It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do most americans dislike the british??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

I have noticed in my short time here on ats allot of hate from americans directed at the british.
Do most americans see the british as a weak spineless nation that can't do anything without american backing, be the backing financial or help to win wars.

Nah, its not like that. Not on my part or on the part of any other person I know anyway.

I am a british person and i love america i have family there and would prefer to be a 51st state of america than a european state. My feelings are changing after taking a bashing from some American members of ats. One guy even blamed the british for his ancestors being brutalised in some war way back.

Heh, people have different views on things, I wouldn't worry about it too much. That war was fought long ago, if that's what he is referring to, it has nothing to do with modern day Britain.

This is stupid because the modern day average british person doesn't share the same views our ancestors did, regardless of what our ancestors did it has nothing to do with us in this day and age.

Exactly

I don't really like the british government and disagree with a lot of their agendas but its like people think the british government makes decisions and that all the british people agree and that we are all tossers!!

rofl, welcome to the world and having to fight off the image.

When president bush was saying stupid things on the television i didnt think the whole of america is dumb as hell like him.

Does anybody see my point?

I get the point, sure. Your facing the same issue most americans do. You get on the net, you see how many people hate your country and your like holy sheepsh**! really? but.. but.. why? Then you have to read the list. All nations citizens face criticism, and at some point we have to take a lot of it with a grain of salt and try our best to make improvements starting with ourselves individually before we can change worldwide opinions. Hang in there.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
I think Brits are great - no problem from me.

Every so often here on ATS you'll see a poster from the US bad-mouth Brits. Likewise, ever so often you'll see a Brit bad-mouthing the US. Who comes out worse in those may depend on which side of the issue at hand your views are on - or on which side of the pond you stand.

Usually it happens a lot in the various gun control threads. Sometimes in those the debate degenerates into a more name calling type affair. I usually try to steer clear of the threads at that point. Political threads are another where this kind of things happen. We don't have to agree on everything - but that doesn't mean we have to call each other names.

This whole thread has made me want some fish 'n chips and a pint.

edit on 10-1-2011 by Frogs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I'm American and I like the British.

I don't know what else to say.

Third line.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Warning: NOT SAFE FOR WORK (language)

Eddie Izzard
expresses it better than I can.

"The British play bad guys in movies because of the Revolutionary war."

David Grouchy
edit on 10-1-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-1-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
The only people who have a problem with Britain on ATS are those who have been led to believe we have all been converted to islam.

Or the ones who think that we can't sit down and have a poo without an intrusive and marauding cctv camera peering in on our dump.

While the high-profile number of cctv cameras in Britain is a bit of a worry, I can't help to get irritated by some Americans who seem to be under the misapprehension that Britain is a ''police state'', at the same time that their country is meekly bending-over in a way that wouldn't be tolerated in Britain !

edit on 10-1-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NthOther
Hating an entire group of people, be it based on nationality, race, gender, etc., is a display of sheer ignorance. As such, it isn't worth your time to pay any attention to such drivel, and I don't believe it is representative of the majority of people in these forums.

Nail on the head.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b2db5cef6e43.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Not me, my friend!

I love your folk's accents and your sense of humor. You folks live half-way across the world and yet you still have a similar culture to us.

Nah, man. You guys are awesome in my book.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I enjoy having a bit of craic with our miscreant colonial cousins and look forward to the day when they return to the fold

Lol. I love this. Only you, Freeborn, only you. Most of us do so admire our Mother Country, and it's inhabitants.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWill

I'm sorry but if that's all you really have. Then it's very mild by comparison to what Americans are put through day in and day out all day everyday 24/7 here at ATS.

That's mild, seriously it is.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
To be honest OP if you come on this site you need to have a thicker skin.

You may have had a bit of a tickle of a brit bash.

But try being an English/(ex)Israeli dual national jew who loves Jesus THEN complain

To be honest 99.9% of the Yanks here are fun to hang out with and go to a hell of a lot of trouble to help make this site what it is.

Besides on this site you are part of a GLOBAL community of which nationhood means squat when tshtf. I dont know whether you lurked in the past when international disasters et al happen, but I tell you this group pulls together to give the most accurate up to date info you will never get on msm! And usually WEEKS before msm get wind!

Take the rough with the smooth dude. Youre British ffs man!

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by TheWill

I'm sorry but if that's all you really have. Then it's very mild by comparison to what Americans are put through day in and day out all day everyday 24/7 here at ATS.

That's mild, seriously it is.

Well ain't that the truth?

