It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apollo 11 Ascent From Tranquility Base - rotation-corrected for proper "horizon up" viewing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Another great video presentation from LunaCognita

This presentation shows the 16mm Data Acquisition Camera (DAC) footage that was shot during the Apollo 11 ascent from Tranquility Base. In this ascent footage, the DAC motion picture camera was mounted in the right side forward-facing (LMP) window of the Apollo 11 Lunar Module "Eagle", providing us a view looking down at the Moon's surface as the LM ascent stage fires and sends the spacecraft on its way back up to lunar orbit for rendezvous and docking with the CSM "Columbia".

The point to this simple presentation is to merely serve as a reminder to everyone who is interested in doing their own analysis of ANY of the Apollo DAC footage or still frames of the lunar surface to always consider the question of "what is the proper viewing perspective for each scene?" The ugly fact is that the vast majority of the Apollo DAC footage and still frames, as they are archived by NASA, are not presenting their lunar surface scenes to you in anything close to the proper "horizon up" viewing orientation that our eyes expect to see. Obviously, unless this improper viewing perspective is corrected for first, you have very little chance of being able to analyze the scenes you are looking at with any degree of accuracy at all.

A fascinating piece of footage I had actually never seen before.

But is NASA purposefully distorting the viewing orientation of their footage, and if so, why? Also, the video contains a couple of cool looking UFO's that were captured by the Apollo 11 ascent.

Enjoy!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
The footage indicates presence of Annanaki disc craft. Possible Nibiru connection?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Well, there's no way those were just pieces of debris because they actually made turns and reflected light. Those objects could have been extraterrestrial spacecraft observing the Apollo craft, which happens quite often when they visit the moon and orbit Earth.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
The Nazi's at NASA could have done a better job at stabilizing the craft on the wires in the hanger.
2nd line

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NahumTheCelestial

And what makes you say that?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

What do you mean?

But is NASA purposefully distorting the viewing orientation of their footage, and if so, why?

What was distorted? The DAC was mounted a certain way, because that's how it was designed.

Also, the video contains a couple of cool looking UFO's that were captured by the Apollo 11 ascent.

Those are interesting, but is there a very simple explanation?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Originally posted by weedwhacker

What was distorted? The DAC was mounted a certain way, because that's how it was designed.

The ugly fact is that the vast majority of the Apollo DAC footage and still frames, as they are archived by NASA, are not presenting their lunar surface scenes to you in anything close to the proper "horizon up" viewing orientation that our eyes expect to see.

Well, maybe I misunderstood, but I got the impression from the above statement that NASA was either knowingly presenting the footage incorrectly, not pointing out the "proper" way it should be viewed (for maximum effect) or it was distorting the footage orientation for some reason.

Originally posted by weedwhacker

Those are interesting, but is there a very simple explanation?

I don't know, is there?

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

AS TO the DAC on Apollo 11 (and the others, when mounted in the LMP window) it was a factor of the way the mount was designed, and the orientation that resulted...it's like if you strap a camera to anything, and it is in a fixed position....its field of view remains the same, and is oriented as mounted.

Here is a link to a line drawing of the LM interior, looking forward. LMP station is to the right, and the DCA is labeled "Sequence Camera" in the diagram:

www.sln.org...

You can see the angle of the mounting bracket. I suppose that was the best compromise position....they didn't want it interfering with the view, nor something that the LMP might bump his head on a lot!

Sorry, but I have some heartburn, at times, with "LunaCognita" (I believe it's the same individual who is also an ATS member, under same screenname)?

Because, I see some "innuendo dropping"...and it's in that video, too.

@0:40 -- the comment about "Buzz" Aldrin being slow to activate the DAC, per the flight plan and checklist. It implies some "motive" that is unstated, just left dangling. Thus, innuendo....

@1:15 -- his comment that this "deprives us of the film of the actual lift-off". Well? So what? Subsequent missions contain that footage.

I will check the LSJ info....and see if there's a recollection from "Buzz" about that. I can say there was likely a great deal of stress that they were under (obviously, given the circumstances) but also? Do you know about the APS engine arming circuit breaker? The one that was damaged during EVA prep, and only noticed once they began prep for the lift-off?

That was on his (their) mind too....

