It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smoking causes gene damage in minutes

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by divinetragedy79

Originally posted by maybee

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Smoking is a putrid disgusting habit.

I hate it with every bone in my body.

I wish I could muster up the strength to quit.

OK... I'll make a deal with you. If we are all still here and alive, December 22. 2012,
we'll both quit.

Count me in on this as well. Here's to quitting! Or the world ending. Either way, we quit!

Sounds good. Maybe others too, if they want.

2nd line...

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

It is an odd fact but indiginous people that chew and smoke natural tobacco do not get cancer of the lungs, mouth or throat. Is it their diet that has something to do with them not getting cancer or is it the chemicals that are added to industrial cigarettes? Just an observation.

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I really want to quit, but it seems anytime I watch a family movie or programme, I close my eyes and see the word "smoke" as though it were magically somehow burned onto my retina... hmm

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 16 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
LOL - the only people who are advertising smoking in Canada are the anti-smokers

As for Doctors who read you the riot act with ridiculous theories - like third hand smoke - I strongly suggest that you confront them! And read them the riot act for promoting myths about on par with the tooth fairy. Ask the Doctor how babies survived living in houses with wood burning stoves or with all those new-age parents that think its pretty to light dozens of candles at a time!

My brother recently had a heart attack. Not because he had arthrosclerosis (clogging of the arteries) but because the coronary artery collapsed on itself. This is an inherited defect from my father who died at 32 of a heart attack. The doctor marched into my brother's room and started talking about smoking. My brother immediately asked him if there was any evidence whatsoever that smoking CAUSED his heart attack. Of course the doctor had to admit that in fact - there was no way of knowing the exact cause of any specific heart attack because there are literally dozens of risk factors. The entire hospital staff left him alone for the remainder of his visit.

I recently consulted a dentist about getting a tooth implant. The dentist immediately started talking about the risks of smoking in such a procedure. I advised him that I had already read all the available studies and that there was virtually no difference between smokers and non-smokers although drinking appeared to be a huge risk factor. To my surprise, he backed down immediately and admitted that it was all junk science but that the medical community relied on it because it was all they had. I immediately responded that a witch doctor is also using all of his available tools when he rattles bones and chants but that wasn't very helpful was it?

When you know the facts, you would be amazed at how quickly doctors back off. It is only the zealots who choose to believe in the cult of anti-smoking with its promises of a long healthy life and an easy death sung to heaven by choirs of angels that are difficult to talk to.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

Thank you for pointing that out, but I have to say, we didn't experience any of the side effects and we all tried the gums, cold turkey, patches, etc. with no success. This was the only thing that worked for all of us in less than 30 days and we are all great now.

Like I said in my post, I don't condone pharma in any way, I actually despise it. I was only reflecting on what had worked for my family and I and explicitly said that it might not work for everyone.

All I was doing in my post was giving other people anecdotal evidence that ONE thing specifically worked for several people that I personally know, including myself.

~Namaste

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
OK - So lets start a "Stop Smoking Club on December 22. 2012" (providing we're all still here and all is well) Anyone wanting to join, you're welcome.

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by maybee

I will even though I don't buy this study any more than any other tobacco study.
And I think that people are correct it's the chemicals they put in the cigs, and still our DNA would be damaged because they make sure that those same chemicals go into our foods and water supply, so really what's the point?

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

The one thing that really, really puzzles me these days is why they started putting cyanide in cigarettes??

What the heck are they putting cyanide in a cigarette!!??

edit on 17-1-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Smoking is a putrid disgusting habit.

I hate it with every bone in my body.

I wish I could muster up the strength to quit.

i feel you, and i just literally took a smoke from my mouth.....
makes me feel all yucky inside.
i've been trying to quit for years......put 'em down....pick 'em back up....throw em away...buy another pack.....sigh...

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

I looked up why they add cyanide out of curiosity (I'm switching immediately to natural tobacco cigarettes btw) and apparently it is added among other things to enhance ignition and slow burn rate. All the sources I could find were questionable at best.

My favorite was an quick blurb telling us they were added by the government in order to kill us faster to reduce the population. Yeah that makes sense considering all the stop smoking campaign money the government spends...

Whatever the reason you can bet it has something to do with enhancing the product because nobody is going to spend money unless it adds value in the end.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

Slows the burn rate? Cigarettes burn pretty fast already, I used to smoke rollies and they last longer than normal cigarettes

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Jinglelord

Jinglelord

Please provide a link to your information. I simply don't believe you actually read that cyanide is added to a cigarette to increase the propensity for ignition.

