It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The best sounds!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Feel free to add your own list of favorites.

The best sounds I have ever heard.

-My baby cooing. Our daughter was 9 months old when we adopted her. We spent one month ‘in country’ getting all the formalities done. During that month, she had the cutest baby coo/sigh !! It was adorable and quiet and gentle. We didn’t have a video camera so I wasn’t able to get it on tape. The coo/sigh stopped just before we got back here to the USA. I’ll never forget it. It is my #1 favorite sound of all time.

-Absolute silence. Skydiving when I was 18 and 19, I heard absolute silence. After jumping from the plane, the plane flying away, and before the shoot opens .. not a sound. It’s different from quiet here on earth. I remember saying a few words and those words just carried away in a strange way and then .. absolute silence again. It was amazing.

-Rain at night. Sleeping in bed in the middle of the quiet night and having rain fall against the roof and hit against the windows. I love it. Also, reading in the middle of a rainy afternoon and hearing the rain and wind as I’m inside reading quietly by myself. Dunno’ why but it’s very nice.

-Niagara Falls. Listening from either the top or at the bottom. The sound of the natural power. It’s awesome.

-Dog happy noises. Cats purr, but dogs make ‘happy noises’. I guess it’s their version of purring. Our stinky ol’ beagle will cuddle up on me and when I pet her she’ll stretch out, close her eyes, and make happy dog noises.

-Kittens purring. I love it when kittens climb up next to your chin and purr right next to your ears. Of course, they usually end up sticking their cold nose in your ear
But that’s to be expected and is part of the fun. Kitten purrs! Ticklish and nice.

-Kids playing in a pool in summertime. I liked to sit poolside in the shade and listen to kids playing and splashing in the pool on a summer day. The carefree sounds of playing and having a great time, without any of life’s headaches makes me happy even though it’s the kids that are having the great time.

-‘Do you hear what I hear?’. A church full of people on Christmas Eve singing ‘Do you hear what I hear’. I liked being in the church at night; with it dark and cold outside but lit up and warm inside, and everyone with Christmas anticipation singing this song. I always cried.

-Fighter Jet Afterburners. When I was a kid we lived near Bradley Field in Windsor Locks, CT. We used to go watch the planes taking off and landing. (there wasn’t much to do around there back in those days … no cable tv, no internet, and we didn’t have much money) The Air Force would practice with their fighter jets and we kids used to LOVE when they’d kick in those afterburner things on the back. I think the A10s are stationed there now.

-The front door knob turning. I like to hear the front door knob turning right around dinner time every week night. That’s my hubby coming home. Great sound!! I miss him during the day.

-‘Hey Mom’. I love to hear my daughter say this when I pick her up after school each day. Heck .. I like to hear it when ever she says it. We wanted children for many, many, many years. And after adopting her she pretty much became my entire world. After suffering through many emotional childless-Mothers Days … I still melt when she simply says ‘hey mom’.

-A C5 ‘whine’. I like to hear the sound of the C5s whine overhead. For lots of reasons.

-4th of July Fireworks. The bigger the ‘boom’ the better! I like it simply because it’s a very loud celebration of America and it’s great fun to just cut wild and be loud once in a while.

-Beach sounds. Waves crashing on an empty beach; then pulling back; then crashing again; then pulling back; and so on. Add seagulls and it’s perfect.

-Fife and drums. Bag Pipes. Sitars.

-UPS Truck. The sound of the UPS truck stopping in front of our house during the Christmas season. Comeon .. ya’ll know you listen for it and, when you see a UPS truck coming down your street at Christmas time you secretly hope it stops in front of your house.

-Winter night sounds. On a cold, winter night .. getting ready to sled down a snow covered hill. Listening to the quiet. Listening to the sound of my boots as the land on the snow. Listening to the snowflakes as they fall on the snow covered ground. Listening to the wind in the bare trees. It’s so .. bleak and quiet … Poe .. or something. I loved it when I was a kid.

-Hockey skates, sticks, and a frozen puck on the arena ice. Then add 20,000 screaming fans and a generous helping of good ol’ fashioned Broad Street Bully spectator bloodlust and it makes for a fun afternoon!

-The opening sounds for The Twilight Zone. I love the old black and white episodes.

-City sounds. When I’m in the mood (and when I’m able) - walking in the city and hearing all the humanity.

