It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This forum has become a hub of disinformation.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
I probably skip over a lot of good content simply because I can't read all these long things that get posted. maybe I could do that more if there weren't so many baiting threads. What is with that? I don't understand why people think...oh, hell.... I don't even know what they think. why would people want to just add charades? it seems like it's some kind of weird game for some.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaosMagician

armchair warriors getting off on rubbing people up the wrong way.a kind of twisted reality where they may feel safe behind their screens. i believe all crap stated will come round to bite the originator on the ass.
as for the baiters, i simply allocate their details to file 13.
we all have a responsibility to keep vigilant on this site to make sure the crap does not become overwhelming especially when it comes to new (vunerable) members browsing this site and getting the omg wtf fubar etc. mindshock needs to be avoided or mitigated to allow the new to ease into this without too much trauma.
f

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Members with minimal contribution and post 2008 membership should be immedately dismissed.... although ATS has almost become a corporation and hits is what the sponsors want to see...
edit on 9/1/11 by spearhead because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by spearhead

how about post 2006? how about a paywall? how about we just treat the entire concept as a work in progress and educate ourselves on the rough and the smooth?
f

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Well disinformation is inevitable in any form of media and especially in c-theory; but I do see where you're coming from. It feels as if the conspiratorial "spirit" has steadily leaving this place and pop-paranoia replacing it. If you're aware of any place one can find more thoughtful discourses, do tell.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
i was told to chew my food 10x

sounds like some here are pushing the plate away without even tasting the morsel

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Hello, new guy here. I just go to other threads when some go off the deep end. I don't get off on "you're a troll" "am not" "Are so" "am not". etc. . . .

Plenty of fun and informative stuff and if I can add to the content or provide a different opinion I will.

Disinfo agent appears to be "someone who disagrees with me and they are using facts".

I'm just here to offer what I've learned and hopefully do some more learning in the process.

*cheers*

CX

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by nittin
reply to post by SG-17

lol since 2006 ? Took me about a week or two to figure out the real agenda behind this website. Maybe you should dig a little deeper, and not on this site..

Yet like most others that apparently know the "real agenda" of ATS, you still frequent this place.

I would seriously think carefully when reading other sites opinions of ATS. I have done the same recently, mainly out of interest. I was interested in where members were going, there were some good members here, still are, but i do miss some of the input of older members.

However what i found was that most of the main conspiracy sites outside of ATS, seem to also have an agenda. That is to bring themselves down to a very embarrasing level where they think they have to monitor ATS for every slightest little thing it does wrong.

I was surprised at this. I'm not saying ATS is perfect, and the staff from the mods to the management will not get it right every time, but there are lots allegations being banded around the net without a shred of proof attatched to them.

The common factor in a lot of these sites or threads about ATS, is that they are started by disgruntled members or banned members. That is a fact.

Hell i've even had a moan at times, there have been times when i have been tempted to move on or at least take a break, but to start websites and be so sadly paranoid that i spend my time bitching about ATS on another forum...no thank you.

No matter what has apparently gone down on ATS in the past, one thing that hits home with me is that this site has not, and will not slag off another site on the boards. It may give an opinion, but not bring the standards down by setting up sections of the forum dedicated purely to bitching about another site.

Every site has it's faults, especially when run by human beings. Personalities will clash, ego's will be hurt. It happens.

There are enough bitter people in this world already, lets not include ourselves in that list just because of a few disgruntled stories. Make the site want you want it to be, not bitch about the site that is so bad you just can't help still hanging around.

If people stop for one minute and remind themselves that in the grand scheme of things, they really are'nt that important, we might all be able to relax and get on.

CX.
edit on 9/1/11 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by loam

Unfortunately I think you are right, and if the notion of free speech is to be maintained, then these posts must be permitted, yes?

I have been thinking maybe we need a new forum. One perhaps entitled Utter Nonsense.

Rule out "Hoax" forum, because it's not designed to intentionally mislead.
Rule out "Gray Area", because it's not intelligent enough to even be there.

The sub-title could be Where one-liners and mindless assertions are always welcome.

Sorry if this is a little OT. Just one of my happy thoughts when I logged in this morning and read about a strange new bird with one red eye who is behind the Arizona murders, and ATS could cause the CIA to be looking for said bird, among other candidates for the UTTER NONSENSE forum. Additionally, 90% of the posts are one liners, so I presume it's now acceptable. I once got my wrist slapped for that.

Sincerely yours, have a nice day, and good to see a post from you, Loam.
edit on 1/9/2011 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SG-17

Agree! But then there is also more disinfo in the news; nowadays!

I started visiting conspiracy-BBS's in the early 90's, so I got my BS-filters calibrated.
So I urge posters to show integrity and question their sources!

But more important: to seek the origin, and not to forget; the historic truth that are continuously being forged!

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SG-17

Agreed.I have read ATS for years now and feel that it has been overrun by idiots and "disinformants".Forums like the Predictions and Prophecies one are nothing short of embarrassing.Much of ATS's content is by now a gross insult to some of the truly great ATS posters.The pathetic spelling and grammar by many posters further cheapens the ATS experience.That said, it does usually correlate to a BS post and serves as a marker for disregarding said post.

ATS has also become a paradise for egomaniacs and bombasts who like to self-laud or preach in a condescending tone to everyone else.And the pseudo-mystic (I'm more enlightened than you) contingent are vomit inducing.

