It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumbling all day TODAY (12/28/2010) in Western Washington

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by jennybee35

Thank you!! Here is the updated map:

BTW...your description is great. Sounds quite similar!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by whoshotJR

LOL...that was okay. I've already decided NOT to celebrate my 40th brithday!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Good to hear you are finding the thread worthwhile. I always enjoy your posts!

As to my location, my backyard faces pretty much due East, so the sound is coming SW from me, seeming like out over the water. Coincidentally, about where the deep tremors were recorded.

I will curious to see if your friends animals are acting different. I believe strongly in that.

It seems the migration patterns of the birds have been off this year. I've mentioned that a few times over the past six months on other EQ threads.

Mount Baker is NE of my location by about 50 miles. Both Rainier and Helens are south to southeast by about 100 to 150 miles. I am literally surrounded here. We can't forget the sisters, hood, adams, etc.....

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Lets hope it isn't Adams rumbling, I think I might go snowshoeing there this weekend and tomorrow I will be snowboarding (work permitting) on hood

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Thanks for your comments. Just to clarify something: I guess it might seem strange to some that this concerns me so much when I'm half-way round the world from the US, but I've been following quake/seismic activity for years and like many, am trying to put the puzzle together. My gut feeling is that this sound may derive from a seismic origin, but that doesn't mean that it has to be directly generated from below ground as an actual sound.

I'd rather not try and explain that right now as it could take pages and also I haven't crystallized the concept into a simple enough form yet to be fully explicable.
Okay, that might sound like a cop-out but as you'd appreciate, sometimes we have a concept but it's not yet in a form we can readily iterate. But I'll put it this way: the key point is energy transfer. All seismic events are matters of energy, after all. Masses of it.

As I said in a post on another quake thread a year or two back, I see seismic activity as being something like the weather: I feel that there are cause and effect relationships, but they are probably far more complex than "event A causes event B" -- just as is the case with weather, where the "butterfly in Beijing" effect is a factor that helps to mess up any attempts at fairly straightforward analysis of what's going on and predicting what's coming next. In other words, I don't think it's always that case that a large event will set off another: it could also happen that a seemingly trivial event could have major repercussions elsewhere.

The "system" (of seismicity) is all interconnected but also always in flux, seeking a natural energy balance that is virtually unattainable due to fluctuations both in the energy being inputted from all sources, and also the losses (energy transformations) that are constantly going on.

But I digress...
Sorry about that.

Okay... I've just emailed my ATS friend and asked her if she'd like to drop in on the thread here. Middle of the night there so it could be some hours before she reads the email and perhaps gets on line here.

Best regards,

Mike
edit on 30/12/10 by JustMike because: Oh typos, oh mores!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 02:59 AM
link   

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your theory and I understand the need to wait for it to completely 'show' itself.

I am getting the feeling though, based on what you just wrote (and have written in the past) that we may be thinking along the same lines. Especially since these deep tremors I have been feeling more and more that we are only seeing/recording a small portion of what is involved. I think this rumbling may be another componenet... I think it may be very enlightening to figure out the cause. It might lead to more knoweldge and understanding of this amazing planet!

Good night all-

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Many years ago I was lying on a roof, out in the country, having a very mellow (sober) and reflective time with half a dozen acquaintances, at 10pm or so. We were remarking on the distant rumbling sound. One of the guys said that his father had always told him that it was the sound of "Tomorrow Coming". For some reason that just resonated with each of us as something really cool, slightly ethereal (in a Langoliers kind of way), and strangely profound. That's always stuck with me.

I live at the other end of the world from you guys - so I can't blame the American military etc. In the end I reconciled that it was most likely distant traffic noise - even though I'd thought we were fairly remote. We have a huge amount of seismic and geothermal activity here, so I'm very familiar with the sound of coming quakes - which is different again. I probably don't spend enough time in remote places listening anymore.

Interesting topic.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Is`nt Mount Adams where gilliland stays and all the orb activity,that could be of interest too as orbs have been seen at /or during siesmic events,I`m not stating all the objects James has videod are plasma balls of electromagnetic energy but is`nt it the same place.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Yeah it is ,probably one of ole smokies going to blow their top,hope its not as bad as mount St Helens.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:34 AM
link   
How 'bout a magma chamber gurgling away.
northofthehotzone.com...

Yellowstone has been fairly quiet lately, but if the chamber joins under Mt Rainier & Adams as suggested in the above pic (and link: Vast pools of magma beneath Washington State )
then perhaps the pressure has transferred to the west for some reason.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Conceptually I get the jist of what your trying to say ,I still believe that gravity waves from outside are altering or imagine the earth as being like a shockabsorber on your car,the techtonic plates moving and swivelling when outside force exudes itself on it,well thats it really.Pressure is being exuded onto our fragile abode and is going through a change and with change obviously comes cause and affect,we will see soon enough.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Funny, I have theorized that the chamber under Washington might be part of the magma plume for Yellowstone that was cut off from it millions of years ago as it migrated east. I have also theorized that there is pressure exchanges bewtween the two...one is quiet the other one goes. etc...

This just in:

Magnitude 3.3
Date-Time Thursday, December 30, 2010 at 09:17:46 UTC
Thursday, December 30, 2010 at 01:17:46 AM at epicenter

Location 45.124°N, 120.937°W
Depth 20.8 km (12.9 miles) set by location program
Region OREGON
Distances 13 km (8 miles) ESE (116°) from Maupin, OR
20 km (12 miles) NW (313°) from Shaniko, OR
23 km (14 miles) SE (127°) from Tygh Valley, OR
140 km (87 miles) ESE (108°) from Portland, OR

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 1.1 km (0.7 miles); depth fixed by location program
Parameters NST= 29, Nph= 29, Dmin=16 km, Rmss=0.25 sec, Gp=101°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=0
Source Pacific Northwest Seismograph Network

Event ID uw12300917

USGS link'

Now I am REALLY off to sleep....

edit on 30-12-2010 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

If this is true then somethings going to give.Surely it should be becoming a news worthy event,anyone sen or heard anything on the news.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by gringoboy

USGS is saying all is normal with Rainier & St Helens at the moment. But I wonder at what point it becomes "abnormal"...what the indicators are.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

I can answer that one, if that's cool with you.

Okay, the sorts of indicators that seismologists, geologists and volcanologists look for in regard to "non-normal" activity (ie not "abnormal", which means something quite different) are:

-- an increase in the number of tremors in and around the volcano. Even if they're only seismic tremors, something is causing them and that something might be the volcano building up to blow.

-- an increase in the release of certain gases that are associated with impending eruption. This is well known by volcanologists and is something they are always aware of and some of these gases are extremely toxic. