It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Filthy pics from India...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

I thought they were mostly Buddhists. Sacred cows, etc.

They are not Buddhists, they are Hindus. And fatalists who think nothing matters.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Frakkerface

Yep.. I tried to explain this twice earlier in this thread. I even gave a solution that the government could institute and help out a lot.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   

I thought they were mostly Buddhists. Sacred cows, etc.

About 80% Hindu in India.

I think Thailand or Cambodia have the highest percentage of Buddhists, about 90%?

But I don't even think Buddhism is in the top 3 religions in India.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Religion↓ Population↓ Percent↓

Hindus 827,578,868 80.5%
Muslims 138,188,240 13.4%
Christians 24,080,016 2.3%
Sikhs 19,215,730 1.9%
Buddhists 7,955,207 0.8%
Jains 4,225,053 0.4%
Bahá'ís 1 953 112 0.18%
Others 4,686,588 0.32%
Not stated 727,588 0.1%

Source en.wikipedia.org... (surely we can trust wiki with this at least?)

I find it odd that people still almost always attempt to Factionalise countries to a particular religion. Race does not equal religion.
edit on 13-1-2011 by lnr42 because: damn...use the wiki link...my formatting sucks

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Thanks for the education and making many folk more appreciative of our own countries! I'm sure these people we see in the pics just don't know any better, as this is the way it's always been. What really does piss me off however, is the fact that whenever any Indians do make it to Canada and into the welcoming arms of our government, not only do they get more help in the way of health care, welfare and education, the money an individual gets is twice that of a Canadian senior citizen who has paid into the system all their lives! On top of all this, they treat and look down on us Canadians as though we are second class citizens. If we say anything against them, we are automatically racists, thanks to laws enacted by the government.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ypperst
remember, this is only a small part of India.

Don't think that the whole country is like that.

So true...the area the Chinese photographer showed in their blog is nothing like this:

www.keralatourism.org...

there is more to India than meets the eye from one person's blog.

ETA: India has a beauty in all areas that unless understood will not show it's self.
edit on 13-1-2011 by Holly N.R.A. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frakkerface
What the hell is wrong with you all? Too think that the motto of this forum is to deny ignorance... ha what a joke.

I'm not going to go through all the pictures and explain or defend what you are seeing because I'm sure that none of you would get it, even then. I will say though that it is a huge honour to have your ashes scattered in the Ganga, and that most people get burnt on a gat next to the river (which you can watch with great detail) and then have their ashes scattered in to the river but often the poor cannot afford the ceremony so they are just wrapped and put straight in the water. I also believe that babies are not burnt (i saw one floating). However, this whole process is the central thing in Varanasi. People travel from all over the country just so they can die there, next to the source of their creator. It is actually beautiful and is very interesting to see all the natural processes that we hide behind curtains.

As for the craps on the holy ground. Well, if there are no toilets near people will use the same spot, much like you get at western music festivals (walk near the fences next time if you don't believe me!), it's really not like you walk around and everyone just goes for a crap wherever they want. But hey, this is hardly the end of the world. A lot of this is cultural rather than being the government not putting enough money in to infrastructure projects (although that is a problem).

Respecting the cow poop? Do you know anything about the medicinal properties of it?! We have every reason to respect it!

I really don't understand why people can't handle or don't like India. I was disappointed due to the lack of culture shock that I got, it wasn't bad at all.

But carry on, back to your discussion.

Indian culture. Like what? The caste-system and slave labour?

The place is a hole.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
what is the big deal.. yes they are poorer than us and yes they put bodies in the rivers...

so wat...

it is the way the live and have lived long before the usa ever existed....

i have been there many times and enjoyed the people and the food...

kx

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
It shows me how much we take clean water for granted.

Imagine going out to your local pond or backyard dugout and drinking straight out of it. We would be so sick.
This is what many of them have to live with all the time.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by lnr42
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

I can't imagine a state in the U.S./Canada, or the U.K. living like this, without being descended on by federal dollars, and other missionaries, educators, and garden variety of do-gooders.

These are their own people, and they have a responsibility to help them out of this filth.

You sure?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Apart from cultural differences not much in it IMO.

Hrmm, I didnt quite notice the dead bodies in the street, the dead animals, the fetid diseased ridden waters with people bathing in, cleaning with and consuming it, the animals devouring dead bloated corpses, skeletons of half leftover human remains...

Let alone a single person actually..

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
What is perhaps more surprising is that there is not a bigger epidemic of cholera in the area.

I know they say a little bit of hurt won't harm you but this seems to be a bit over the top.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This honestly just baffles me. Do they not see this is wrong?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
This is no way for a human being to have to live. I am astounded that some people here don't see this as a big deal. It is filthy and disgusting and inhumane.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
www.chinasmack.com...

Apearently were not gonna bash india, why not? Every species has its unwanted, why not humans too. I wasn't gonna judge but screw it those people are rats, infested, disease filled rats who will only poison the rest of us eventually. Look at what they are doing to themselves, they're not trying to change they're ok with it clearly. when will another country intervene and set things straight, its only gonna get worse, thats our water too. Why are we letting them suffer, do they even no any different? Its a completly useless and filthy existance if you ask me. This is not ok behavior and lifstyle yet nobody will bash them like they should, everyone feels bad for them, we have enough problems of our own. I dont base my opinion on they're religion, race or culture, its purley factual they are human beings just the same as you and me. If some other race from another planet came here, i dont want them and their lifesyle representing us, if you were that being and you came here you wouldnt want anything to do with us (humans) at all, because we would just come off as a filthy animal thats infested our world and cant control itself, not some adcanced race like the one that would reach our planet in the first place.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
has anyone mentioned that the cow poop is dried and used for cooking as they barley have any wood left to cook with because the once heavily forested area has been cut down for fire wood?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
This only seems bad because its compared to what we are use to in our modern day lives in the UK or USA but go 200 years back and london would have rivaled these images only with more pollution. Also its so bad in india because there is such a large population of homeless people because of the hyper-urbanisation of the cities.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I got as far as seeing them drink that water...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frank Dinkle
has anyone mentioned that the cow poop is dried and used for cooking as they barley have any wood left to cook with because the once heavily forested area has been cut down for fire wood?

Good point.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
To the people that say we would be the same after a SitX disaster...

In all my time on this planet, I have never been tempted to poop where I drink.

Thank you.

The Rabbit

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I don't know what's the matter with some of you lot.

You don't really think that this is representative of how 1.1 billion Indians live, do you ?

Other than the risk of disease, I don't see anything wrong with the pictures, and what this section of Indian society is doing.

Don't get me wrong, I balked at many of the photos, but then considering that I am from another culture, that is hardly surprising.

It doesn't mean that my culture is ''right'' and the their culture is ''wrong''.

People need to understand this.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join