It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nudge, nudge, wink wink... How the Government wants to change the way we think

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Nudge, nudge, wink wink... How the Government wants to change the way we think

www.independ ent.co.uk

These initiatives are examples of the application of mental techniques which, while seemingly paradoxical to the Coalition's goal of a smaller state, are likely to become a common feature of Government policy.

The public will have "social norms" heavily emphasised to them in an attempt to increase healthy eating, voluntary work and tax gathering. Appeals will be made to "egotism" in a bid to foster individual support for the Big Society, while much greater use will be made of default options to select benevolent outcomes for passive citizens
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Surprise, surprise....not.

Mind Control 101.

I recently posted the following article on Mind Control methods being used against us:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And it appears that we can officially add another methodology to the list---"Psychological steering"---Although I am quite certain this has already been going on for quite some time.

Lest anyone think this is merely relegated to the UK, I needn't remind you all about the TV screens being slated to be put up all over grocery stores, shopping malls, and hotels by the department of homeland security, reminding us all to be paranoid and afraid of "terrorism" around every corner we turn.

Still think our 'officials' do not use mind control and 'herding' techniques upon the populace?

The great news is, many are beginning to see through this programming and brainwashing warfare being used on us.

Stay alert people.

www.independ ent.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Ahh an article talking about moral pushing!

The public will have "social norms" heavily emphasised to them in an attempt to increase healthy eating, voluntary work and tax gathering.

They have been doing this for ages, try being a smoker!

Or having an "alternative" lifestyle!

Norm, heh he belongs at Cheers.

EDIT--
I finished the article, I think I puked a little in my mouth.

It will work though, people love loaded phrases. And that is what this is outlining, though they named it different---err loaded its own name.

In rhetoric, loaded language (also known as emotive language or high-inference language) is wording that attempts to influence the listener or reader by appealing to emotion.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 1/3/2011 by adigregorio because: Obvious edit is obvious

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Amazingly, it is Obama's regulatory Czar, Cass Sunstein, who is one of the big players behind this whole nudge movement. Of course, he co-wrote the book. The "Nudge" is all around us and in the White House. Michelle Obama is completely on board with this nonsense as well.

Ultimately, these goons just want us to show up to food stations to pick up our govt. issued and approved allotment of monthly rations. I won't even touch on the other issues in this disturbing book.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Good thing I don't do what everyone else does or wear what everyone else wears. I like to be entirely myself and completely unique instead of being "normal" like everyone else. A world where everyone does the same thing is a boring world.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
as in europe as in america, its a great manipulative way to take us over. I wonder what happens to the resisters? like myself I will deffinately resist. I woke up to government control in the mid 90`s. I strive to hold onto my own reality. It is nto easy because THE MAN is always working on new venues to take control of us.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Speaking of subliminal mind techniques, I clicked on their headline "VAT rise 'puts £250,000 jobs at risk'" (
Source: www.independent.co.uk... ) only to learn that in fact that the tax is projected to "put 250,000 jobs at risk". Quite a huge difference in meaning! So you have to wonder if that was simply in the subconscious mind of the author making the mistake, or whether it was both a subconscious AND conscious mistake.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

This has been happening since WWI.

Edward Bernays and Ivy Lee were employed by the US Government to "sell" WWI to the people.

These two men are responsible for the creation of the public relations industry.
And that is exactly what propaganda is.
An appeal to irrational emotions that causes people to engage in behaviors that are not based upon rational thought, but solely emotional appeals.

edit on 1/3/2011 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Well they seem to be working in some cases: from the article

One experiment involved Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) secretly changing the wording of tens of thousands of tax letters, leading to the collection of an extra £200m in income tax.

It's amazing what changing wording can do sometimes, just shows you the power of suggestion.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Great find and indicative of the 'governance' mindset. The following stuff about The Delphi Technique has been around for awhile, but I think it's appropriate to bring up here, because you might have--or might be--exposed to this at some point.

The Delphi Technique was originally conceived as a way to obtain the opinion of experts without necessarily bringing them together face to face. In Educating for the New World Order by Bev Eakman, the reader finds reference upon reference for the need to preserve the illusion that there is "Lay, or community, participation in the decision­making process), while in fact lay citizens are being squeezed out."...

...The method works. It is very effective with parents, teachers, school children, and any community group. The "targets" rarely, if ever, know that they are being manipulated. If they do suspect this is happening, they do not know how to end the process…

…This technique is a very unethical method of achieving consensus on a controversial topic in group settings. It requires well­trained professionals who deliberately escalate tension among group members, pitting one faction against the other, so as to make one viewpoint appear ridiculous so the other becomes "sensible" whether such is warranted or not.

www.conspiracyarchive.com...

Hopefully, mental resistance to all such programming is not futile...
edit on 3-1-2011 by The GUT because: fixy

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
It's only social engineering at work, nothing new since the 19th century. Move along.....

Utlimately, REALITY, logic and reason is the only antidote to brainwashing, no matter how strong techniques can be use to wash the mind. The truth can be manipulated, but the 5 senses and inherent human instincts are difficult to be re-programmed.

Mankind had not achieved that level of mental progress as our comprehension of neuroscience is still at its infancy, fortunately for us all.

Just simply show the brainwashed man the world and let him interact on his free will, and the suds from the brainwashing will scatter, and he will weep at his own mental manipulation by others.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

One experiment involved Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) secretly changing the wording of tens of thousands of tax letters, leading to the collection of an extra £200m in income tax.

