It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Funeral pickets to be met by 'angels'"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

Tucson, Arizona (CNN) -- Tucson just isn't that kind of town, says Christin Gilmer. Gilmer is referring to the actions of Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas, which has made its name protesting the funerals of people who died of AIDS, gay people, soldiers and even Coretta Scott King. But when the church announced its intention to picket the funeral of a 9-year-old girl -- one of six people who died Saturday during the attempted assassination of U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords -- Gilmer and others put their feet down. Tucson is a "caring, loving, peaceful community," according to Gilmer, who said two of the six people killed were friends. "For something like this to happen in Tucson was a really big shock to us all," she said. "Our nightmare happened when we saw Westboro Baptist Church was going to picket the funerals."

They're planning an "angel action" -- with 8- by 10-foot "angel wings" worn by participants and used to shield mourners from pickets. The actions were created by Coloradan Romaine Patterson, who was shocked to find the Topeka church and its neon signs outside the 1999 funeral of Matthew Shepherd, a young gay man beaten and left on a fence to die in Laramie, Wyoming.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Hopefully this will start a trend where Westboro is met with peaceful resistance against their cruel actions. We have to draw the line and then defend that line.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Alora

I am sorry, but I am unsure I would be able to be peaceful in response to these protests and would want to physically move them far enough away to not disturb those who are grieving.

In that regard if I looked in the mirror I guess I am not as tolerant as I hoped I could be.

edit on 11/1/11 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Alora

My blood boils just thinking about it. I mean c'mon! Someone has to bury their little girl now, and now they have to do it amongst a media circus? with people picketing the funeral itself?

Sick! it needs to not happen at all.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
lol-- to be honest, I don't think I could respond in a peaceful manner either. Which is why I have great respect for this angel plan. They are better people than me.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
...I actually thought you meant along the lines of the hells angels
These scum deserve no less for picketing a nine-yr old girl's funeral

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I so wish people would stop reacting and giving these Westboro pukes the press they so crave. They are self-admitted, exploitative leeches.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Alora

Good for them! You see people power works. No politicians needed. It is the TRUE American way. If I was there I would volunteer. I get choked about that poor child. The parents will never forget their loss - then these idiots intrude on that.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I was hoping that angel action meant that the hell's angels were going to show up and kick the crap out of the westboro tards.

Oh well.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by rufusthestuntbum
...I actually thought you meant along the lines of the hells angels
These scum deserve no less for picketing a nine-yr old girl's funeral

exactly what i thought

was acually saying "please please" when the thread was loading

not that that is the right thing to do and i should know better, but it would of been cool

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by downtown436

And that is exactly what needs to happen...those picket signs should be planted firmly in each of thier a$$es...really don't know what else to say, as a father of 4, my thoughts go out to the family.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I think that having the "angels" there is an excellent idea .

The HELLS ANGELS , that is .

Let those idiots from westboro try to protest with some big-ass consequences staring back at their pathetic cowardly asses .

Edit : Well , I see that I wasn't the only one who was thinking along these lines ...

edit on 11-1-2011 by okbmd because: eta

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Alora

That is wonderful!!!!!

Honestly though, when I clicked I thought it was referring to the group of motorcycle riders (no not the Hells Angels) that had provided security and kept the Westboro Wackos away from the soldiers funerals, I can't think of the name so if someone can help me it's driving me crazy.

I just don't understand how these nut jobs can sleep at night.

Maybe it is the Hell's Angels, but is there another?
edit on 11-1-2011 by searching4truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by searching4truth

You're thinking of the Patriot Guard network, which has been providing peaceful shielding from these pukes during military funerals for years now.

www.patriotguard.org...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you, I've been going crazy trying to remember.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
How far away from the funeral can the Patriots or another group keep these scum away? Are they allowed to carry their hate signs within so many feet, what's the law on this?

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
when i first read the title, i was hoping so much that maybe the Hells Angels volunteered to do private security.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

It depends on the state. In my state, Illinois, protesters can picket in front of the religious house, so long as services aren't being conducted.

If there are there are services I think they have to stay a block away, but I'd have to check.

Apparently, there isn't a current law in AZ regarding this issue but the legislature is working quickly to put something in place before the victims funerals, because of Westboro.
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I see a fight breaking out...

Followed by a lawsuit... I wondered if anyone else will die...

Do you think this will lead to violence?

It smells pretty bad.....

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
well seeing as how they like making themselves targets, it would be a shame if somebody somewhere began harassing them with something such as this.

gee guys, with something like that they could be harassed from a person miles away. it could even be set up on a tripod and activated remotely. i sure hope this doesnt happen, as it would be very difficult for them to identify and even more difficult to capture, the assailant.

i sure hope nobody does this.

<<   2 >>

join