It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Robots of the US Air Force

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The air force has developed robots that will put he solider out of the initial assault on an airfield or any other target until the danger is reduced.

�With REDCAR we can integrate a family of robots to secure an airfield and take the warfighter out of the initial line of attack,� said Capt. Adolfo Meana, chief of the Force Protection Battlelab�s concepts division at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas. �The forces are kept in reserve to tactically move against the enemy. We put the robots in danger first and save troops� lives.�

Do you guys think its a good ida to have robots take an airfield saving soldiers lives?

usmilitary.about.com...

[edit on 8-7-2004 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
The army has been researching such robots too heres a pic of a base patrol model.

They also have plans for a offensive model I think its called the mule cant find any pics for it yet but they said it would be sent into high risk areas and would be used to gauge the strength of enemies in a area. Better to use a robot for stuff like that I would say

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Here's a pic of the Mule (Multifunction Utility/Logistics Equipment Vehicle)

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Yeah thats the one Ive seen plans for a model of that with a machine gun and what looked like anti tank missiles. The wheels have a great design that lets them kinda of crawl a wheel over a object pretty cool stuff. Ive been making small robots for awhile now as a hobby I love to see the ideals these guys come up wish I had a DARPA money to make robots

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   
The robots are only going to get better and more efficient with minds of people like shadow and DARPA's check book its a killer combo it cant be stopped I was watching a show about AI and they said around 2035-2040 robots will be as smart if not smarter than humans.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Another field of robot development that I find very interesting is the microbots. Such as the RoboFLY that Berkeley is creating for the goverment.

The scale that this thing is built on is just fantastic. A few of my friends have tried to create small flying robots not on this scale but still pretty small and the power supply is always a big problem for them. The mechanics work just the weight of them is never right. Berkely is making thier own power source just for this thing. The applications in surveillance for this thing are pretty amazing. Like the old saying I wish I could be a fly on a wall for that might no be to far off in the future.

RoboFLY

Thanks for the vote of confidence Westpoint

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Oh please, that thing isnt gonna make a difference on the battlefield in terms of Combat. (espionage, and recon though) Its not like the enemy is gonna be dumb enough to just stare at the thing and not fire like crazy with his AK's and RPGs. If they really want a robot for true COMBAT, they should make it something better than a volkswgon beetleesque thing. I wanna see some "I, Robot" crap, hehe. Better yet, i'd like to see something like the robots in the "Short Circuit" films, human form, but on treads.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
ASIMO with a gun please no

Recon can make a big difference on the battle field a soldier could send one of these little robots around a corner or down the next block to see whats there before sticking his head. I own a AK and something that small flying around your not going to hit with a gun or a RPG. If its quiet you will not even notice it unless it gets too close they are in more danger of getting swatted then shot.

Humaniod robots are far from anything that would be of any use on the battlefield in the near future. Japan is leading the world in this type of technology. No army is going to pay millions on one of these things to do a job a human can do better. The human form is by no means the best design this planet has to offer. Take a robot based on a insect compared to a human form If that robot could mimic the actions of a human or insect perfect the one based on the incect would be far faster and able to tranverse terrian alot better.Robots not based on any living design are another great way to go as they are not limited in ways living creatures are. Human based robots are great for movies like I-robot or the terminator but for right now there are better cost effective designs to use.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentMulder320
Oh please, that thing isnt gonna make a difference on the battlefield in terms of Combat. (espionage, and recon though) Its not like the enemy is gonna be dumb enough to just stare at the thing

What about the use of nanobots? Airdrop them from 90,000 feet over enem,y formations and lets them infiltrate, spread disease. Heat seeking nanobots could burrow into skin and get into the blood stream and cause total havoc. Imagine an nanoot that could generate an mini EMP blast. burrow into a computer, and poof, off goes your airdefence.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Haha! now thats what im talking about! Nanotechnology at its greatest. Another great i'd like to see is a mix of nanotech with soldiers, to create so called supersoldiers. Now i dont mean making em Solid Snake or anything, i mean something that could ensure that a trooper wouldnt freak out during a firefight and lose it, or lets say, something that will keep him calm and frosty, not shaking so much to where he cant hit the backside of a barn.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I cant wait for nanobots. Just imagine putting an injection of millions of them into a person with cancer they could go and seek and destroy cancer cells. Or nanobots cleaning your arteries there are just so many applications for them. There are also weapon applications for these little guys and that can be scary as hell. Imagine getting effected with bad versions of these little guys they could just wait in your blood for the signal to attack your brain heart whatever. I just hope they stick to peaceful uses of them though I doubt they will.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
I cant wait for nanobots. Just imagine putting an injection of millions of them into a person with cancer they could go and seek and destroy cancer cells. Or nanobots cleaning your arteries there are just so many applications for them. There are also weapon applications for these little guys and that can be scary as hell. Imagine getting effected with bad versions of these little guys they could just wait in your blood for the signal to attack your brain heart whatever. I just hope they stick to peaceful uses of them though I doubt they will.

The medical applications will be huge!!!! In fact the amount of applications that are non military are just endless.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 01:04 AM
link   
In terms of weapons, you speak of "foxdie", right? Its not really called foxdie, thats just a term for it i heard in a game for when nanotech infects you from the air or from a host that is near you, the nanobots attack your heart, causing you to get heart failure. That itself is scary, i bet that is out there RIGHT NOW. Still, can you imagine if nanotech modification became the new "hip" thing? Man oh man, i would be injecting myself with nanotech from the street. (bad thing is i'd probably end up dead of heart failure)

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by AgentMulder320
Still, can you imagine if nanotech modification became the new "hip" thing? Man oh man, i would be injecting myself with nanotech from the street. (bad thing is i'd probably end up dead of heart failure)

It easily could. the heart failure thing sounds far fetched but it would be simple to cause. Burrow a hole in a coronary artery (anterior wall is best) or burrow through the circle of willis in the brain etc. Or form a "bot" plug and cause a stroke or pulmonary emboli

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 03:50 AM
link   
I doubt they will stay off the battle field the military is very interested on nanobots also he little fly bot it is useful say you have a car or truck that has been parked on the inside of the road (car bomb) instead of letting a human get close you could fly one of these things to fly in the car and look around or hover out side the window looking in and if this think is equipped with a night vision cam you will not be able to see it flying around at night so its great for intelligence.

new topics

top topics

join