-Beer pouring and foaming. I used to like beer. Not like a sot .. not that kind of ‘like’
But I used to like tasting different beers. My favorite – Appenzeller in Switzerland. Anyways, I like the sound of the beer pouring and foaming. Yes, you can hear it if you listen. It’s frustrating because I can’t have any anymore. But I still like the sound. Some kind of psychological Pavlovian response or something, I’m sure.

- Leaves. Rustling leaves on trees in a summer wind or during the fall when the wind brings them down in a colorful rain. The sound the make in the trees and the sound the fall leaves make when they make it to the ground. Then the sound of crunching leaves as you walk on them on the sidewalk while trick or treating. The sound of the leaves when (as a kid) you jump in a pile you raked. It crinkles around your ears and under you.

- Bacon. The sound of bacon sizzling. Probably another pavlovian response. yum.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Ocean waves...
Rain...
Thunder...

All put me at peace and relaxation. And are very romantic (and all that) lol...

My daughter laughing and singing.
My dog talking and making funny sounds.
Certain people's voices....not naming names

Star Wars ending song by John Williams (cant think of name right now)
Anything produced by Hans Zimmer

Odd sounds I love.....

Diesel engines
The turbo in my car
Helicopters

Hmmm...will have to think of more
edit on January 6th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
It's hard to add to your original list, a thunderstorm always sounds better from inside a tent!

Aghhh makes me want to cry with cuteness

Edit to add I hear these noises outside my window a lot and find it quite comforting to know there are actually some animals around, the noise isn't exactly great as it stands though

edit on 6-1-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
WALL-E's voice.
Slow, crashing waves at night when there are no people around.
Snow landing on my roof. I sleep in an attic bedroom, and it's like a soft pressing sound.
Birds in the morning.
Faint buzzing sound of distant lawnmowers in the summer.
Boards Of Canada - Aquarius

I agree with most of the OP, but I can't stand bagpipes. The sound of pure evil!

Nice thread!

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
best sound ever
edit on 6/1/11 by WorstCaseScenario because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by HexagonSun
I agree with most of the OP, but I can't stand bagpipes. The sound of pure evil!

Either you love 'em or you hate 'em. They can be screeeeetchy if you don't like 'em.
I like them. Not for hours on end. But for a while .. echoing in hills.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Absolute silence - I love it when you are standing in the middle of nowhere and all you hear is.........silence. There are some places here in West Virginia that are like that. No one around for miles and you hear nothing but the birds chirping and the leaves rustling in the wind.

Rain on a tin roof - There is nothing and I mean nothing like the sound of the rain hitting a tin roof. When I was a kid, the mobile home that we lived in had a tin roof. Everytime the rain would be falling, the pitter patter of the rain on the roof would put me to sleep most of the time. It sounds like the rain is beating on a bass drum as it hits the roof.

Locomotive turbo - I have always loved the sound a turbo on a locomotive, especially anything built by GM-EMD, when the locomotive starts to move. Maybe it is the realization of something that powerful in such a small package moving something really heavy.

The sound of aircraft taking off and landing - I just love the sound of planes taking off and landing at an airport that is ten miles from where I live. I especially love it when either private jets or those T-38 Navy Trainers taking off. Not too mention when the C-130Hs are taking off or landing,
The sound of the jet engines and the turbo props of the Hercs echoing off the hillsides here is just spectacular.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
This one always makes my spine tingle, not exactly nice because of its associations but I find it very satisfying on a purely audio level

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimmefootball400
Absolute silence - I love it when you are standing in the middle of nowhere and all you hear is.........silence.

You'd love sky diving. When I went up THAT was absolute silence. I thought it was silence here out in the middle of nowhere, but you still get sound bouncing back even if you don't notice at the time. The silence of freefall alone .... that's beyond silence here on the planet. It's freak'n amazing.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Great thread!

I love the sound of a creek rippling by when I'm camping.

Hearing my husband in another part of the house. Just knowing he's there...

A horse's whinny and nicker.

Light rain on the leaves overhead.

A good a capella group

Mark Knopfler on the guitar

And my dogs' groan/moan. Sometimes I'll sit with Jaia on the couch and he'll groan and I'll groan... with every breath. It's like we're talking. He does it over and over again...

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The sound of a revving engine, perhaps a Chevy Big Block. I could listen to it for hours and be entertained. Maybe it's because I'm a gear head, but thats my two cents :-P

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Hearing my husband in another part of the house. Just knowing he's there...

Thats so sweet! Nice to see that romance isn't dead

new topics

top topics

join