It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When you vote for a new program, your taxes go up. Stop being an idiot!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
So, This happened:

OLMSTED FALLS When residents of the city and Olmsted Township voted to pass a school levy last February, it meant two things: more money for the district and less money for taxpayers.

During last week’s City Council meeting, several members remarked on the high volume of calls they received in regard to the levy.

The main complaint among fed-up constituents was that the tax increase, coupled with the new police and fire levies, is too much to handle.

The 8.7-mill school levy may be hard to swallow financially, as residents who own a home valued at $100,000 will pay an extra $266 per year, residents with a $200,000 home will pay an extra $532, and so on.

Ward 4 Councilman Sam Pulice said the public shouldn’t feel blindsided by the tax increases, given that the information was provided on the ballot, but he did say that clearer language could have been used to avoid confusion.

Source

Now, I would like to call "stupid" on behalf of the citizens. You vote for something that says..hey, lets help the kids out in school..btw, voting yes will raise your taxes next year.
They vote yes, it passes, then they are like...nice...wait, omg, my taxes went up! Rabble rabble rabble.

There is a flaw in democracy...a certain stupidity seems to hit voters when they come across keywords, ignoring any facts, details, research, etc...and acting suprised once its enacted.
Whats more disturbing is the fact that this type of voting style is pretty much the norm. See a keyword, vote for the feeling the keyword envokes, then be suprised at unintented consequences.

Democracy is overrated.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Thats how it works, then people vote for tax cuts and get pissed when programs are cut or get mad their state is in huge debt, and the cycle continues... more rable rable

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Wow finally we can agree on something...yes voting for government programs is the stupidest thing we can do. Here's an idea to fix our debt crisis...get rid of every useless government program! (and the fed too!)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Yeah, people. Gotta love 'em. As for democracy, I like my man H.L. Mencken's quote best:

Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard.
Link

edit on 1/7/2011 by yeahright because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

That is why the US was not created to be a democracy.

A democracy can vote to have SLAVES.

A democracy can vote to do anything it wants to the minority.

The US was created to be a Constitutional Republic where the RIGHTS of the individual superseded any and ALL wants of the majority.

When the US government and the brain dead they trained to be poo flinging monkeys, created this give me mentality, this is what we end up with. A society that believes they deserve something besides their inherent Natural Rights.

You do NOT have the right to someone else's labor. You do not have the right to steal someone else's property. You do not have the right to a service that someone else creates.

The monkeys have stolen the keys to the voting booths and they think they can vote themselves money and things.

I know you know this, you were just available.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Yeah, people. Gotta love 'em. As for democracy, I like my man H.L. Mencken's quote best:

It is not a democracy, it is a republic. That means we are SUPPOSED to elect people with enough brains to see the consequences of these laws.

My favorite H.L. Mencken's quote is:

The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.

It really describes Congress to a T

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
So, This happened:

*Snip*

Democracy is overrated.

Yeah! Democracy is certainly very bad for us!

*drunken hiccups*

Yep, long live Fascism & and let's get raped by this global fascistic corporate nightmare instead!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

if you believe that in todays quasi-ussr/nazi gulag state that voting works you are also an idiot..

yeah, im not being cruel, but if you belive voting will improve anything for us you are a COMPLETE idiot..

top topics

join