It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fact: Sunlight does NOT cause cancer!. It helps!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Found this very interesting video that is backed up by lots of facts. So, it seems we can sit out all day in summer and take in the rays and get healthy!
I knew this already without watching the video, but it's still food for thought for those out there that are inti-sun!

Watch the video to see for yourself!

Video
edit on 8-1-2011 by Neutradol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
well, the sun can cause Thymine dimers (en.wikipedia.org...) which can lead to cancer, but pretty much only if you are genetically predisposed to it.

IMO it's the sun screen that causes alot more cancer than the sun ever would

if the sun was killing us....we would not be here at all!!!

be good

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Well Sunlight does provides a damaging factor and we are really naked all the time.

D-vitamin is more important cause it is not just a vitamin. It is necessary for your immune system to work properly
In much greater ways then anyone realizes.

But the video is quite clear on it.

I am aware but still this vid is important.

Thanks for posting

S&F

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Neutradol

I say let's all try a version of Descarte's wager. If the guy in the video is right, we can all get sunburned to our heart's delight. And that's the upside? And the downside?.
Now if he's wrong, many of us die of malignant melanoma. And what's the upside?
I think I'll go with the theory that ionizing radiation like gamma,bosonic alpha particle, x-ray, and energetic ultraviolet radiation can cause cancer. Or maybe all the people in Hiroshima just needed more Vitamins. They will probably get Andrew Wakefield, ex-M.D., as an endorser.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Too much of it CAN cause cancer. Example; Tanners. A normal amount is good for our health.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by innervision0730

Your example does not relate to sunlight exposure ALONE. Re-check.
edit on 8-1-2011 by Neutradol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Of course it helps. The whole "sunlight causes cancer" bit was started as They looked for scapegoats to explain all the skin cancer after the detonation of the Trinity device in the 1940's. Lung cancer was blamed on tobacco (and in 50+ years of looking, with pure, unadulterated tobacco, no link to cancer has been found).

Sunlight helps the body create vitamin D in an available form. We cannot fully supplement for Vit. D and NEED at least 15 minutes of sun a day for optimal function.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by BadBoYeed
IMO it's the sun screen that causes alot more cancer than the sun ever would

if the sun was killing us....we would not be here at all!!!

Oh, this is VERY true. Thanks for pointing this out.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
My friend,

Originally posted by innervision0730
Too much of it CAN cause cancer. Example; Tanners. A normal amount is good for our health.

Tanners are not the same as the Sun, infact, they are not even in the same ball park, other than giving of rays....and false one's at that

Tanners should not be used at all, may as well jump in a microwave lol

I agree with the member who suggested lotions give the Cancer, just like spray-on deodorants do too

Infact, anything that is Pharma made for your skin [and indeed body] will give you a Cancer of some sort!!

Be safe be well

Spiro
edit on 8-1-2011 by Spiro because: add

edit on 8-1-2011 by Spiro because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

Exactly. It's not the natural that is doing us harm.... it's the man made pharma crap.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
Overexposure to sunlight certainly does cause cancer. However, as long as one is aware of his own skin sensitivity and knows when to get shade...there's no real problem (of course, unless you have a predisposition).

I remember reading a study that was released a few weeks ago or so that basically said...if you want to live healthily and long into old age just make sure you're tan. (more than likely because of Vitamin D...and subsequently magnesium/calcium.)

History Lesson!!! Before modern medicine, sick people were prescribed sun bathing. It was called Heliotherapy. This is precisely why I always recommend to my friends and family to take Vitamin D when they start to fill sick.

Sunblock kinda has a few negative effects. Not only does it inhibit vitamin D synthesis, it probably contributes more to skin cancer, and others, than does sunlight because of the chemicals contained in them.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I absolutely LOVE this topic

I try to tell friends & family about how exposure to sunlight is SAFE and they always throw the same straw-man arguments my way (ozone/harmful rays/melanomas...)

My usual counter to this is "Then explain how in 80% of the world where poverty runs rampant and people are basically living in the 15th century (with regards to technology and modernization), people live/work/play in the sun each and every day and their cancer rates are lower than in our society. Explain how tribes in the African plains can thrive and enjoy and almost cancer-less life."

The reply is basically - "well, they've grown used to living in the sun which has turned their skin darker which blocks the harmful rays blah blah".
I just snicker and raise an eyebrow at this point - just before pointing out the hypocrisy in their statement.

Hello! How did they build immunity to the "harmful, bad" rays of the sun? It wasn't by slathering cremes and lotions on their skin. It was..by....VIOLA!...Exposure to the sun!!!

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

I wasn't refering to the machines. Tanners use natural sunlight too. In fact and friend of my mom use to tan constantly almost everyday and yes she did get skin cancer because of it.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
My friend,

reply to post by innervision0730

Im sorry, my apologies

Can you link me to what you mean by Tanners, i did a google search and got results on Tanning lotions lol

I'm from Ireland so we may call tanners different things

Be safe be well

Spiro

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

Lol it's all good. Tanner- someone who tans. That's what we refer to them here, the tanning machines I think is what you thought I meant. I dont know, you confused me lol

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
My friend,

Originally posted by innervision0730
reply to post by Spiro

Lol it's all good. Tanner- someone who tans. That's what we refer to them here, the tanning machines I think is what you thought I meant. I dont know, you confused me lol

Bless

lol yea by tanners I thought you meant Sunbeds

Glad we got that sorted

Be safe be well,

Spiro

top topics

join