It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage Over New Edition of "Huckleberry Finn"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Q2IN2Y

Oh,I forgot there are other words in rap like,
me,you,the...The words that connect the cuss
words!

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This should be unbelievable. Unfortunately, in today's world, it is all too believable. S&F

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
i think it is wrong to change the book at all. leave it in its original for and if someone is offended they don't have to pick it up. I am more offended by the use of the word "n-word" than the word niger, we all know what "n-word" means but a person is afraid to use it and the cosequences that come from saying that word. don't say either of them plain and simple

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
welcome to your own country. Of course is not ok to change a clasic just because of double-morale reasons.
But any kind of racism is wrong. The past is the past, and in the times of Twain, thats the way it was. Today, saying the word NEGRO in your country is sometimes a racist thing, and many people avoid it. But racism is not a word, but an attitude.
Maybe the same people who have a heart attack whenever they hear the word, have no problem in consider latinos as second-class people, suitable only for hard work, and not good for their daugthers. So ¿what is the difference?

Your "american dream" is a WASP dream unless everybody realize hat the real change is in everyone. And that every human is equal to every another human.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

hasn't the bible already been re-written a few times

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by jed001

wow, see you can't even use a racial slur to make a point on this site, the "n-word" is just a masking of a racial slur. we all know what the "n-word" means and by saying the "n-word" do you really just want to use the racial slur but you are just to afraid of the cosequences. i think that using "n-word" is wores than saying the actual racial slur. if you are going to ban one ban all

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinnthia

I find it ironic that for the most part it seems ATS members agree that censoring this word in and of itself without regard to context is not a good thing, yet here at ATS where we all agree on that, it is censored.

The ATS site owners seem to be big into this specific kind of political correctness, but it's likely more a reflection of financial realities. I saw the thread that Skeptic Overlord (as I recall) started about the zero tolerance of racists (who are all "fools"), and it seemed almost silly. But, I'm sure they felt it was necessary to draw a line, because the bottom line is that Google will "punish" the site if they fail to conform in various ways, which includes language not deemed OK.

The real irony is that ANY racism directed at white people is perfectly OK on ATS, and by extension, it must be AOK per Google as well. Sure, I guess the beatings that Jews take are probably worse, and far more frequent, but I stumbled into a real dandy of a "hate-thread" one day on ATS that was advocating the genocide of all white people, including babies! The OP explained that whites weren't human of course. The thread had been going on for days by the time I found it, and out of the many posts, there was only one who called the OP,out on his vile rant. All the rest were nauseating "white guilt" apologies!

Was such a thread a severe violation of T&C? Well, I certainly thought so, and my post reflected my feeling on the matter. But ATS did nothing, apparently agreeing that white genocide must be a good idea! The thread finally died off when the OP became belligerent, and threatened to "gouge out eyes". So, how to explain this strange lack of concern from ATS? Well, the OP had self-identified as being from Ethiopia! And so, he had carte blanche from ATS, by all appearances, due to his perceived "race". Rather disgusting.

How bad will the pc madness finally get? I shudder to think about it.

JR

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
The dominant racism I see day to day, is the "hate honky" racism, that is PC acceptable, and taught in schools and colleges, and I see it reflected in the mentality of many posters. History is being rewritten, literary works sanitized. It's like a scripted effort to denigrate and remove honky. And even the "n-word" is censored, yet the H-word and C-word is not, so again, there is a racial bias that is present and socially accepted. This world is going down, it's already down. Maybe 2012 will change things, we can only hope.

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 06:21 AM
link   
reply to post by JR MacBeth

Thank you for stating this. Perhaps it's the bombardment from MSM and just about the entire culture we live in, but I was actually skittish about stating the same thing.

You said what is probably on many people's minds.

Star for you!

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by pyrael
reply to post by JR MacBeth

Thank you for stating this. Perhaps it's the bombardment from MSM and just about the entire culture we live in, but I was actually skittish about stating the same thing.

You said what is probably on many people's minds.

Star for you!

Yeah, think about how many others are out there, so beaten down by political correctness, they can't just share their true feelings. How does this help anyone else?

And, where does it end?

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom502
The dominant racism I see day to day, is the "hate honky" racism, that is PC acceptable, and taught in schools and colleges, and I see it reflected in the mentality of many posters. History is being rewritten, literary works sanitized. It's like a scripted effort to denigrate and remove honky. And even the "n-word" is censored, yet the H-word and C-word is not, so again, there is a racial bias that is present and socially accepted. This world is going down, it's already down. Maybe 2012 will change things, we can only hope.

YEP!

Just thought I'd quote you, and add to the encouragement, for others to come forth, and speak their minds.

Seems like very few have the courage to just tell it like it is these days.

I don't know about you, but I don't care who a person is, what color they are, I always appreciate a straight shooter. People who are too worried about saying things, offending you, or whatever, they probably are thinking things way worse then we would ever want to admit to!

JR

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
As an artist, I find this absolutely disgusting.
And worrisome for the future of artistic expression.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I find this action to be offensive! I cannot believe that a piece of history such as this would be altered to conform to political correctness.

I wonder how long it will take these revisionist folks to realize that a movie called Blazing Saddles exists? We will know when they do due to the sudden increase in cranial explosions among them.

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dilligaf28
I find this action to be offensive! I cannot believe that a piece of history such as this would be altered to conform to political correctness.

I wonder how long it will take these revisionist folks to realize that a movie called Blazing Saddles exists? We will know when they do due to the sudden increase in cranial explosions among them.

Oh man, i loved Blazing Saddles when i was a kid.

I watched it the other day and was shocked at it. Truly shocked that it was so popular.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join