It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man without law degree accused of serving as attorney in dozens of cases

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

A Skokie man acted as an attorney in more than 60 cases. One problem, say prosecutors: He didn’t have a law degree

Tahir Malik, 47, of Skokie, is charged with two felony counts of false impersonation of a lawyer, according to a Cook County Sheriff’s office release.

At a hearing before Judge Earl B. Hoffenberg, a sheriff’s deputy testified staff at the Skokie courthouse grew suspicious of Malik and found he is not licensed to practice law after questioning him.

He has been held at the Cook County Jail since Dec. 17 on a contempt of court and false impersonation charge, the release said.

“No one suspected anything for years because he did everything right -- except obtain a law degree,” Sheriff Tom Dart said in the release.

“From his own arrest history, he was familiar enough with the court system to make certain motions and file certain documents in the court. There is no question that dozens of people from all over Cook County were misled by this guy,” Dart said.

Here's a link to the article.

I find it so funny that no one has to do anything but show up to court in a suit and they can pretend to be a lawyer. As long as you know some of the lingo, the documents you need, and how to file them, apparently you can function as a lawyer for over 60 cases! If that's the case, why do people spend thousands on schooling? It appears the day-to-day typical lawyer doesn't need it.

I always thought it was legal to represent yourself in court - or have someone represent you. I wonder if these charges will stick, or if he had a right to represent another person in a court of law?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by againuntodust

I think he may beat it, if he didn't charge them, but I am not sure. The only reason to pay all that money for a degree is so one can charge a crapload of money, I could probably give myself better representation than a lawyer, it's true. Because the judges and lawyers aare all buddies and make "behind the bar" decisions and comprimises on your behalf that most likely will not really benefit you!!! They are nothing but a big joke anymore!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by againuntodust

A Skokie man acted as an attorney in more than 60 cases. One problem, say prosecutors: He didn’t have a law degree

Tahir Malik, 47, of Skokie, is charged with two felony counts of false impersonation of a lawyer, according to a Cook County Sheriff’s office release.

At a hearing before Judge Earl B. Hoffenberg, a sheriff’s deputy testified staff at the Skokie courthouse grew suspicious of Malik and found he is not licensed to practice law after questioning him.

He has been held at the Cook County Jail since Dec. 17 on a contempt of court and false impersonation charge, the release said.

“No one suspected anything for years because he did everything right -- except obtain a law degree,” Sheriff Tom Dart said in the release.

“From his own arrest history, he was familiar enough with the court system to make certain motions and file certain documents in the court. There is no question that dozens of people from all over Cook County were misled by this guy,” Dart said.

Here's a link to the article.

I find it so funny that no one has to do anything but show up to court in a suit and they can pretend to be a lawyer. As long as you know some of the lingo, the documents you need, and how to file them, apparently you can function as a lawyer for over 60 cases! If that's the case, why do people spend thousands on schooling? It appears the day-to-day typical lawyer doesn't need it.

I always thought it was legal to represent yourself in court - or have someone represent you. I wonder if these charges will stick, or if he had a right to represent another person in a court of law?

You do have a right to represent yourself; however in terms of representing others I think he is going to get nailed because I'm pretty sure those "others" thought he was a lawyer. If they didn't he may have a case. However the idea of "anyone" representing you in court is not actually true; I believe that you must have someone who is deemed competent in law and fully able to represent you; if you do not have a competent lawyer then you can appeal a conviction due to that person not being able to effectively represent you. But if he told people he was a lawyer; he would be misrepresenting himself and that would be a felony.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I think its ridiculous that we need a license to defend peoples rights. I think he should get acquitted and we should allow non licensed lawyers.. the defendant can always ask for licensed lawyers.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

I don't see any difference in someone pretending to be a lawyer and those in the U.S. Congress pretending to be human!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Well, I think that the most pertinent information is his win/lose record. Because if he has a high win/lose ratio, then it just goes to show you that an expensive law school and expensive lawyers may just be a gigantic cuckold of the populace.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I think the question that we all must ask ourselves right now is:
How many cases did he win?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I actually kind of cheer for the people that show competent does not equal degree. What he did was dubious, but funny.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   

You don't have to have a law degree to be an Attorney, in fact, that's exactly what an Attorney is...someone who has not been properly trained in law. Which is what a Lawyer is.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

ATTORNEY. One who acts for another byvirtue of an appointment by the latter. Attorneys are of various kinds.

2. Attorney in fact. A person to whom the authority of another, who is called the constituent, is by him lawfully delegated. This term is employed to designate persons who act under a special agency, or a special letter of attorney, so that they are appointed in factum, for the deed, or special act to be performed; but in a more extended sense it includes all other agents employed in any business, or to do any act or acts in pais for another. Bac. Ab. Attorney; Story, Ag. 25.

LAWYER. A counsellor; one learned in the law. Vide dttorney

Bouvier's Law Dictionary

An Attorney is simply someone who acts one behalf of another person regardless as to whether or not they have legal training. A Lawyer is a person who is trained in the law and can still act as someone's Attorney.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   

why didn't he move to cali, challenge the bar and legally practice..

every other state is backward colonial maritime law corrupt courts... why pay for a degree when you know the law inside and out.. leagease is a language, imagine having to have a degree before you could translate from one language to another

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Seriously,
all this does is truly show that a person can really practice law without a degree.

Funnily I knew a guy a guy a few years ago going through some child support issues who fired
his lawyer and started representing himself...

the "other side" accused him of "hiring a lawyer" that wasn't licensed in the state the case was in
(he resided in a different state) because his filings were so professional.

Most people can do better work than the $500/ hour attorneys that are "required".

I hope this wakes people up.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
In my state a degree is not required. Passing the Bar is. He may be able to get out of it, i.e. if he's a good attorney!

top topics

join