It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese would handle snow better: US governor

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:03 AM
link   
"We've become a nation of wussies. The Chinese are kicking our butts in everything," Ed Rendell, the governor of the eastern state, told a Philadelphia radio station on Monday.

Rendell was upset about the National Football League's decision to postpone the Philadelphia Eagles' home game against the Minnesota Vikings scheduled Sunday due to forecasts of heavy snow in the sixth largest US city.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

Pretty bold statement, conseidering their safety standards are so low in and around job sites; they'd send out plow that are uninspected. Dangerous.

Regardless, you don't have to look far East.... You can look North. In Canada we had the CFL Grey Cup, 2 weeks ago, in -32 CELCIUS. lol. FREEEEEEZING!!

Great rant:

edit on 29-12-2010 by CanadianDream420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Hahaha! Does that guy even breathe throughout his rant?

I've seen NFL games played practically in blizzard conditions!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

They would force civilians to help with the clean up so of-course they would do a better job, They have no problem evicting their own people from areas designated for Olympic Stadiums with 0 notice...so I don't think it's too much of a problem for them.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Ed Rendell is the governor of the State that I hail from, and this is one of the few things that he has said that I agree with.

The same day that I heard this news on the radio, I hear that Pat Robertson (the TV preacher) says that mandatory minimum marijuana sentences are bad and kids shouldn't be punished with prison for smoking pot. He also said that it clogs the prison system and makes criminals out of otherwise good kids.

That's the first time that I agreed with him, too.

Wow, what a day yesterday was. Next thing you know, cats and dogs will be getting along with each other.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Of course they would kick our butts. They'd put up with it or be put in prison or heavily fined. Do we really want to be taking our behavioral examples from China?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:52 AM
link   
wow, that makes the UK real pussy's when it comes to handling bad weather.

we have no idea and no cash to invest here in the UK to handle bad weather.

The excuse that we do not have bad weather often enough to invest is starting to wear a bit thin now.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I forgot to mention, the Governor was at last nights Eagles game. Someone from the stadium staff had dumped a bucketful of snow on the seat next to his before he arrived. They stuck a sign in it that read, "Seating for non-wusses".

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Here 's the conspiracy,
The only reason the game was postpone, was to give Brett Farve more of a chance and time to heal from his injuries to keep his consecutive starting streak alive, and it still did not work out for the NFL.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Yeah they're kicking the wests butt at everything apart from, standards of living, human rights, literacy rates, democracy etc etc
but yes they do have the whole underpaid massively exploited work force living in abject poverty under a totalitarian regime thing spot on.
That seems to be the direction a lot of people want the West to go in.
We could I guess have forced the poor to clear the snow at gun point and then mopped up the residue with dead cats

edit on 29-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Well around our neck of the woods we don't wait for the city to save us, we have many people with their own trucks with snow plows and we neighbors help dig each other out,
edit on 113131p://bWednesday2010 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:30 AM
link   
That guy was realy pissed off and who could blame him,they will only play the game when the stadium is full of money spending fans of course,American football players on 40 million bucks sheesh, what a #ty world we live in

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Geez, I guess I am alone in my sentitments that the governor is acting like a big jerk because he is denied his entertainment at the expense of putting the citizens of his state at risk. Sure, lets have citizens stuck on highways, streets and god knows where, putting a strain on the rescue organizations already maxed out because of the weather, all because of a football game. I LOVE football, but the commish did the right thing by rescheduling the game for everyone's safety, IMO. It was a choice between doing the right thing and doing the popular thing....glad reason won this one.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Call me a wuss then!

Here is what it is like where I am right now, in the Northwest U.S. taken moments ago...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/003d20d56a0c.jpg[/atsimg]

It rained last night, so we have an inch of ice now under about 8 inches of packed snow, and it keeps snowing harder and harder, the wind is getting stronger as well, temp is dropping fast. That is the interstate highway in the pic... Nothing is moving now, and if it is it wont get far!

Snow day!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MzMorbid
Hahaha! Does that guy even breathe throughout his rant?

I've seen NFL games played practically in blizzard conditions!

I remember watching some of those games as a kid, funny how they seem to have dwindled off over the years.

May or may not be due to global warming but he is right, it does look like we are becoming a nation of Wussies.
Although It's possible the game was cancelled by the NFL simply because of poor visibility due to snow and they were afraid of losing viewers as a result.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Personally I would not of wanted to not be able to see the game due to snow, but I don't know if 3 days made that big of a deal/difference...Vikings kicked the eagles ass anyway.

72 degrees here got the ac on.

edit on 29-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Call me a wuss then!

Wuss!

You did ask for it. Just kidding, it does look a bit breezy there in your photo.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Ha!

You should see it now!

Actually you can't, all you can see is white, blowing sideways. Maybe a foot or so now and piling up fast.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Everyone in this thread that uses some cop-out like "derp China has bad things too" is missing the point and proving the Governor right. Don't make excuses, just do it.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Its because during times of need - the chinese people work together and help each other out unlike westerners .. China gets cold and heavy snow in winter and the people work together to keep roads clear and to rescue people who get stuck out in it. Unlike what some here think its not forced. In asia people arent self absorbed as westerners are..

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Okay, it's not funny now.

This storm has turned into something crazy up here... It is like a bad snow scene from the movie day after tomorrow.

A low pressure center is right over where I am now, and we are on the back side of that, strong winds and endless snow. Glad I took the advice to stay put here where I am, it can only get worse going east, and I need to head in that direction. Getting stuck out on a highway in the middle of nowhere in this would really suck.

On the other hand, conversations with other stranded travelers and locals has been enlightening and humorous.

The Chinese may beat us in many ways, but no one on the planet does snow better than North Americans! especially some people I have met from just across the border in Canada, which even a few have said this is about as bad as it gets in these parts, several of those brave souls threw some chains on their vehicles and took off... were out of sight within only yards at most. Hell I'm not sure I could find the road to follow them now.

Brave or crazy?

The best part about this blizzard will be the end, and I hope that happens soon!

I've got better things to do.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join