It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking causes gene damage in minutes

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions
Stick to natural spirits. They don't add in the chemical additives found in practically every other commercial cigarette company. It's a bit more expensive, but you get about 50% more tobacco per cigarette. I smoke socially sometimes when I drink, so purchase about a pack a month. I will smoke a half of a cig in the time it takes most other people to smoke a full regular one. So I put it out and effectively get two packs for the price of one.

I basically smoke like that too. As I said earlier, only at home. I think I really should start getting out more, then maybe I'll quit completely.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I hate cigarettes as I was forced to put up with the smell thanks to parents who smoked. But I have to say studies like these look only at part of the whole picture of all the things that affect our health and longevity. I have plenty of heavy smoking relatives who lived well past their eighties despite not quitting until their fifties. The ones who had emphysema and cancers are the ones who kept at it until their sixties and after, and even then this was not true for all of them.

I think at this point we have more cause for concern from environmental toxins and processed food. By all means quit smoking, as it can only help cut out at least that risk factor. I don't mean to minimize all the risks that smoking introduces. But take a look around at what is killing and ailing nonsmokers these days and you will see the hazards from smoking are possibly less alarming in comparison. So much has been done in many regions of the USA to decrease the exposure for nonsmokers. But what is being done to protect our men and boys from chemicals that essentially sterilize or feminize them? As a mother I've been researching a bit on what my child has been exposed to in our modern American lifestyle. There are so much worse things out there I have little hope of controlling exposure to. Smoking is a choice and all the rest of it is not.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Smoking is a putrid disgusting habit.

I hate it with every bone in my body.

I wish I could muster up the strength to quit.

The worst decision of my life was to start smoking. I love it so much, but every day I wish I could quit.
Worst part about it though, I didnt start smoking until I was 21. Something about the bar scene I guess.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

I'd love to know what you've found out.

It's crazy to think what chemicals we expose ourselves to throughout our daily lives. From deoderants, air fresheners etc we will be known in the future as a chemically tainted society.

Childhood asthema has increased dramatically and there sems to be more people with allergies too.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
i hate being in the elevator with people that smell like cigarettes
ewwwwwwww

so disgusting

I should quit

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wanker
I've been smoking a pack a day for the past 20 years, I wonder how my genes look

I too have smoked a pack a day for 20 odd years and as soon as i read the OP's post i jumped in the car and headed to the mall.

I now have some brand new jeans.

problem solved~!

On a more serious note i recently saw the movie "the tourist" and was introduced via Johhny Depp's character to the "E cigarette" which i, (who has never seriously considered quittting) thought would be a realistic tool to transition to the clean air brigade.

wonder has anyone here tried that E-cigarette?
edit on 15-1-2011 by Lansky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Every day that I wake up in a country where the drugs that kill HALF A MILLION people in a single year are legal (Tobacco and alcohol), and the drug that has not killed a single person in the history of its use is illegal (Cannabis), I feel like I am living in some sick fantasy-opposite world.

How can the government honestly tell people that smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol is OK to do, but smoking cannabis is not? They clearly are aware of the serious health risks these two substances pose, but what, that doesn't matter to them? As long as they can squeeze the profits out of the American people from these addictive products, that makes up for the countless lives that have been lost due to their use? And how can the people that live in this country as well as the people that make up the government not see the insane hypocrisy of the illegality of cannabis?

No single person can even come close to making the argument that cannabis is worse for you than alcohol or tobacco, yet a good portion of the population still believes that BS propaganda. It makes me ashamed to call myself a citizen of these United States.

Smoking tobacco causes gene damage in MINUTES! That's something the government won't spend millions of dollars trying to warn the people of, simply because they do not care. Lung cancer, physical addiction, dead brain cells, emphysema, gene damage, drunk-driving deaths, alcohol poisoning.....why do I never see an above the influence commercial warning me about the real dangers of drugs?
It makes me sick

I apologize if it seems like I am trying to derail the thread, because that is not my intention at all.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

I'm with you on that one TupacS.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
i just saw this on tv, and did a little lol. how can they even test this?
cancer is genetic. some 40 a day'ers live into their 90's whilst some die in their 40's.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
When my father was murdered, I was 13 and started smoking. Quit when I was 20. My step father died suddenly when I was 38, and I started smoking again that day. Quit when I was 40. My husband died 2 years ago, yep, started smoking again, and have not put them down yet and I'll be 46. I have no desire to quit now, unfortunately. Pathetic story. Obviously self medicating. I certainly agree about the Cannabis. Love the stuff. Can't smoke it currently,,, job hunting, but plan on being a stoned little old lady some day. lol

Found the following information while doing research for a friend.

Benzene damages the DNA of normal stem cells. Cigarette smoke is now the leading known source of exposure to this toxin. Benzene is also found in certain industrial settings. However, strict regulation in the United States and other countries now limits benzene exposure in the workplace.

Source

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by neonitus
cancer is genetic. some 40 a day'ers live into their 90's whilst some die in their 40's.

