It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shift of Earth's Magnetic North Pole Impacts Tampa Airport

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+93 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Shift of Earth's Magnetic North Pole Impacts Tampa Airport

www.sott.net

TAMPA - Scientists say the magnetic north pole is moving toward Russia and the fallout has reached -- of all places -- Tampa International Airport.

The airport has closed its primary runway until Jan. 13 to repaint the numeric designators at each end and change taxiway signage to account for the shift in location of the Earth's magnetic north.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.
edit on 1/5/2011 by Mirthful Me because: Title

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
You can't get more official than this folks!!!!!!!!!!!

The poles have shifted. They closed down a runway at Tampa airport to repaint the 'numeric designators' to line up with new direction.

I am not an expert in airport re-designation so I am not sure if this is a common occurrence. I suspect not.

I've been reading about compasses acting up but being a non-compass owner, I haven't corroborated that rumor. But now...I guess I don't have to.

Can THIS be the cause of the bird die off? I know there are SO many culprits being flung around. I have a feeling it's a little of everything and not enough of one.

www.sott.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.
edit on 1/5/2011 by Mirthful Me because: Title

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I don't dispute the truth of the gradually shifting magnetic poles, but I don't see airports doing this all across the country or world...so I am leery.

I'll S&F ya nonetheless, thanks for the post!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Paroxysm

It seem very macabre to be starred and flagged for this type of news because right about now I am very stressed and freaked!
I s'pose that's still a S&F

But thanks (I guess)

link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

Star and Flag for ya

Scary times ahead of us.
edit on Fri Jan 7 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

+7 more 
link   

Great Find!! It is extremely uncommon, and almost unheard of to redesignate a runway! Especially a major runway, because it will also change every approach specification for every airline in the world, and it has caused inconvenience to the neighborhood. It is also probably the first domino, and since Tampa did it, many other airports will now have to do it. In addition, they build the runways along the lines of the prevailing winds. If the poles shift, and if the weather patterns shift, then the runways will not be in the optimal configuration.

I think these pole shifts are accelerating, and I think it is a cyclical occurence, and somehow that ancient knowledge filtered out to us, but we ignored it.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Ma Ma Mia - I came all the way from the UK down to New Zealand at great expense and now it looks like I'm going to end up back up there for free!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Okay. The magnetic pole shifted. The PTB play this event down all the time. But isn't that a concern? Won't the core soon follow?

What exactly do they know that they're not imparting to their minion?
Clearly Tampa airport can't be the first ones to discover this!

Like everything else, there's a deliberate hush-down on this matter and we are very much being kept in the dark.
Chemtrail cocktail anyone???

Hmmmmm speaking of which. Tampa (like West Palm Beach where I reside) was drenched in Chemtrails all week long.
Connection?
I do believe. I do believe.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

What are the global implications do you think? I don't mean to sound silly, but I'm in Australia, does that mean that the weather would become like canada or russia? SCARY

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The coin is flipping.

I dare to bring up a pole reversal but this could be the onset of one.
Great Find. star and flag.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I live in Tampa so I checked this story out.

The Federal Aviation Administration required the runway designation change to account for what a National Geographic News report described as a gradual shift of the Earth's magnetic pole at nearly 40 miles a year toward Russia because of magnetic changes in the core of the planet.

Link to full story

Apparently this is a slow and gradual shift. Interesting nonetheless. Thanks for sharing.

(ETA The comments section is hilarious.)
edit on 5-1-2011 by kinda kurious because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I think these pole shifts are accelerating, and I think it is a cyclical occurence, and somehow that ancient knowledge filtered out to us, but we ignored it.

Would you elaborate a little please (if for no other reason, to get my mind off this for a moment)?

I do find that interesting and I do believe ancient knowledge is TRULY suppressed. I just don't quite understand the connection you're making.
So if you please..................................