It's amazing what changing wording can do sometimes, just shows you the power of suggestion.

If you think the wording is amazing, then ponder the reality of when ever Olympic games are held and at which ever country and if your currently living in England then you will notice an increase in traffic during the 2012 games. It wont be due to the amount of tourists, but rather to an insignificant but effective method of delaying traffic lights by 1 - 2 seconds that amounts to hundreds of millions in tax revenue due to the consumption of fuel within traffic congestured areas and surround districts.

edit: Just a quick message to our members who live within the U.K. and central London area, if you have the time and the help you can go through the major intersections and record the current time allocated to red and green lights. Although this may have already been changed, if not, then your recordings will be an eye opener. Remember, its far easier to conceal in plain view.
edit on 3-1-2011 by tristar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Hey good luck with that! My own mother can't bully me along. I think most people on ATS are free thinkers, however the mainstream public are pure sheep.

It would be nice if places like Mc Donald's offered healthier food choices for people I have to admitt. The governemnt should offer nutrition classes in grade school! I have a hard time getting one child of mine
to try healthier foods. I usually buy a book on something I want change in and leave it on the coffe table.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Just inject a bit of debate into the topic I’d like to suggest that this isn’t as bad as people will make out and could be quite good.

I don’t think it’s too controversial to say that that people’s behaviours and views will be influenced by some force or another regardless of the means or source. Whether it’s advertising that promotes fatty foods or peer pressure that promotes racism, people’s behaviours and beliefs will generally come from an outside source.

I also don’t think it is controversial to say that someone will always want to actively influence behaviour.

So the question that this topic really asks is: “should we leave the ability to influence the public to market forces alone?”

Are we happy for fast food restaurants to freely nudge people towards their products without a counter point trying to inject restraint and a desire for healthy eating? If we are against governments getting involved then we essentially leave the world to those with the money and power to do with as they wish.

The choice isn’t between being influenced and not being influenced it is between being influenced according to profit orientated goals or social orientated goals.

It is also true that deciding not to try to influence people is not the same as not influencing them. Assuming a government decides not to do this kind of thing the decisions is does take as a necessity to fulfilling its roles will still affect the behaviour of the public; in the case of the income tax example in the OP’s article one wording is said to have influenced people to have given more money but the previous wording can also be said to have influenced them to not give more money. If the purpose of that department is to raise all legal taxes then shouldn’t they use all legal means to do this? The UK loses billions in taxes to avoidance schemes, if HMRC can “nudge” these people into paying their full tax amount then is that still bad?

Of course governments can abuse this ability but that is why we have opposition parties and other groups whose sole intention is to keep such abuse in check.

This isn’t mind control or brainwashing, that’s just sensationalism; people still have choices and they still have access to information.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

As a smoker and someone who has a pretty alternative lifestyle it's pretty easy to avoid any nudging that may be occurring

a) stop watching the news and programs where people sit around discussing news stories

b) disregard everyone else's opinions as invalid and unimportant.

easy

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
star and flag not like you need em

for all the Ayn Rand bashing she sure was prophetic

" they dont want your money they just want you to lose it"

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I'm a fan of your threads, and of government conspiracy theory's but I fail to see how this is a bad thing? They want people eat better, help each other, and save the earth...

Can you help me understand the mind control aspect here....? It seems they are simply promoting healthy green living...

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar

Originally posted by pavil

If you think the wording is amazing, then ponder the reality of when ever Olympic games are held and at which ever country and if your currently living in England then you will notice an increase in traffic during the 2012 games. It wont be due to the amount of tourists, but rather to an insignificant but effective method of delaying traffic lights by 1 - 2 seconds that amounts to hundreds of millions in tax revenue due to the consumption of fuel within traffic congestured areas and surround districts.

edit: Just a quick message to our members who live within the U.K. and central London area, if you have the time and the help you can go through the major intersections and record the current time allocated to red and green lights. Although this may have already been changed, if not, then your recordings will be an eye opener. Remember, its far easier to conceal in plain view.
edit on 3-1-2011 by tristar because: (no reason given)

Like the cab meter from hell that runs 2-3 times faster when the driver notices you don't speak the native tongue and takes you round and round in circles...I mean literaly...does TAKEN FOR A RIDE come any more literal?

Sometimes you have to make graphical posts to get your point across to the daft/innocent country folks. What about that remote control gas pump that shaves an extra $5-$10 everytime you fill your car up..and most of those guys advertise rock bottom rates to make you go there in the first place.

Or the remote controled roulette machine that NEVER stops wherever the big bets are placed. Or the slot machines that give you 7777777 once in a billion tries yet only gives you a few million dollars as pay out?

Mind control my ass. Its one million times more sophisticated because we get bombarded day&night by mainstream media and say "oh another robbery, another murder" without thinking twice about anything!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

Mind control my ass. Its one million times more sophisticated because we get bombarded day&night by mainstream media and say "oh another robbery, another murder" without thinking twice about anything!

Oh how I wish that the people of the West would wake from their slumber.
The propaganda matrix that surrounds us is like a fish in water.

Great comment.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Josephus23

This has been happening since WWI.

Edward Bernays and Ivy Lee were employed by the US Government to "sell" WWI to the people.

These two men are responsible for the creation of the public relations industry.
And that is exactly what propaganda is.
An appeal to irrational emotions that causes people to engage in behaviors that are not based upon rational thought, but solely emotional appeals.

edit on 1/3/2011 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

In other words. "Groupthink".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join