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Have not read the whole thread just wanted to put my 2 cents in from Indiana. I don't really hate anybody least of all the Brits, Love some of your tv shows like Dr. Who. Every country has idiots especially America. But still gotta love this country while it lasts.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Obinhi
My wife also likes to point out that your nation did at one point have a global empire, and your nation ushered in the moder world, the united states gave the world...NASCAR?

I think you'll find that both our countries still have ''empires'', so to speak...

Off the top of my head:

Britain: Falkland Islands, Gibraltar, Cayman Islands, British Virgin Islands, Turks and Caicos, Tristan da Cunha, Chagos Islands, St. Helena etc.

USA: Hawaii ( I know that's a State now
), Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, and a couple more that have slipped my memory.

I think that the age of empire never ceased, just that the colonial powers turned their modus operandi from owning and exploiting the land of their colonies, to a more ''PC'' version of just exploiting the lands without officially owning them.

However, Britain, France and the USA have the largest collection of colonial territories still in their possessions.

Largest, by number, that is, as Denmark has the largest colonial empire in terms of land-mass, as they own Greenland !

edit on 10-1-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: Forgot to mention St. Helena !

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
OP, why didn't you just ask whether Americans hate the English rather than the British ?

Americans don't hate the Scots, Welsh or Irish ... but everyone hates the English.

And there's so many in those 3 nations who don't even consider themselves British nowadays, being British and the whole notion of "the United Kingdom" just doesn't sit right in the 21st Century.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by stewalters1

"Do most americans dislike the british??"

No. I have never met an American who expressed dislike for the British, but most of us do seem to dig the accent. I have met a few British who dislike Americans however.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Niall197

Everyone hates the English, just look at the Eurovision Song contest ( nil pwoin) and the recent FIFA World Cup decision (again just 1 vote). There's probably a bit of jealousy involved coz its not like we didn't event football and have worse pop musicians than the rest of Europe.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Like I said, I wasn't saying that we'd been unfairly bashed. Someone asked, I had seen a couple of threads in which the OP participated and there was a level of bashing going on, so I posted them. I refrained from posting Cosmic.Artifact's little theses on how Canadians and Brits hate america, because the OP didn't participate, and it wasn't so much Brit-bashing as generally Cosmic.A blowing off steam. I think.

It made my brain hurt, at any rate.
edit on 10/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

(To be perfectly honest, I'm still raw from when the Americans chucked loads of tea into Boston harbour... If they'd thrown the Brits in the sea, fine, but what had the tea done to them???)
edit on 10/1/2011 by TheWill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by jetflock
The British are fine, they just need to learn how to tip, lol.

The British tip generously. I think you might be confusing us with the Australians LOL.

The last time I went to a restaurant - which was last month - I tipped the waiter £2.50, which is the equivalent of about 20 minutes pay.

Considering that all he did was walk out of the kitchen, offer us a menu, wrote down our order, and took the plates from the kitchen to our table, then I think that my tip was more than generous !

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
No, even though the majority of posters are from the US me
being from the UK have never felt any hate or indifference that
could be seen as negative.Thats why i love this site.
because of the broad range of nationality's that post here
and all the different views & ideals we all have.
I find the USA cool & hope to visit one day.
and i like to think i have some great ATS US friends.
There may be the odd joke but it's taken as just that.
I cannot understand why some would hold a grudge because
of history when all said and done it's in the past,
live for the minute!

we brits love to hate them frog eating French folk

(we can't help ourselves)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
Everyone hates the English, just look at the Eurovision Song contest ( nil pwoin) and the recent FIFA World Cup decision (again just 1 vote). There's probably a bit of jealousy involved coz its not like we didn't event football and have worse pop musicians than the rest of Europe.

Britain has had some of the best and most revered rock and pop artists in the world. Unfortunately, we send talentless nobodies to represent us in the Eurovision.

The low points for the British entries is because they are usually crap, rather than because of a sinister, underground group of ''English-hating'' judges.

Similarly, the English bid for the 2018 World Cup, on paper, was good, but the amateurish presentation destroyed any chance of England being awarded the World Cup.

Despite what the Mail and Express may have said, Russia were deserving winners, as their bid was novel and exciting.

Sadly, the main reason that England lost out, was because they were going to be a replica of the 2006 World Cup in Germany, only 12 years later !

Germany: rich footballing heritage, great stadiums, multicultural country, great country to enjoy the World Cup in, fantastic infrastructure and transport, huge boost to the economy.

Now look at the above, and tell me one reason why England would boast anything more than Germany, who only hosted the competition 4 years ago, and what would be 12 years ago in 2018.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join