For example, the "Hello All, Do You Like Puzzling Questions?" thread by Maninthemirror.This poster claimed to know the answer to making the world a better place, even perfect, but could not simply disseminate the crucial information without first bragging about his superiority and then demanding that we all guess the answer, yet our answer could not be right unless it was PMd to him.How many fools danced to his tune?Plenty.Some even want him reinstated.Talk about sheeple............ this place is full of them.Kudos to those who called Maninthemirror out on his BS and thanks to whoever killed that tread.

I've suggested before that ATS could maybe run a two tier forum where the muppet fringe are kept in one tier with their own ilk and members with a track record of decent posts and literacy occupy the other.Perhaps ATS could grant someone like Schrodinger's Dog and a few others their own private forum where they can vet new members and moderate it as they see fit.Anyone could read it but only those approved could actually post in it.
And to those who are going to call this elitism or intellectual fascism etc,don't waste your time, or any more of mine.

Can anyone recommend an alternative to ATS that has not been stampeded by the ignorati?

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
I agree with your analogy. I have been reading this site for years. I had a really old account. I decided to take the plunge and start posting. Four posts in I was attacked by some paranoid member. Just because a person has less posts than you, does not make their comment more relevant. I believe we can still be civil.

reply to post by loam

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
No. It's the same if you say that internet is hub of disinfo .You may find here good info if you look .

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I am new, and so far still learning to post. I also have to argree there is alot of chaff among the wheat so to speak. I further agree that when you champion free speech it is not always going to be what you want to hear.

I came to this site, by doing a google search for Solar Coronal Holes, where I found a discussion on that topic. It was extremely informative, I learned much. It was put in terms so I did not have to be a scientist to comprehend. There were some alarmist postings within the thread, but there were some really funny ones too.

During the Bird and Fish deaths, I came here for information because the media were not giving anything meaningful out. Most of what I read were theories, some not believable, but others well thought out and some first hand. I had a need to connect with others who were also concerned. I admit to being spooked by all the deaths. To share with others was comforting.

I do not know how it was in the past, but for me it is working fine now, today. If I have to wade through some drivel or read someones rant, in order to find the jewels of information, humor and comraderie, so be it, it is worth it.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Ebb and flow my friend. Good information gets posted. The vampires come out, notice some patterns, and try to mimic the good stuff, but for their own ends. Some people just like effing with people. These people always get it back, at least as soon as their narcissistic supply runs out. BTW, THE truth can never be found, at least not without an immediate implosion of sorts. These patterns are at play. Honestly, our secrets give us power. It is why we should be very careful who we befriend and reveal ourselves to. Maybe some people feel like some angle they are playing, which happens to be revealed in some way on this site, is being exposed, so they naturally rush to muddy the waters. Ignore trolls, and they go away.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Just my opinion, but I think that the problem is more then some of the silly Posts that are coming up on ATS. I have been coming to ATS since 2006, and only recently decided to join. As I remember, even back then, people were putting up "prediction posts", and blurry "UFO pictures". The difference that I see between then and now is that when these type of posts use to come up they would die pretty quickly. Now when one of these posts comes up there is usually 3 or 4 members that keep the post alive. They argue back and forth about the reality of 2012 or UFOs. The original subject of the post gets lost in the bickering over whether or not to believe in UFOs or 2012. This might go on for 8 or 9 pages. Then you have 3 pages of those member who can't believe that the post is 9 pages long and/or received 20 stars.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

instead of 'dis-info' i think what this thread is about is called Puerile comments/commentary

puerile:Search

Definition of PUERILE. 1: juvenile. 2: childish, silly < puerile remarks> — pu·er·ile·ly \-ə(l)-lē, - ˌ ī(-ə)l-lē\ adverb — pu·er·il·i·ty \ ˌ py u̇ ...
–adjective 1. of or pertaining to a child or to childhood. 2. childishly foolish; immature or trivial: a puerile piece of writing. - Cached

puerile: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com
adj. Belonging to childhood; juvenile. Immature; childish. See synonyms at young . [Latin puerīlis , from puer , child, boy.] puerilely pu ' er·ile·ly adv ...

www.answers.com/topic/puerile - Cached
puerile - Wiktionary
Characteristic of, or pertaining to, a boy or boys; confer: puellile. · Childish; trifling;
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/puerile - Cached

puerile - definition of puerile by the Free Online Dictionary ...
pu·er·ile (py r-l, py r l, - l) adj. 1. Belonging to childhood; juvenile. 2. Immature; childish..
www.thefreedictionary.com/puerile - Cached

Dis-info is at least eloquent enough to cause a thought provoking sense of mind... the content of
a dis-info body of work is to make the idea at least plausable to a reflective mind.
fluff and tripe does not measure up to the classification of dis-information

imho

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I've said this before, and no offence OP, but 'disinformation' is a silly, gratuitous word. Information is information whether its valid or not. Disinformation suggests the opposite of information which I calculate to be no information.

'Misinformation' works fine.

Anyway, unless one is patient and open minded one may become frustrated in accepting that the most active forums consists of a blend of discordant but necesary matters; chiefly those of most general significance and those of most controversy.

One can draw much from this site, if only one does not look, but seek.

Peace

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Puerile, disinformation, misinformation what I do know is that it is a battleground for ideological concepts that are bitterly held. Hence there is little basis for denying ignorance. Many of these arguments deserved to be aired in the real world but people are not as open minded as they werein the past and everyone now goes on line.

For the record I prefer disinformation as it included misinformation and obfuscation.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by nittin
reply to post by SG-17

lol since 2006 ? Took me about a week or two to figure out the real agenda behind this website. Maybe you should dig a little deeper, and not on this site..

Nittin, which sites would you recommend?

SeaWind

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join