media in planting the Stuxnet virus in its nuclear production systems

The average Afghan cannot find enough heating oil and when he does, he can't afford to pay for it.
Stormy anti-Iranian protest rallies have taken place in Kabul and Herat near the Iranian border.

Tuesday, Afghan businessmen, urged by President Hamid Karzai and American commanders, declared a boycott on business with neighboring Iran until the thousands of fuel trucks are allowed to cross.

www.debka.com...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
US fighting terrorism

ps

terrorism, meaning, anyone who doesnt agree with their policies

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonjah1
Oh, the harmless, peace-loving Iranians are taking revenge on the Afghans now because ot the Stuxnet:

(bold mine)

Iran has blocked thousands of fuel trucks from crossing into Afghanistan as its initial reprisal for US fuel sanctions and the US-Israeli partnership reported by the US media in planting the Stuxnet virus in its nuclear production systems

The average Afghan cannot find enough heating oil and when he does, he can't afford to pay for it.
Stormy anti-Iranian protest rallies have taken place in Kabul and Herat near the Iranian border.

Tuesday, Afghan businessmen, urged by President Hamid Karzai and American commanders, declared a boycott on business with neighboring Iran until the thousands of fuel trucks are allowed to cross.

www.debka.com...

Iran's plaything today,

America's yesterday,

Tomorrow?

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry

Unless there is a real and direct threat to use it, I don't see any reason to preempt them.

www.hindustantimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Um, you obviously don't watch the news very often. Iran threatens to wipe Israel off the map daily. I can't believe I even have to say that. I thought this was common knowledge?
You are still entitled to your opinion though.
Just know the facts first....

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedish

Originally posted by sbctinfantry

Unless there is a real and direct threat to use it, I don't see any reason to preempt them.

www.hindustantimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Um, you obviously don't watch the news very often. Iran threatens to wipe Israel off the map daily. I can't believe I even have to say that. I thought this was common knowledge?
You are still entitled to your opinion though.
Just know the facts first....

Right, I know you think they're all bananas (Disclaimer : I forgot I had cable a long time ago and it was disconnected. Haven't bothered to reconnect since.) but the nation does realize that would cause retaliation ten fold.

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Wikileaks

WikiLeaks: US advised to sabotage Iran nuclear sites by German thinktank As Stuxnet cyber attack pinned on US and Israel, US embassy cable reveals advice to use undercover operations

Leaked Cable

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
If you are making a nuclear weapon, and your scada systems are open to viral attack, you're already too dumb to own one.

If doesn't occur to you that the country and allies that created the modern technology being used for nuclear weapons and nuclear facilities might have an inkling of their weaknesses, you're stupid.

If it didn't occur to you that the country and allies that developed the modern computer, the modern servers, the modern networks, and the software that drives it all might have some ways of using that knowledge, you're on your way to be drooling stupid.

Acting with arrogance should probably be based on something that is tangibly real.
edit on 2011/1/19 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

wouldn't you think iran was intelligent enough not to have internet access at its nuclear site.

it does not pass over the internet... passed over usb only...

kx

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
If you are making a nuclear weapon, and your scada systems are open to viral attack, you're already too dumb to own one.

you are wrong
i dont think you have any understanding of what you are talking about. This is not a nromal virus..

kx
edit on 19-1-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-1-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to [url=http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread651571/pg2#

Um, you obviously don't watch the news very often. Iran threatens to wipe Israel off the map daily. I can't believe I even have to say that. I thought this was common knowledge? You are still entitled to your opinion though. Just know the facts first....

do some homework son. Dont rely on the main stream media..

kx

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer
reply to post by randomname

wouldn't you think iran was intelligent enough not to have internet access at its nuclear site.

it does not pass over the internet... passed over usb only...

kx

that isn't true. Symantec's systems picked it up quite a while a go. It is indeed "in the wild."

Oh, I'm sorry, are you trying to make sure that the entire crew over there, are in the mood for a good game of "who is the plant" to add some chaos, suspicion, and fear and a few deaths commited by their Imamocracy being upset? Sorry about that.

I am not against bombing the carpe diem out of the area, so I have to admit people might play a deeper game than I care about.
edit on 2011/1/19 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

that isn't true. Symantec's systems picked it up quite a while a go. It is indeed "in the wild." Oh, I'm sorry, are you trying to make sure that the entire crew over there, are in the mood for a good game of "who is the plant" to add some chaos, suspicion, and fear and a few deaths commited by their Imamocracy being upset? Sorry about that. I am not against bombing the carpe diem out of the area, so I have to admit people might play a deeper game than I care about.

lady you are wrong as i stated before..
Just because symntecs crew picked it does not mean it passed via the internet you dont have a clue what you are talking about.. Plz spend the next five minutes watching the video below to get an understanding of the kind of animal we are dealing with here.. It is new and it is different... It is also a very dangerous thing to have done the russians have stated it cause another Chernobyl-style nuclear disaster at the reactor...

Russian nuclear officials have warned of another Chernobyl-style nuclear disaster at Iran's controversial Bushehr reactor because of the damage caused by the Stuxnet virus, according to the latest Western intelligence reports.

www.commondreams.org...

If you read and watch the above you will understand that your answer you gave was wrong. The virus passed over usb and local networks. Not the internet as you stated above.

kx

posted on Jan, 19 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
oh. then it being on the web was just an accident. Hm. Okay then.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join