It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US orders Twitter to divulge personal info on Icelandic MP

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   

US orders Twitter to divulge personal info on Icelandic MP

www.rawstory.com

The United States Department of Justice is allegedly attempting to obtain personal information from Twitter on a member of the Icelandic parliament who is known as a supporter of WikiLeaks.

"just got this," Birgitta Jónsdóttir tweeted on Friday afternoon. "Twitter has received legal process requesting information regarding your Twitter account in (relation to wikileaks)."

"usa government wants to know about all my tweets and more since november 1st 2009," she continued a few minutes later. "do they realize i am a member of parliament in iceland?"
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.cnet.com
twitter.com
www.salon.com
edit on 1/8/2011 by Nicorette because: fix broken quote

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
At least Twitter has the courtesy to notify people that their information is being demanded by a rogue state. Somewhat chilling, as this woman is a member of a friendly government not accuse of any crimes.

Why her? Who knows. She was a supporter of Assange, but later broke with him over policy issues. Are they trying to contact all European women who might have had a grudge with Assange to create more nonsensical sex charges against him? It looks like Assange was smart to stay out of the USA.

Here is a link to the actual order, from Salon. It wants all information related to Assange, Bradley Manning, Rop Gongrjip (a Dutch Wikileaks programmer), and the Iceland MP, Brigit Jónsdóttir.

I'd wonder if any of the mods or supermods could tell us what is ATS' policies regarding subpoenas - have they ever got any, do they cooperate (obviously they have to), and do they notify the user that such a request is being made?

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 1/8/2011 by Nicorette because: typos

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nicorette

I'd wonder if any of the mods or supermods could tell us what is ATS' policies regarding subpoenas - have they ever got any, do they cooperate (obviously they have to), and do they notify the user that such a request is being made?

A good question: ATS what is your policy about releasing information about members? And have you had any such requests so far?

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Nicorette

I live by the fact that ANYTHING I post on the net is NOT private..

It's why I don't have a FB account..
s&f

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by avocadoshag

Originally posted by Nicorette

A good question: ATS what is your policy about releasing information about members? And have you had any such requests so far?

I am also curious about this

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I am reading the subpoena. (3rd link, in 1st post). The information they are demanding is very broad:

User names, addresses, telephone numbers, payment info
Complete internet history, time date, method of connection, data volume
All IP addresses and email addresses of all correspondents
Copies of all correspondence

Not really stuff you are going to get from Twitter, so probably a generic demand for all information they use all the time. Can we say Unnecessary search and seizure, rogue government?

Here is an idea - was Brigit given the password to the 'insurance file'? She is friendly and might be a safe, unsuspecting choice, and US maybe knows what is in it and desperately tries to get at it? Very odd.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
I also posted on this why did no one see

So they will let you know if your info is givin out?
Or didnt it say if they are forced not too that they cant....
eaither way this is wrong.
WIKILEAKS A SCAM.
CIA^^^^^^^^

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Starred

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:07 AM
link   
reply to post by backinblack

You are absolutely right about that!

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by kyeleigh
I also posted on this why did no one see

So they will let you know if your info is givin out?
Or didnt it say if they are forced not too that they cant....
eaither way this is wrong.
WIKILEAKS A SCAM.
CIA^^^^^^^^

Hmm, I don't know, maybe Political Madness forum only responds after it is talked about by Jon Stewart or Glenn Beck? This news is too new for them!

I don't think Wikileaks is CIA at all.

edit on 1/8/2011 by Nicorette because:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   

yea you may be right, but somehow the cables were left unpretected, convienently after this US calls for 'net-neutreality', nothings really happening to the people in the cabels, everyone commently on it seems fishy, it was so hyped up, Assange was seen eating at US embassy last year, and now this....just like franklin roosevelt says in my signature.....this is exactly what the government wanted and say them as a perfect oppertunity to take advantage of the awakened american people. Also some of the founders who where there in the begining for wikileaks have left, something about CIA funding....sound too fishy for me. Sounds like it was all planned, like 9/11, except this time in a better package, way better package
although you are right, they may not be CIA but they are part of the plan, they may not even know it yet.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   

I was speaking to her last night and she is willing to provide more information, once legal advice has been gathered. Others, including myself, were instructed to check our e-mail accounts to ensure the same has not happened to us.

