It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do YOU want to make a Difference ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Hello all

This is a bit of a plea but hopefully thought-provoking too..... it involves one of our food sources, Fish.....and the seas in general.
I live in the UK and having just watched a Channel 4 program - The FishFight - I have to tell you about it and
'raise awareness and support' because if I don't then I would be failing all of us....

Bottom line is that because of European Polictical Laws and Nonsense then HALF the fish caught in the North Sea (a rich but declining area) are thrown Back DEAD into the ocean ?!?!?
In it's own right, it is a disgrace and definitely a conspiracey whereby the Fishermen have NO choice but to follow the Political elites as they sip their wine and live off their (our) expenses....... It's Bloody wrong..

This link takes you to a website and short film.....have a look....... support if you want to, i hope you do...

www.fishfight.net...

This is an issue being raised in the UK public 'mind' currently BUT it is definitely a GLOBAL problem and we all have a duty to register our Disgust with the poor management of our seas by people whom probably have never been on a fishing boat in their lives....

Our appetite for the same fish, day in day out are sucking the seas dry. We have been brainwashed by the stores and tptb to eat just a few species to the detriment of all others and it has to stop.....! Cod, Haddock and Tuna have, since the 70's been depleted by 80%..

This is not about complaining about fishermen, in fact they know the seas better than most BUT this is about ''changing public opinion'' and giving the politicans a 'kick up the arse''''

You IN ??

regards
PDUK

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

I never actually watched the documentary, but from what I can see on your link, it truly is an environmental crime.

It is a disgusting waste of nature, and really needs to be stopped. Discarding 40% - 60% of each catch is just shocking, and very disturbing.

Sadly, I know only too many people, that are not interested in trying new foods. Say to someone...
'' Hey, why not try some flounder''
Response: ''ewww I don't know what that is... no way!''

This is so very true to so many people.

Things seriously need to change, and I am with you on this.

I will share this info around as much as possible.

Thankyou for posting on this matter!

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
PD UK might i suggest that you let people know the proper names of the offending laws along with the names & addresses of the people & departments where letters should be directed? polite yet firm letters arriving in bulk would get attention, and that's a start. best of luck to you, mate.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildeagle

Wildeagle

Thankyou for noticing this, it truly is a crime and makes NO sense at all when we can't even feed and water half the world properly...

Thankyou for your support..

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
2 things...

Firstly, nothing goes to waste in the sea, everything goes into the food chain.

I'm not making excuses for anyone, this whole thing is wrong and throwing fish back dead is a waste for the hard work and risks put into catching them and to the variety and economy of the fish retail and wholesalers and ultimately the choice of their customers.

Secondly, the fishermen should take their trawlers up the thames and throw those dead fish into it just outside the houses of parliament where the real dead fish reside. The real stink would cause a metaphorical stink and make an otherwise mute point heard (smelt). Any publicity would be good publicity wouldn't it?

I'd support these fishermen, (just signed petition) and I don't even eat much fish or live in the U.K.

edit on 13/1/2011 by nerbot because: addition

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

LargeFries

Thankyou for the reply.
I have attached this link which should provide, if people follow it some or most of the info you suggest.

www.fishfight.net...

I think the campaign is primarilary concerned with getting people to lend their name to it.. It is back by some very well known and the odd heavyweight celebrity.
In the TV show Hugh, whom previously locked horns with Tesco (and got them to change !) about Chicken welfare has once again provided some serious peices of information. Namely that, once again Tesco, who label tins of tuna as 'dolphin friendly' have actually been sourcing their Tuna catches from Net trawls from Ghanain waters. These trawls have caught sharks, turtles and dolphins as well as tuna....! Tesco say one thing and do another...it's pathetic....all in the TV program.

Just watching the wastage on the short video, on the link is enough to make you realise .... It Is Wrong and we MUST act as a responsible species...

Once again, thankyou for noticing....

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I believe there is already a thread on this here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Nerbot

Thanks for replying .

You make a fair point BUT needlessly destroying 'stocks' of an already depeleted species makes no sense...

Your point about waste fish at the Parliment is a good idea BUT there is already an Odour there !!

This campaign is not an attack on fishing BUT a wake up call for the incompetants whom set the rules AND also a wake up for the public to ''Diversify'' our eating habits......

As a society, we focus on mainly three fish types when there are many more to eat and choose from..... The stores etc ''Tell US what we should eat''..... the supermarkets call that 'Choice', is it ?

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
It is the The EU Common Fisheries Policy that needs to be changed.

Some points to point out.

Discarding juveniles means lower future catch opportunities and reduced spawning biomass.

For fishermen, discarding is a waste of time and effort in the present, as well as representing a serious potential loss of future income.

Here you can see a fact sheet regarding discards.
ec.europa.eu...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by PurpleDog UK
You make a fair point BUT needlessly destroying 'stocks' of an already depeleted species makes no sense...

Fair point about my fair point.

I live in France and from what I am reading in the link and from personal experience things are mighty different here.

The varieties found, even in the smallest supermarkets and fishmongers is quite amazing. Also, we don't have the usual fish and chip shops in every town which must play a big part in promoting only select species to the masses in the UK and from an early age when kids can say "chips". I think shellfish is just as popular as fin fish here too. I never realised there were so many different kinds.

The people need to change, they need educating and they need to be steered away from corporate shopping.

I hate big supermarkets, they claim to do so much for the customer when in fact it comes at a price that anything that cannot turn a quick profit becomes pointless to them. Parasites.

So...the more variety people eat would mean smaller catches neccessary of the depleted fish species...simples, yes?

top topics

join