Good point, is it simply genetics? i know that kids who have never been exposed to the filthy chemicals i put into my body each day die of cancer and other diseases.. Then once i shared a cafe table with a man in his 80's who told me he had been smoking a pack a day since he was 15 y/o and he looked like he could still kick my a$$..

i know smoking affects stamina, breatheing and a whole host of other problems but i have to wonder why it is attributed to cancer in some yet others dodge the bullet..

Could these older people be non smokers all there lives and then in their 80's be recruited by tobacco companies on sizable wages to walk the streets smoking and regailing us "younger folk" with their stories of smoking all their life? lol :-P

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Thank you very much for the post, this will definately add to my thoughts on why I should be quitting smoking.

I'm trying again this weekend, I'll be able to remember this whenever I have a craving. Among other beliefs I have, such as we are entoxicating not only our lungs but the universal air that all humanity breathes, it is not ethical to do such a thing. Of course I could justify and say I drive a car either way, BUT, I did have an experiance where I did blow smoke out of my lungs and found a spider entoxicated by my exhaled smoke, which instantly dropped to the floor. This touched my heart, I have such a respect for nature and don't want to hurt it. Ever.

Thank you again.

posted on Jan, 15 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by revolvingthought
Thank you very much for the post, this will definately add to my thoughts on why I should be quitting smoking.

I'm trying again this weekend, I'll be able to remember this whenever I have a craving. Among other beliefs I have, such as we are entoxicating not only our lungs but the universal air that all humanity breathes, it is not ethical to do such a thing. Of course I could justify and say I drive a car either way, BUT, I did have an experiance where I did blow smoke out of my lungs and found a spider entoxicated by my exhaled smoke, which instantly dropped to the floor. This touched my heart, I have such a respect for nature and don't want to hurt it. Ever.

Thank you again.

Thanks for that!

I hate spiders worse than smoking!

No its not my fault - its my poor mutilated DNA from all those cigarettes...Blame Phillip Morris, that bastid.
edit on 15-1-2011 by Cole DeSteele because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lansky

Originally posted by neonitus

Good point, is it simply genetics? i know that kids who have never been exposed to the filthy chemicals i put into my body each day die of cancer and other diseases.. Then once i shared a cafe table with a man in his 80's who told me he had been smoking a pack a day since he was 15 y/o and he looked like he could still kick my a$$..

I think it may just be a matter of resistance. Some folks will have more than others and are able to metabolize the toxins, and some aren't, and therefore DNA changes occur.

People who do develop secondary MDS (Myelodysplastic Syndrome) may have inherited genes that limit their ability to detoxify the causative agents.

Source

That statement, I suspect, is probably likely true for any other type of cancer, not just MDS.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Smoker's Blues

Originally posted by Wanker
I've been smoking a pack a day for the past 20 years, I wonder how my genes look

Well, if you put them under a microscope, probably something like this:

Fig. 1: Chromosome pair damaged by smoking.

Okay, sorry. Not funny. But it's not like it's a serious problem. Oh wait.

Well at least it's not like's a matter of life and death. Oh wait.

Aw, what the heck. Anyone got a light?

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by PoorFool

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

And this stuff is still fully legal and available on every street corner, while things like vitamins and herbs are being yanked off shelves daily, in the name of 'safety'.

Well said, this is ridiculous.

making something illegal only makes some ppl want to use it all the more so go figure

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Might as well post this here, as the other thread may not have much longer to "live"...

For sure tobacco, grown by the big tobacco company's with all their chemicals, destroy DNA. right after the first "puff". It isn't the nicotine that causes the problem....it is the chemicals in the processing of both the tobacco and the papers.

Used to smoke...quit, no problem. Thing is, there is tobacco out there that does not react with the body in the same way as "RJ Reynolds specials" I used to smoke pure tobacco, no preservatives, no additives, no chemicals, and organically grown. You roll then yourself, you control the amount of tobacco, and the papers are made from natural bleached flax...no chemicals.

If someone chooses to smoke, take responsibility for what ya smoke...hehe...i mean tobacco.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
I'm surprised that on a website such as this nobody has brought up the possibility that this study is false...

I don't believe Cigarettes are as bad for a person as we are being led to believe. What we don't hear because we aren't listening is that lung cancer, emphysema, and other ailments associated with smoking are really showing a very small percentage increase among smokers. Big pharm and the other AMA would have you believe that 100% of smokers wind up dead because of smoking.

In addition the statistics about the number of people who die every year due to smoking have to be complete BS. How do they know? They don't.

Again, I am disappointed. I certainly hope for your sakes you don't listen to the medical establishment blindly in other issues...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

And this stuff is still fully legal and available on every street corner, while things like vitamins and herbs are being yanked off shelves daily, in the name of 'safety'.

It's pretty obvious that inhaling smoke is bad for your health, but it's no so obvious that vitamins and herbs are bad for you.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
when i was 12 years old my child psychologist prescribed me cigarettes through his acting psychiatrist, for the calming affect, other than the use of chemical drugs, and my parents signed off and Ive been addicted ever since. this is the influences of big tobacco and big pharm. i personally feel that they should pay me $100,000 for every year ive smoked, plus pay to get me smoke free.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join