Thanks a bunch

link   
That's really funny. My compass is pointing straight north as usual.
Nothing amiss here. What a laugh.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I'm more of a lurker, but I had to see if this had been posted on ATS yet so I did a search. I live in WA state but am a Florida native who lived there 21 years, so I have lots of Facebook friends from back home. The below TBO article showed up in my live feed from 5 different friends in the last 20 or so minutes, everyone asking if this has something to do with all of the bird deaths. www2.tbo.com...

Pretty eerie to me, because the first thing my husband said when I told him about the birds in Arkansas dying was 'he wondered if it had something to do with the earths magnetic field, since thats how they navigate.'

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Wiseupall

That was funny!!
Gotta take the levity in light of the disaster!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Don't the poles move away from their current position like 2 miles every year or something like that?

I know that pole shifts have occured, or at least we think they have. The only question is how long does it take?

IMO it's going to take at least a hundred years or so before there is anything to really worry about. Although this could account for the colder weather in Europe among other things.

I'm no expert though, I offer only educated speculation.

~Keeper

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

S & F - great find. I am a bit freaked and stressed myself! The earth is changing - we and the wildlife have to hope we can adapt - or else!

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Shift happens?

Not sure why only one airport would be affected though.

edit on 5 Jan 2011 by schrodingers dog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Ok, my question would be, since when have the magnetic points changed their direction? I actually own a compass, several of them, even have 2 on my phone, and they all point the same way they have for as long as I can remember. It's well known scientifically that the magnetic poles move, but they sure haven't moved enough recently to warrant re-designing an airport runway system to compensate. Something about this report seems off to me.

+46 more 
posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Yes, this has been happening periodically, systematically, for decades. I can remember when the Washington National Airport main (longest) runway was 18/36. NOW, it's 01/19. Same reason the TPA airport has to change the runway numbers.

Here's how it works......runway number is a cardinal heading, to the closest 10 (ten) degrees. And dropping the final zero.

Using the DCA airport, as example:

flightaware.com...

Runway 19's actual, precise magnetic heading, as of the date of that chart, is 186.3 degrees. Years ago, (I don't have copies, but the way it works) the heading was LESS THAN 185.0 degrees...so it rounded down to "180"...and the last zero is dropped, for the runway number. They may let the runway numbering remain "as is" for some time, even if a survey reads the heading as "185.2"....but, eventually, they will update and revise everything....(NOT just a matter or repainting the runway numbers, either. Pertinent aviation aeronautical charts are all revised, too).

The North Pole has been known to be slowly "creeping" for at least the last hundred years, since more and more accurate measurements have been made. It is VERY gradual, and a matter of hundreds or tenths of degrees, when viewed from the scale of the overall size of the planet. It's simple trigonometry.

BTW, the TPA airport diagram, as of NOW (valid until 13 January, 2011):

flightaware.com...

As you can see, the "change" of the runway numbers is long overdue, there. The runway(s) headings are 186.5 degrees, for R/W 18L&R.....

Originally posted by getreadyalready
Great Find!! It is extremely uncommon, and almost unheard of to redesignate a runway! Especially a major runway, because it will also change every approach specification for every airline in the world, and it has caused inconvenience to the neighborhood.

NO it isn't.

The "major" changes? Re-printing all the charts, as I pointed out. Aviation aeronautical charts are CONSTANTLY being revised. The biggest (and only, AFAIK) private supplier of such charts, the Jeppesen Co., used to send a packet of revisions EVERY WEEK. Some years ago, about seven if I remember, in order to cut down on mailing expenses, and paper costs (because, like any company, they can only raise their subscription fees so much) they switched to every TWO weeks....at least, for the airline customers. Every time we go to work, there are revisions in our "V-files" (sort of hanging folder that acts as a"mail-drop" for every pilot). For airlines, they are tailored by airplane fleet type, because the coverage varies so much.

(For instance, if you fly only the Boeing 737, you don't have the full Europe and Asia and Pacific coverage...North America, Central America and Caribbean...IF on the B-777, then you get a lot more coverage, because of the many International destinations the equipment operates to.....)

edit on 5 January 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join