Do most americans dislike the british??

page: 5
30
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

Originally posted by Yissachar1
reply to post by boondock-saint
 


BOONDOCK SAINT!!


Where are those pics at then?

well I do have a couple, but I don't
think ATS staff would take kindly
to it


She has not given me her permission
to post them here even though I took
the pics, they are mine but if ATS says
it's ok, then I'll post a decent pic


staff .... what say you ?????


I dont know if I should lose all respect for you now or be in awe..




posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Yissachar1
 


LMAO!!! Poor you again.. at least I can lie about my age and dye my hair.



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
You will probably find that the Irish win when it comes to disliking the English


Not so much these days though :-)

I have a few English friends.


Nonsense !

I watched a bit of the Northern Irish football game on the telly tonight, that involved the team Crusaders - who are apparently the fourth or fifth biggest side in Belfast - playing against Glentoran, I think, and I believe the attendance was somewhere in the region of 900 !

If the Irish dislike the English, then why do they slavishly follow our teams, and buy the replica shirts on demand ?


Why would the number of people going into bars in Ireland on Sunday to watch the Manchester United vs. Liverpool game, outnumber the people who would have supported their local Irish teams, if their home fixtures had been on the same day ?

Dislike the English all you want, but please get your own football teams to support...

edit on 10-1-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I can't remember the last time anyone said to me "I hate the British",... BUT... I think Americans get hurt when they hear the British criticize Americans. For example if you are an American car enthusiast and you watch shows like "Top Gear", it gets old when the hosts tare apart every American vehicle they test. It seems that no matter what car they are testing, if it's an American car, you can be sure they'll give it negative reviews. A European car can do no wrong, and an American car can do no right. Then you have hosts like Piers Morgan (who is scheduled to replace Larry King on CNN), and you read his opinions on American products:
Fame Bites - Piers Morgan


British food has a bad reputation stateside. "Really? We produce the best chefs in the world! Gordon Ramsay, Marco Pierre White. The thing about Britain is that we know how to eat the right portions. I mean here, you just eat too much food. All of you! You just eat too much. So we, at least in Britain, just like the size of our country, we eat things smaller in portion. We just don’t eat as much. Come here and in about a week you’ve put on about eight stone!"

Do you think with people like Nigella Lawson and Jamie Oliver that British food has gone global? "Totally. Nigella, Jamie, Gordon, Marco – they’re the best at what they do in the world. I’m not hearing many American chef first name superstars. Are you? Can you think of any? OK, you’ve got five seconds to think of a famous American chef by his first name."


n an unrelated note, why are British candy bars so much better than American candy bars? "It’s true! The chocolate tastes better. Our chocolate tastes better than your chocolate. There’s nothing you can do about it - it’s just a fact. You do some things better than us but actually when it comes to chocolate, we are so far ahead of you. Yours tastes weak, sort of insipid - it’s not real chocolate. Ours is proper chocolate. You get stuck in a Jaffa Cake and you’ll know what we are talking about."

Can’t be any of that American wine otherwise you haven’t got a chance. You’ve got two hopes of success with American wine – no hope and Bob Hope."


It's only when comments like these are heard or read that Americans start up against the Brits. I guess we just don't like to be looked down on.



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by stewalters1
 


i am from merseyside UK and have many friends from all over the world buddy, including americans and i talk with them on a daily basis. I have heard that some americans dont like us , but in general have found the majority to be very english/friendy.



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions
 


DOnt let food or wine snobbery bother you too much. If it does.. dont EVER go to Tukey or get into a food discussion with a Persian who can even marginally cook. They invented food and we'd all be eating dirt and worms if they hadnt invented cuisine.. according to them.
I love 'em.. but I swear.. the folks Ive been in contact with really have a my food is better than yours issue. Between us as people.. no problems... just dont bring up the F (ood) word.



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage
 





Note to Brits here.. if you want to freak an American out.. offer them Bangers and Mash for breakfast without a smile on your face.


I love Bangers and Mash!

Shepards Pie and Kidney Pie are great too.

Unfortunately, that's about it for British cuisine.....


I remember being in a Pub / Restaurant with my wife in London and she ordered a hamburger. I tried to talk her out of it, but she was adamant. In a surprise move, the burger was a burnt hockey puck so I ended up having to give her half of my Shepard's Pie which was a crime because this place did an outrageously good job on that Shepard's pie.

Now the Scots on the other hand can cook. Even the Haggis was decent in Edinburgh, although totally inedible in Inverness.

One embarrassing moment for me was when I ordered Kippers & Eggs for breakfast when we were staying at Gleneagles (awesome place!). I guess the word Kippers sounded to me like they'd be cute little fish...kind of like sardines. I'm not a huge fan of of the idea of fish for breakfast but I figured what the hell, I'd try it as a few small anchovy like bites might be pretty good. When the dish came and I saw the size of those monsters with the eyes still in them and looking at me and sticking out over the ends of the enormous plate - that did freak me out and kill my appetite and had the waiter cracking up after seeing the look on my face.

When he offered to get me something else, I said yes - Laphroaig please, in a very large glass....

edit on 1/10/2011 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I think the people of the UK are well liked by Americans. It seems to me that, here in California, if there is TV programming from or about a foreign country, the great majority of the time it is from either the UK or Ireland.



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage
 


Well, it's just one of those things. It's not really a "serious" hatred, just one of those pride things.
Sometimes pride can get a hold of both sides, they start with the "we're better than you, because" conversations, and next thing you know, some choice words are exchanged.
I wasn't born in the U.S. and I've had a couple of Americans make fun of my original culture, so I understand what it's like. Now that I've lived in the U.S. for many years, I can be a little sensitive when I hear the French or the British criticize the U.S. in one way or another. If we're going to mention pride, I should also mention Armenians. Having known a few, they are a very proud people. Name anyone famous or great at sports, and they'll find a way to trace their origin to Armenia.



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I have noticed in my short time here on ats allot of hate from americans directed at the british.



I would not call it hate but we here in the US are a little sensitive about a people from the UK posting here about how the US should be run and about the liberties of our constitution.

I have seen a number of post on gun control or internal politics in the US from posters in the UK that makes me wonder if they know we kicked the British out over 200 years ago.

These people tend to leave there location blank on there profiles but give themselves away as being from the UK on there posting on other subjects.

I also see this from the anti Israeli crowd and there postings with no locations on there profiles.(you have to wonder if they are muslims from countries that hate Israel or from Gaza.)

We don't care about there views but they should at least come clean about where there are/coming from.
If they don't we have to believe they are trolling.
And if you have been on the Internet for long you would know how trolls are treated.



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Not this one any ways made many trips to Britannia and fine folks like to argue drink and fight. My kind of people really. I mean you got your arses as the Irish would say as anywhere else. But in general just a lot of hardy good folks trying to make a living like anyone else in the world. One group of people that irk me from personal experiencing is Parisians. Not French people Parisians outside of Paris lovely folks helpful and happy, and just like us and the Brits. But that uppity we got your number attitude around the Rue Paris is irritating to no end. One love to everyone just as well, great food as contrary to popular belief. Really good Indian cuisine the best outside of India in my opinion in Britain..



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint
 





Man was she kinky !!! She was into B&D, S&M and such and she liked pain.


This post begs for a "TMI" comment but I just can't bring myself to say it.

(big silly grin).....



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sherlock Holmes

Originally posted by Lady_Tuatha
You will probably find that the Irish win when it comes to disliking the English


Not so much these days though :-)

I have a few English friends.


Nonsense !

I watched a bit of the Northern Irish football game on the telly tonight, that involved the team Crusaders - who are apparently the fourth or fifth biggest side in Belfast - playing against Glentoran, I think, and I believe the attendance was somewhere in the region of 900 !

If the Irish dislike the English, then why do they slavishly follow our teams, and buy the replica shirts on demand ?


Why would the number of people going into bars in Ireland on Sunday to watch the Manchester United vs. Liverpool game, outnumber the people who would have supported their local Irish teams, if their home fixtures had been on the same day ?