This is quite alarming.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
The only reason the government is doing this, is so they can get IP addresses of all the places she "Tweeted" from in hopes that she tweeted from somewhere in the U.S., or had a private conversation (direct messages) with someone in the U.S., so that they can then raid that place, take all their computers, and search everything.

It's a drift net investigation. They are looking for something, anything, that they can use to threaten people who are directly helping out Wikileaks.

I'm kind of getting sick of all this technology. I'm all wrapped up in it, and beginning to feel sickened by it.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

You know her and spoke to her? That's great, power to you. You might advise her to check ALL of her Internet accounts, especially her ISP. I read Glenn Greenwald's piece on Salon, he seems to think they are after her and the others because of the release of the Collateral Damage video, but I wonder if some faction in the DoJ isn't trolling for the password to the insurance file.

I would think the No Such Agency has enough computing horses to have cracked it already, but they don't share that kind of info with ordinary mortals in the FBI and Department of Justice, let alone politicians. So there are probably multiple attempts all around the empire to try and find out what's in that file.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by harrytuttle

That is some good insight there. And I feel the same way with technology. I don't want to use the double-edged sword metaphor since it's so cliche. But I can't think of another.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Isn't this totally illegal? How can a US agency demand the private details of a foreign national? Even more so when she has committed no crime. These people disgust me. The US is under the control of freedom hating, democracy hating criminals.

Has Twitter agreed to the demands of these slimeballs?
edit on 8-1-2011 by Malcram because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malcram
Isn't this totally illegal? How can a US agency demand the private details of a foreign national? Even more so when she has committed no crime. These people disgust me. The US is under the control of freedom hating, democracy hating criminals.

Has Twitter agreed to the demands of these slimeballs?
edit on 8-1-2011 by Malcram because: (no reason given)

Twitter actually fought back for the right to notify at least some of the people whose records the government was demanding. They should be recognized for that. That is why we are hearing about this. However Twitter doesn't run an email service, probably these orders went out to all kinds of internet sites.

Is this totally illegal? I don't think the US government cares at all what is "legal" or not. They abduct people off the streets, put people in solitary confinement, wage wars across Asia just to enrich corrupt defense contractors.

No it's not legal, but they are the biggest mafia on the planet. What are we going to do?

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
"Imperialism" is the word that I would use here.
The US-Government is a bit too enthousiastically trying to force it's ill-directed will on the rest of the world.
As I once already stated: "The US-Government has learned quite a bit more than just "rocket technology" from the nazi's they shipped to America in '45 to '47 (operation "paperclip" if I remember correctly)

The are also starting to sound&act more and more like the "Commies" they so despised in the 60 and late 70's..now THAT'S a trulyscary thought...

In this they are also blatantly ignoring the American People, who are imho, hoping for a more "isolationist" policy..
We do not need all the trouble and meddling with the rest of the world. We've got our own mess to clear-out first. It's one of the VERY few things where I am in agreement with the Tea-Party.

On a side note: Whatever one may think of Wikileaks, I DO looove the way it makes the suits in Washington squirm and wriggle....

edit on 1/8/2011 by diakrite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

GO Jonsdottir! GO Iceland!

Interesting that the only country with the balls to stand up to these tyrants is also the only country in the world run by women.

They're also the only country that told the banksters where to stick it and cover their own debts.

Then a volcano erupted in Iceland.

Guess the tyrants will arrange another one now. Doubt it will make the dottirs fold though.

edit on 8/1/11 by soficrow because: typos

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Well I don't know about volcanoes, but the criminal partners of the bankers who robbed Iceland are hiding in London, that cesspool of corruption.

The Nordic countries should band together in self defense against the predations of the Anglo-Americain-Israeli axis of evil.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join