It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Derailing of threads?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Is it just me or does it seem that some people seem to make a habit of doing little more that just derailing a thread? I have noticed here lately that there is a increase in threads getting derailed. Some times to the point the thread is killed. Are some people doing this on purpose? Do we have serial thread killers on ATS? I am starting to wonder.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

The trolls are very much out of the woodwork it seems.

Unfortunetly there are members, who mind you never last very long; whose only mission is to disrupt and prevent actual discussion and debate.

The best thing you can do is Alert the staff...

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

I know what you mean, it's freaking ridiculous.

Completely off topic nonsense.

This site used to be mainly informative with a few quack threads, now the quacking trolls are running rampant.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

The trolls are very much out of the woodwork it seems.
Unfortunetly there are members, who mind you never last very long; whose only mission is to disrupt and prevent actual discussion and debate.
The best thing you can do is Alert the staff...
~Keeper

I disagree..Some seem protected..Alerts fall on death ears..
No action and no response...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I sometimes kill threads, but not intentionally. I'll come into a thread 6 pages in, reply to something honestly, then nobody ever posts in that thread again. It's like being picked last for the basketball team.

It'll probably happen to me in this thread too.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by harrytuttle
I sometimes kill threads, but not intentionally. I'll come into a thread 6 pages in, reply to something honestly, then nobody ever posts in that thread again. It's like being picked last for the basketball team.

It'll probably happen to me in this thread too.

I'll save ya mate..
BTW, you're the drinks boy

edit on 13-1-2011 by backinblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

I don't have much to add but I've noticed this trend too. When i see it is very often from fairly new members with little actual content to contribute.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I think lil wayne is awesome.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

From what I have seen, most of the time threads derail themselves in a natural progression. An OP, which cites a very specific example or thought, tends to lend to greater concepts, or vice versa. Once discourse begins, some threads seem destined, by their own design, to end up derailed.

Of course there are trolls. There always have been and there always will be. But pay attention to them. I do, and often it is difficult to do so because they find themselves banned so quickly.

As for favoritism towards some posters? Well, I can tell you that they get a LOT of U2U's letting them know that their posts have been removed - or asking if their posts are heading towards something on topic. That little green window scares me every single time I see it!

~Heff

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by amongus

Yeah, did you see his latest video!?

Seriously though: As was mentioned above, the best idea is to alert the staff the moment an off-topic post is made. And never respond to an off-topic post - not even with a post to tell someone that they are off-topic/trolling. Yes, it's typically new members that derail threads - perhaps not intentionally, just because they're not familiar with the ATS culture. But it's typically senior members that respond to the off-topic posts... Trolls troll because they seek a response/reaction. The moment you see an obvious troll and you respond to him the trolling was successful.

Let the staff handle it. That's why we're here after all.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gemwolf
Seriously though: As was mentioned above, the best idea is to alert the staff the moment an off-topic post is made.
How should we alert the staff?

The alert form says don't use it for off-topic posts so what other method should we use?

Alert form:

We encourage members to alert us to posts that might be a potential problem. However, please be aware that this feature is intended for flagrant violations of our Terms & Conditions such as trouble makers, insults, inappropriate content, and potential copyright violations. This feature is not intended to alert staff to minor issues like 1-liner or off-topic posts.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I was unaware that the alert form said that. I think it's there to prevent people from abusing the alert function. Some folks "spam" the alert (complaint) forum with minor issues and I'd guess that the wording is aimed at those guys. When a post is obviously off-topic then please feel free to use the Alert! function.

Only one alert per thread is necessary. If there are several off-topic posts one after the other it's not necessary to alert on each of them. The staff will review the entire thread (or at least the last 2/3 pages) and will obviously pick up on other off-topic posts.

If you find yourself alerting every second post, then perhaps you are overdoing it. We don't mind the complaints. We mind when people over do it, or when people are oversensitive.

edit on 13-1-2011 by Gemwolf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Spamming threads with the same comments is also against T&C but ATS seems to ignore that, why?

I don't need to name any member, which I know is against T&C, I just need to say this,

" Those damn fool conspiracy sites"

Now I would bet many members know who says that..
Which proves my spamming point...
Question is, why are they allowed to spam the same lines over and over, which is against T&C and in a lot of threads, also off topic.????

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

I don't have enough details to really respond accurately.

The question is - has the issue been alerted/raised with the staff?

If the supposed member simply posts that single line all over the place, then it should be addressed. If he/she adds it as an "afterthought" to all of his posts, then it's not really actionable as many members have a "signature line" they add to all their posts.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Derailing is part of the territory here. Some people will derail in a manner such as this, "as you can see the sky is red," when we all know by looking at the evidence the sky is not red. Some people want to attack your character, much like mainstream news reporters. Some of it is just goofy.

It doesn't do you much good to argue the facts someone who has a derailment agenda.

I don't get as bothered about it anymore. I used to fear having to come back and have to read through someone's post and have to reply.

But, I've realized to stand my ground, and be firm. And, just move on with the thread. It's pretty obvious to the readers who is trying to derail sometimes. They many times stick out like a soar thumb, we know who they are, don't worry about that. We see them. But, some people are pretty tactful, and convincing. I guess you could call this the soft-derail.
But, don't be afraid to put your ideas, and your truth out there.

Stand your ground, and let the mods handle it, if it gets out of control.

And, sometimes I think people mean well, but they are just mis-informed. Just like some of the doctors out there, they mean well, but all they are taught and understand are drugs. So, that's what they push in their profession.

Troy
edit on 13-1-2011 by cybertroy because: better phrasing needed

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   
check out this thread

""Be Prepared for the Cognitive Infiltration of ATS in the Wake of Arizona Shootings""

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by amongus
I think lil wayne is awesome.

Yeah, but lil' kim is much more talented than lil' wayne, and if anybody thinks differently they are real brain-dead idiots.

BTW, what about the whole thing being george W. bush's fault? Anybody that likes G. W. Bush is another brain-dead moron.

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowScholar

This site used to be mainly informative with a few quack threads, now the quacking trolls are running rampant.

And when was this?

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I have been off and on, with ATS since about '06. I --recall-- there used to be some pretty formidable challengers on here. They really know their stuff. You were actualy afraid -- to display too much bs crap (if you were one of those so-inclined little parasites) this is what I recall, maybe it's off. I have been (innitially) unknownly navigating INFESTED minefields loaded up with pranks and very old info and pictures being shown as very new, with sky-is-falling alarmism attached, then the rug gets yanked out from underneath. Or what appears as accutely emotional baiting, drawing the 'game' into the politics-divisionism tar trap. (I am ignoring those). I guess I will have to only rely on what the mainstream media says.
Well, wait. I can't rely on them as well.
I was thinking, "I will back off." ( on - off - on - off - on ----- off )
I learned from this site that there is technology that can make a video of an important official saying something which sounds like "the ET aliens are here". I can't keep up with deceptive technology.
edit on 13-1-2011 by simone50m because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

I agree Back. The gentleman you refer to seems to enjoy freedoms I don't. I've been censored numerous times attempting to reply to his rants. The bottom line is, he's not worth the time and energy it takes to refute his tired arguments. When viewed thru a larger lens, all the trusters spout the same old story. They attack the messenger or change the subject, always with the intention of confusion and never clarification. Even though their methods are textbook, it doesn't make them above obeying the same rules of discussion we adhere to. I'm not sure why these guys are treated with kid gloves, when it's obvious that they're up to no good.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join