It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rhode Island Governor Bars State Employees From Talk Radio

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
For all tax paid officials! Is it really about the taxpayer's money? Since when do they worry over wasting our money?

www.theblaze.com...

What do you think?

Slippery slope.....
edit on 11-1-2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-1-2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Well if it's a concern about taxpayer's money, State employees can't be on PBS, because that is funded partially by US taxpayers.

What an ahole.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

This is the sort of drastic step that politicians take when there is some dirty laundry that should come to light. I bet he doesn't want to take the risk of some public official making a blunder of himself or the administration for all the state to hear.

What a sad democracy we have. Politicians talking to people is a waste of money? Who would have thunk it.....

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FarArcher

Good point. Wonder if they will lower their tax rate now since they are going to save so much money? Ugh

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
I'm from this area and rhode island is definitely a corrupt state. They are most likely trying to hide the fact that rhode island is bankrupt. O well maybe people will turn to alternative forms of news

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Your thought was my first thought as well. We wouldn't want another Bidenesque gaffe master off the leash. This just amazes me.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tacomaster

Are the people in your area reacting at all to this ban, or do most care less?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Your headline says "Bans Talk Radio." Where does it say he "banned talk radio"?

Seriously, I am getting so pissed at sensationalized headlines. Sensationalizing is the same as lying, and it's a tactic used by our enemy.

People: Among friends we do not lie. Please stop this madness now.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I wonder if Rhode Island has a whistle blowers law? If an employee is off duty and not engaged in anything that he is receiving some kind of benefit for via the state...he can say what he pleases along it doesnt incite panic (like yelling "fire"). The First Amendment will prolly toss this rule aside.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Yes, as someone pointed out, your title is missleading..

It should be as the article headline which reads.

Government
Rhode Island Governor Bars State Employees From Talk Radio

There's a big difference..
I opened the thread thinking he was banning free speach..
Now I see he's merely stopping the pollies from telling lies on radio..
Probably a good things..
Actions speak louder than words/lies anyway.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

Seriously, I am getting so pissed at sensationalized headlines. Sensationalizing is the same as lying, and it's a tactic used by our enemy.

Wow! I regret that I did not consult you before I named the thread. I shall do my utmost to confer with you next time as I don't wish to put you out in any way.

Obviously when he bars them from talk radio (except in emergencies) he is not allowing them to use it as they wish. I was under the assumption that ban = bar. Dang my dictionary for it has failed me...

I deserve 40 lashes for my insolence and appreciate you pointing out my error.

Have a star! May it lift your spirits.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Again, it was not my intention to sensationalize.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2

I completely agree. This headline is very misleading. I see nothing unreasonble in asking employees not to broadcast opinions in public when they work in government.

In reality though they are free to say whatever they like wherever they like, like we all are. The difference here is they will not be working for that office anymore if they do.

I think thats a far cry from him 'banning talk radio' it's banned in an office. Thats all.

OP since you have posted multiple replies to your own post this obviously is an issue you find very frustrating and pressing. How is this draconian and far reaching talk radio ban for government employees affecting you? Are there many hardships for you and your family ahead due to this ban? .

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Title changed. Sensationalizing is not what I intended. Once again.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

How is it affecting me? Not at all yet. I just thought it was odd given the last few weeks events. Why say they are worried about the tax payers money now? They have not been before.

I replied to the folks who posted. I certainly was not just talking to myself. There are plenty of things posted here that are not harming me or anyone else at the moment. For some reason I can not add to that? Doesn't seem quite right?!

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

Title edited. They certainly don't say much that is worth listening to, but I am for their right to free speech. I assume they know what they can and can not say to the GP, so why bar them now? That's the only thing I was trying to get at. What happened that made him come to this decision? I certainly don't feel like it was concern on our behalf.

posted on Jan, 12 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
No slippery slope as if you work for any tier of Govt you are held to a higher standard and the State as your employer can dictate what you can and cannot appear on.

top topics

join