It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage Over New Edition of "Huckleberry Finn"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Outrage Over New Edition of "Huckleberry Finn"

ac360.blogs.cnn.com

New editions of the American classics "Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" and "Tom Sawyer" are in the works with all the N-words taken out. Is it censorship? Our panel weighs in on the controversy. Plus, an inside look at the Falcon Lake murder. John Walsh weighs in on the cold case along the Texas-Mexico border. Was the victim killed by Mexican pirates? His body has never been found.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
This is ridiculous....

Mark Twain him self was against Slavery... The reason the word 'n-word' (And I spelled it here.. though it may be censored by ATS.. I dunno why)is in this book is because he hated that era of our country as it relates to that.

This is revisionist history and there is nothing else this can be.

Your thoughts ATS?

ac360.blogs.cnn.com

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
"Why do people think the second they hear a certain word, it corrupts them instantly?"

Paraphrased by Frank Zappa. Indeed, this is just stupid. Let's just go ahead and censor some more art, because art is dangerous just like the real world.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Depends if it is a 'reprint' or an updated version. Either way, I think it is ludicrous. They talked however they talked. Just because we don't talk that way now, is no excuse to pretend it never happened. You nailed it with "revisionist history." Still, if someone wants to "adapt" the works in their own manner, I suppose that is fine. As long as they don't start editing Mark Twain's words!

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Only state authorised study materials in the classroom.. Cant have citizens grow up to be anarchists with minds of their own..
Truly sad and disgusting that the state is now destroying both history and great literature... R.I.P U.S.A .. Welcome to the totalitarian states of amerika - free thinking not allowed.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I am against it.

"A rose by any other name wouldn't smell as sweet."

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Star and flag. This is an outrage, the reason the use the word is because it is realistic, that is the way people spoke whether people like it or not. We cant just go changing history and make it something it wasn't.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
1984 Anyone?

Take these words out. Next we will put words in. A couple of decades later noone can quite remember what the originals spoke of. Right on track BB... keep em coming.

edited to add that I starred and flagged as well. Great post!
edit on 4-1-2011 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Hunka, I'd have to agree they are white washing history. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Personally, I find it to be very sad.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I am against the re-writing of the classics, especially if it's to "clean them up" as this appears. Dodgy and sad. It's bad enough that those two are barred/banned from many school districts... I suppose it's time to get hands on unaltered copies before it's too late.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I'm sure that kids these days see worse things than the n-word by the time they're eight or ten; a book that's normally read at 13 or 14 that has the word in it isn't going to kill them. As a matter of fact, they've probably already heard the word used quite a bit by then. That's the way things were back then; the truth isn't always pretty, and pretending like it is only does our youth a great disservice.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I'm no racist, but honestly what's the problem??

I deal with people of all race, color and creed EVERY day. The ONLY people who have EVER played the race card are, in fact racist themselves. Sure, history shows that at one time, white people enslaved black people. History also shows that at one time, for quite a longer time at that, that black people enslaved others. Asians have as well. We ALL, as a species on this planet, at one time or another committed this "crime".

It's time for people to accept the past as PAST and move forward to the future. Rappers use the word in a slang-ish form to relate to each other, and white people call not only black people this, but other white people as well. I have encountered MANY people, not just black, who will define this word as describing a low-life, scum-bag, or other phrase indicating a deplorable or despicable waste of oxygen. So why should a work on paper offend so many? It's just a word, and describes a historical view of a people, and the "way it was". To alter literature is to alter history. One cannot learn from the mistakes of history if the story is told unrealistically.

Mark Twain's books were written at a time in history where segregation and bigotry were common place. Abraham Lincoln himself was not against segregation as many know already

Negro equality! Fudge! How long, in the government of a god, great enough to make and maintain this universe, shall there continue to be knaves to vend, and fools to gulp, so low a piece of demagogue-ism as this?
– Abraham Lincoln in notes for speeches in September of 1859

What real cause does it serve, other than to perpetuate animosity, for our country - and the world for that matter - as a whole, to continue pointing fingers? Attacking new generations, who had nothing to do with the actions or in-actions of their forefathers, solves nothing.

I say boycott revisionism in all forms. One day, organizations such as the ACLU and NAACP will no longer be needed; A curse for them, a blessing for humanity.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Now, I know the guy who is doing this is the top most or one of the top most Twain Scholars. However, that being said, when I read this all I had to do was yell: BOO!

I mean seriously? I know he loves Twain and this scholar wants other people to fall in love with the author, but there was a reason that Twain uses that word when it comes to talking about Jim. You are supposed to feel uncomfortable with it- and it is supposed to leave a bad taste in your mouth, because in this story that is what Twain is trying to aim for. He doesn't want folks to like or colour over racism or slavery.

As much as the story is about adventure-it serves to talk about something larger. I understand the reasoning- but I don't like it.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pyrael

The problem is political correctness and it is helping to destroy this nation.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. What happens when big government starts rewriting it?

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

This is ridiculous....

Mark Twain him self was against Slavery... The reason the word 'n-word' (And I spelled it here.. though it may be censored by ATS.. I dunno why)is in this book is because he hated that era of our country as it relates to that.

This is revisionist history and there is nothing else this can be.

Your thoughts ATS?

ac360.blogs.cnn.com

I agree. It really is a small change, but it changes the books considerably. The simple minded ignorance of the yokel of that era. Does it shock? Good. It should. It was an ugly era in American history. It is imperative that we not forget those lessons.

People need to get a grip. I am of Hungarian descent. Bohunk is not bothersome. Nor is cracker. Honkey. Or any other association with which i may over indulge and create a point of pain for myself.

The only way to make this better, i think, is to treat over sensitivity in the same way that minor acts of racism are treat: with great public disdain. Otherwise, there is no hope for a society that is accepting of one another (and that seeks peace).

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Next on the list:
To kill a mockingbird

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valdestine
Next on the list:
To kill a mockingbird

Or Grapes of Wrath

(he stayed with my grandmothers family while writing that book. she didn't like the way he portrayed the characters)

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
does this mean we can rewrite the volumes of hip-hop songs out there that use this word?

please be true
edit on 4-1-2011 by TXRabbit because: spelling

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   

But the truth is, that when a Library expels a book of mine and leaves an unexpurgated Bible lying around where unprotected youth and age can get hold of it, the deep unconscious irony of it delights me and doesn’t anger me.

Mark Twain - Letter to Mrs. F. G. Whitmore, 7 February 1907

I do not even have words. With all the junk I was made to read in school I would really rather the school just not offer to cover a book than change it to make it easier to cover.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

Originally posted by Valdestine
Next on the list:
To kill a mockingbird

Or Grapes of Wrath

(he stayed with my grandmothers family while writing that book. she didn't like the way he portrayed the characters)

Reason #8,374 Not to leave your child's tutelage completely in the hands of another...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join