Also, another "LunaCognita" comment, @ 3:45, about the frame rate "inexplicably" changing form 12 frames per, to 6 fps...I will see if there's a "Buzz" comment on that. HE may have done it, in order to make the film last longer...you can see where it ran out, at the end.....I will also check to see, but I am not sure if they had more than one film spool for that camera....IOW, they used just that one, didn't change spools with new film, for more footage time....not sure on that yet.....

edit on 2 January 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Yeah, I understand better now. I thought LC was stating that the footage had been edited afterwards but he merely meant that the perspective that is given in the original footage isn't the most accurate for interpreting the Moons surface. Which is understandable considering it is a fixed camera. He explains it here:

As you can see in this footage, the rotation correction to align the scene to the "horizon up" viewing perspective is an absolutely vital adjustment that must be applied first in order to be able to even begin attempting to analyze and interpret scenes such as this one accurately. Because the DAC camera was hard-mounted in the window of the LM during liftoff from the lunar surface, this meant that the standard locked display perspective that NASA provides in their archive clips showing the Apollo ascent footage is ALWAYS displaying the lunar surface scene below in an inaccurate perspective. For over 40 years, the public has actually been watching ascent footage like this from the various Apollo missions where the lunar surface after liftoff is being shown essentially upside down (between 135 to 180 degrees off of the "horizon up" viewing perspective).

I know what you mean about the innuendos, but it's the nature of the beast I suppose, when you hold certain beliefs your viewpoint from then on is changed to fit those beliefs. At least LC allows for a bit of room to manoeuvre, unlike some others who just ram this stuff down your throat.

Yeah, I remember seeing a documentary about the moon landing in which Buzz recalls breaking the circuit breaker that would arm the main engine for lift off. He stated that he used a felt tip pen to fix the problem, it's unbelievable to think that after all the money and technology that sent man to the moon it was a felt tip pen that brought them home.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Very interesting footage OT.

I found a few points on the video I would like to further discuss. The first is at 7:22, there is signs of a wire or something in the lower left are of the frame. The second is at the 9:48 mark, what is the orange...probably part of the production proof, am just curious.

Rhain

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   

You remember correctly about the circuit breaker incident.

He stated that he used a felt tip pen to fix the problem, it's unbelievable to think that after all the money and technology that sent man to the moon it was a felt tip pen that brought them home.

Well, the pen was the correct diameter...really, anything about 1/4 inch (about 6 mm) or less diameter would have sufficed. These C/Bs are just about the same...I'd say exactly the same...as commonly used on just about every commercial airplane built then, and even still today. (The design, I mean. Not sure if the TSO standards are different for spacecraft....sparks, in a 100% O2 atmosphere are a bad, bad thing...so switching design would have to make them unlikely).

The "opening" of circuits, by "pulling" out on the breakers is a common way to 'disable' a system, and is used by maintenance personnel every day, in normal airline operations. Pilots, too, when directed to during any procedure. For Apollo, the idea is that the button or switch that activates the APS engine won't accidentally get pushed or nudged....that could have ruined their whole day.....

Here, this is a picture of what we're talking about:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d2c3bf64a26e.jpg[/atsimg]

That one has a Boeing Part Number on it (the "BAC" for Boeing Aircraft Co., and all the rest..).

They mount in the panel, with the black plastic knob sticking out...see the nut? That secures it to the panel, in its hole. That one is "closed", or "pushed in" all the way, to complete the circuit. When pulled the plastic shaft (hidden right now) is white, and therefore obvious. We look for those that are "popped" that way, or by feel...running your hand over a row, they stick out when opened. There are also little plastic collars designed to be snapped on, to keep them open, and prevent accidental or intentional re-setting. Mechanics do this to de-activate something that is not required, inoperative, or when working on a system that is dangerous if activated while they're mucking about with it.

So, while it was "out", the end was snapped off....and, just having something narrow enough to insert into the hole did the trick to re-set it. Concern was whether the act of breaking it off on the outside did any internal damage or not...if so, then that was their tomb.....

Here's a link showing some details of various C/B panels and locations in the LM:

history.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Rhain

The first is at 7:22, there is signs of a wire or something in the lower left are of the frame.

That's just a scratch on the film emulsion.

The second is at the 9:48 mark, what is the orange...

I guess nowadays, with everything either video tape, or digital now....many people have never seen actual FILM, either in 16MM or 8MM format. You know, like "home movies"?

The ends of the film usually get over-exposed, when they're taken out of the camera. The rest of the undeveloped film is safely in perfect darkness, inside its cassette, or container. The tail end gets ruined by some light leakage. My Dad's (and many others') old 8MM camera would usually get leakage of light, too....through cracks in the compartment lid, where you loaded the film.

Check out some old "home movies" you see the same effect....

posted on Jan, 7 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
THIS IS FOR RUSSO, and the thread started that was initially labelled "Apollo 17 DAC"...a typo, as it was on this same Apollo 11 video. (topic here). However, got me thinking, because of some aspects to the A11 film, the "late start", the frame rate change, etc...so, did some searching, and VOILA!

LunaCognita did do the same 'treatment' to the Apollo 17 DAC footage, as he did to the Apollo 11 footage:

Posting this up now, still have to see it all way through..... (bit slow connection, today).
edit on 7 January 2011 by weedwhacker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

NASA obfuscates as much as they can. What a ruse!

new topics

top topics

join