Dislike the English all you want, but please get your own football teams to support...

edit on 10-1-2011 by Sherlock Holmes because: (no reason given)


oh come on! There has been a notorious mutual disliking between the Irish and the English for hundreds of years. Just look at the plantations, fighting etc that has occurred, of course some bad feeling would be left behind.

Yeah lots of Irish guys support premiership football teams, its a sport, im not a fan of football but isnt the premiership teams considered the best, with the best players from all over the world and with international owners and managers?

It is quite funny tho when you see a guy wearing a 'Man utd' or Liverpool' jersey spouting off about the English
, and it does happen, unfortunatley.

Well, at least our two nations are getting along much better these days :-)



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage
 



if you want to freak an American out.. offer them Bangers and Mash for breakfast without a smile on your face.


If you want to freak a Britt out offer them Pancakes for breakfast.





posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by stewalters1
 


I don't see it myself. I like Great Britain and I like the British people. I've been over a couple of times and want to go again. Something very cool happened when I toured the Tower of London. An old Beefeater gathered us around and asked, "How many from Canada? How many from Australia? Hiow many from America? etc and named a few more. After he got all done he said, "Well, welcome home."

Brought tears to my eyes. That's how I feel about it. Although I and many Americans are "from" a great many places at once I feel a special kinship from Great Britain. I;ve traced my tree to (probably) the Battle of Hastings, toured the old houses, been on HMS Victory, etc. I try to follow your politics, fail, and keep out of it.

So my answer is a resounding "No!"



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Im british and have not noticed any hatred towards us but i have noticed alot of hate towards US people and the US government. Personaly im not a big fan of the US government but i think the US people are great and should not be judged by the actions of there government.



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Riffrafter
reply to post by Advantage
 





Note to Brits here.. if you want to freak an American out.. offer them Bangers and Mash for breakfast without a smile on your face.


I love Bangers and Mash!

Shepards Pie and Kidney Pie are great too.

Unfortunately, that's about it for British cuisine.....


I remember being in a Pub / Restaurant with my wife in London and she ordered a hamburger. I tried to talk her out of it, but she was adamant. In a surprise move, the burger was a burnt hockey puck so I ended up having to give her half of my Shepard's Pie which was a crime because this place did an outrageously good job on that Shepard's pie.

Now the Scots on the other hand can cook. Even the Haggis was decent in Edinburgh, although totally inedible in Inverness.

One embarrassing moment for me was when I ordered Kippers & Eggs for breakfast when we were staying at Gleneagles (awesome place!). I guess the word Kippers sounded to me like they'd be cute little fish...kind of like sardines. I'm not a huge fan of of the idea of fish for breakfast but I figured what the hell, I'd try it as a few small anchovy like bites might be pretty good. When the dish came and I saw the size of those monsters with the eyes still in them and looking at me and sticking out over the ends of the enormous plate - that did freak me out and kill my appetite and had the waiter cracking up after seeing the look on my face.

When he offered to get me something else, I said yes - Laphroaig please, in a very large glass....

edit on 1/10/2011 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)


You know.. Everywhere we have been over the yrs I really do try to eat the local cuisine. Its not just curiosity or love of food .. both of which I have.., but for whatever reason.. it really bridges the gap between you and the locals. They seem to delight in shocking Americans and Im all for laughing with folks who I cant even understand. Its kind of a universal language as much as sorrow. There are very few things that bring people together like food, laughter, and the openness of one to try to experience another's life in an honest way. You dont even have to speak the language.

The key to world peace is forgetting power or government BS.... center on food and laughter. If youd get the Kim Jong Il and Amadenijad at a table with Obama and Putin.. feed them something bizarre and tell them they cant leave until the plate is clean.... and make sure their translators were tied up in a closet.. youd find that theyd be more amused than at odds with eachother. Thats my peacenick moment for the day!



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
If you want to freak a Britt out offer them Pancakes for breakfast.




I would eat that pancake on the left hand side of the picture, and tuck in to the scrambled eggs on the right-hand side...

Why would a Brit reject this offering ?



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes
 



Year round?



posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes
 


LOL.

Please don't tell me that the ''scrambled eggs'' in the picture is a yellowish rendition of mashed potatoes...






new topics

top topics



 
30
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join