Cyanide is not "added" to a cigarette. Like most metals, cyanide is present is in the soil (all soil) and is taken up into the plant when the tobacco is grown. Cyanide is in all our food and it is present in trace amounts in our body. We are what we eat and since everything we eat is grown in soil - every trace metal in soil is also in us!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by liejunkie01
Quick, lets bring in the, I do not like what you are doing, so lets make it illegal police. Whether you agree or not with smoking, it is still a choice, a personal freedom that unfortunately I take part in. We are heading toward a Demolition Man style of living. If it unhealthy it is illegal. Look at soda and how it is linked to diabetes. While you may not agree with it, it is still a choice, freedom of choice will be completely gone from everything becausse of the health police. So please when you want to bash someone's personal living habits or style, remember I do not like coffee and it wires people up too much so we should ban it. Freedom is nothing to play around with, for everybody that bashes the simplist of freedoms, remember the next stop could be soda or candy bars, or those lovely little debby cakes that everybody loves.
P.S. I had a smoke rolled and ready to fire, I had to put in my two cents.
Please think about our personal freedoms, while not everybody enjoys it, it is still a freedom.
This is not directed at the op, just a general idea of where these health studies could lean towards.
edit on 16-1-2011 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

I am non smoker and yet fully agree with you. What you do in your own home to your own body is non of my business. The funny part is that some people on this thread suggest ban while still being pro cannabis, even though cannabis smoke also full of carcinogens. The simple fact is that no smoke is healthy, but it should be up to each of us if we want to expose our bodies to it as long as we do it in our own private homes.

I myself am allergic to alot of perfumes and such but yet i dont scream that people should ban it just because it makes me ill.
I also think there is alot of propaganda when ti comes to these studies.

posted on Jan, 20 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by maybee

I will even though I don't buy this study any more than any other tobacco study.
And I think that people are correct it's the chemicals they put in the cigs, and still our DNA would be damaged because they make sure that those same chemicals go into our foods and water supply, so really what's the point?

Well, we might have to wait until Dec 23, cause we might all be really stressed on Dec 22, just from making it though Dec 21

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   
This is not horrible enough for most smokers,it seems that many smokers are so brave that they aren't afraid of any bad results of smoking ,even death...

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lafaso870
This is not horrible enough for most smokers,it seems that many smokers are so brave that they aren't afraid of any bad results of smoking ,even death...

Not necessarily brave. If it were easy to quit, I'm sure most of us would. That's why it's called addiction.

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Amen brother!
Cough, cough, hack!!! -spits-

But I haven't heard anything about herbs and whatnot being taken off the shelves.
Then again I get distracted easy...Oooh shiny!

posted on Jan, 21 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
This thread doesn't make any sense.

First of all, minutes don't smoke.

Second of all, they don't have genes!

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I used to be very anti-smoking. Until recently I found a few articles on ATS about how the owners of big tobacco are themselves actually ANTI-Tobacco, How they took over the industry, monopolized and polluted it. I'm guessing to depopulate us and take advantage of the fact that they can put any chemical they'd like into a smoker with perfect consent like the military does with it's troops.

When I read this website here: smokingsides.com...
I discovered there are many benefits as well. Things that I was missing.
I used to chew on my fingers for example. damaging disgusting habit. How the black lung myth was only connected to cancer and that a doctor cannot tell the difference between a smokers/non-smoker's lung.
Also the small benefits having something to do with your hands relaxes you, being able to judge time and make decisions based on how long you've been waiting. Increases motor function, Increases short term memory. lastly of this short list think of all the people that do smoke, people you will meet have encounters with, develop connects you would have lost for holding smoking against them.

Yes I STARTED smoking based on these conclusions. I believe that taking the extra time out of your day actually is healthy for you, and if you don't die from cancer (Which isnt a big deal because I name 3 cures for it anyway that I could implement myself.. Use the search feature!), a smoker will live longer than most people! And I believe it is because they avoid the cog in the machine stress that we slaves feel, devoting every waking second of our work period for some #ty job we don't give 2 cents about.

Whilst doing my research I have concluded though, that if you smoke ANYTHING, it better be american spirits or grown by yourself! The chemicals are what do you in, and he's right, it is medicinal in the ancient usage, even spiritual. I have been smoking for a few weeks now, I smoke when I drink, and when I feel it's a nice time to think by myself. man do they give me a rush. I get high off those things. i regularly go days without cravings, I have left my pack on my poarch for days on end not worring about the rain coming in through the windows or theft.

I've lost myself in my argument. You get the point. They have benefits, but DO NOT confuse the chemicals with the plant itself!!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join