It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irish political party hacked by Anonymous

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
finegael2011.com...

Hot off the presses, the new website for a forthcoming election of an Irish political party has been hacked, apparently by Anonymous. The site seems to have recently outsourced their website work to a US company, not sure if that has any relevance to what has happened.

Edit: The party had proclaimed that the website could be used as a forum for discussion and recommendations about how the country can be saved from its current serious economic problems but had been accused of censorship of these comments.
edit on 9-1-2011 by J.Clear because: extra info

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Deleted now, see post below

img52.imageshack.us...
edit on 9-1-2011 by J.Clear because: image didn't work properly, cheers

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
The website currently reads:

Your website is ready.
This site has been successfully created and is ready for content to be added. Replace this default page with your own index page.

The link to the above image: img52.imageshack.us...
edit on 9/1/2011 by rexusdiablos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Cheers for that. I thought it was a good idea to get a screenshot while I could!

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by J.Clear
Cheers for that. I thought it was a good idea to get a screenshot while I could!

Well done J.Clear. Excellent work.

Backed up on ATS media here: files.abovetopsecret.com...

A possible explanation of the hack:

It looks like someone posted a comment that contains a link to a script, and this script displays the Anon image and text over the normal landing page. The script is then executed every time the site displays the comment. It's poor security by the developers to allow unsafe HTML to be posted as a comment. (And it's a very basic hack, my guess is that the the server wasn't compromised, so I doubt there will be any lost personal data/email addresses etc.) They should be able to fix it by deleting the comment from their database. (Although I though these comments were moderated, so I could be wrong.)

Source

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Fianna Fáil signed us over to the IMF with the economic bailout.

This was just an opportunist's strike rather than something strategic.

Furthermore, it's technically not a hack:

Agree with Spears, the fact comments aren't stripped of tags is a result of poor development/design. It's more a defacement than a hack, as there was no hacking going on.

Source

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I'm not surprised in the least, really, if it was something simple. Just as I would equally not surprised at all if they really had been censoring comments, despite declaring it an "open" forum.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rexusdiablos
Fianna Fáil signed us over to the IMF with the economic bailout.

This was just an opportunist's strike rather than something strategic.

Furthermore, it's technically not a hack:

Agree with Spears, the fact comments aren't stripped of tags is a result of poor development/design. It's more a defacement than a hack, as there was no hacking going on.

Source

I am surprised by the target. FF would be the ones I'd aim at.

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Update: it gets better and better. Not only did their site get done by some pretty simple "hacking"
but the personal data of 2,000 people who took the time to make their opinions known on the site may have been compromised.

Personal information - including IP addresses, mobile telephone numbers, email addresses, and comments left on the website by some 2,000 members of the public - were then forwarded to the media by the "Anonymous" group, which claimed responsibility for hacking the website.

The Fine Gael party told the Irish Times last week that data on the site was “absolutely secure” and protected under a “safe harbour framework” with the US.

www.irishtimes.com...
edit on 10-1-2011 by J.Clear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Anything more about this or the motivation for it?
I assume it was somebody on their own with some grievence, although it was unusual to see Fine Gael hacked in the name on Anonymous. It is concerning that peoples personal data was stolen, both from the point of view of someone looking to steal it, and how easy it appears to have been

top topics

join