It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dying Inside: Elderly in prison

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Actually there are people who WANT to go to jail, especially for the benefits.. I suspect this may become a trend .

Man Robs bank in order to get arrested

Elderly Man Robs Bank to Get Bank Into Jail

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
great thread! been reading ats for some time, but this thread really compelled me to post.

As a youngster i did some regrettable things[non violent] that landed me in jail in a few different states so i have a little insight. also i have brother who has been in and out his entire life from juvenile hall to federal prison. the money that the private investors is ridiculous! take a look @ EVERY flameproof mattress in California, made by Bob Barker enterprise! one mattress for every inmate, the price is totally right! and if you have pre existing medical issues, you can get two!

As far as the corrections union, the most powerful union in the country, and possibility the most corrupt they aren't the ones wiping the butts, the nurses are! they are no different then us, they have family, mortgage payments,kids, they are gonna milk the overtime as much as they can, and who can blame them! anyone who has tryed to go to the dmv in California on a friday knows that they are closed due to budget cuts. guess witch state employees didn't get cut? thanks to the green wall! thats what the California corrections union calls themselves! they even have there own gang!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

nice post

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
The other day 2 black women got life sentences for stealing $11.

Then a white woman kill his husband and caused the suicide of another man got 25 years in prison.

This is where out problem is coming from.

People get 25 years for murder all the time, thats what a life sentence is considered for some reason.
It depends on the jurisdiction and the case in question.There are 50 states, various territories and the federal government each with their own laws. Many states allow you to parole after 25 years served.
You also have to factor in, who was this womans lawyer? Any well paid lawyer will be able to help you a lot in a situation like this,

Secondly the 2 women had their cases suspended by Governor Haley Barbour.
But were initially found guilty of "armed robbery" which included smashing the victims heads with shotguns, then commencing the robbery. They also had a public defendant representing them.
They were each found guilty on two counts of armed robbery, one for each victim, and sentenced to life imprisonment to be served consecutively.
The judge didn't impose the sentence, the jury did. They were given several choices, including to find guilt and leave the sentence to the judge, or to find guilt and impose life sentence. They chose guilt and life sentences.
The jury makeup was 7 white, 5 black,
weather is was $11.00 or $1,000 that doesn't excuse the brutality of the crime.
The victim stated in his testimony, it was $200.00
There were also 5 or 6 people involved in this incident, which conspired and committed the crime, so they all split the money up, and one of the men received $11.00 dollars out of the cut.
So there was a little more to it then just stealing $11.00.

That being said, I do agree however they should not have deserved a life sentence for that. This case should be handled with street justice and the victim should be able to have them pay back for his pain and suffering, or maybe hit them over the head if he wants. btw, I think California 3 strike law is ridiculous, I believe several other states have similar laws. Most adopted it in the mid 90's.
www.threestrikes.org...

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan
reply to post by Vicky32

Whats the difference between an elderly person and a young person with a chronic illness/injury? If a gent gets his back broken while in prison and is confined to a wheel chair, should he get out? What about a prisoner with cancer?

In a criminal justice system where the sentences given out for major crimes are quite short, someone who is elderly in prison either committed terrible acts (multiple acts), committed crimes later in life or committed crimes while in prison.

Keeping these folks in prison is humane. Where are they going to go? Home? I don't think so. They have no where to go so they should stay where they are. They are there for a reason.

"If a gent gets his back broken while in prison and is confined to a wheel chair, should he get out?"
Absolutely yes! If someone breaks their back, then they have worse problems that just being in a wheelchair, and there's no way they could get the care they need (feeding, toileting etc) in a prison. The reality is they'd need 6 months to a year in a spinal unit, then another 6 months in a rehab facility.
" What about a prisoner with cancer?"
It depends. If their cancer is terminal, absolutely yes - although once again the reality is, they'd probably go straight from prison to hospital. My son worked for a year at the haematology ward in Auckland Hospital, caring for patients with various types of leukaemia. Many treatments result in immune-compromised people, and therefore prison would not be humane but a death sentence. Your other statement, about a system with short sentences - is this system purely theoretical? I ask because all we hear about the USA, is that convicted criminals there get bizarre sentences such as 'life plus 99 years' or 'three life sentences'. NZ as we become more Americanised, is following suit.
Vicky

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Well I have a bit of an opinion here.

If they are proven by DNA murderers and they are so old
costing tax dollars pull the plug on them... Let them die.

Everyone else that is not a proven by DNA murderer
has a life without parole sentence,
and are sick and dying let them die in prison...

Do what medical means you can for them.

This letting them out is nonsense...

Neither give them the medical care in prison and let them die that way.
Or if it is that big of a money problem for you people
give them a quick injection of a death cocktail make them die.

You pick..

I would reject medical care and let the good Lord have me..

If your that sick and already about to die what is a week, a month, 6 months or a year?

Your going to die someday EVERYONE WILL even me...

Not that big of a deal....

You are forgetting if you let these people out that are dying
their going to die anyways because they have NO INSURANCE!!!!
They will not be able to get medical care anyways no means to pay for it.....
edit on 2-1-2011 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Magnum007
Solutions? I have 1...

30-06 round to the back of the head.

I'd start with psychopaths, sociopaths, paedophiles and rapists...

Magnum

Then will you add yourself? Suggesting "30-06 round to the back of the head." as a solution shows you to be in my opinion a psychopath!
(Oh, I fixed your spelling for you as well...
)
Vicky

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by boondock-saint

Those who commit murder and serial rapist should be executed, many countries do that. This is a waste of money to tax payers. Let them serve time then have the death penalty, thats the best solution.
edit on 2-1-2011 by Yurimaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked
Outsourced secure nursing homes don't come free, assuming they already exist and have available capacity, they will hand out an invoice every month, where does this become a better deal and for whom?

Why not put it to the test? Get some suitably qualified people involved with drafting a business plan, setting out what levels of service you could offer at what cost, and start bidding for government contracts.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

You simply did not read what I had written, or did not comprehend it. Scoot your chair a little closer and try again.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by boondock-saint

how do we deal with this dilemma?

Help them to develope a bussiness of their own to make money from to pay their own way. Their bussiness could be to allow them to coach and groom upcomming inmates of younger generations to force the youth who are receptive to wake up and see what they may be in the future if they dont change. This allows public service to their communities and gets them paid to assist on their bill payments.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Help them to develope a bussiness of their own to make money from to pay their own way.

Learning a trade is a great way to be able to support yourself and if you have been sentenced for 5 years you have the time. It does take a lot of experience and resources, something that is lacking in the prison system. Education and study have been implemented more effectively as it just needs course materials, books and review which are a lot cheaper and can pass through the security systems more easily.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The karma from this is unbelievable and most are just slaves. Where were we? Why didn't we insist on changes and decriminalizing much of this?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join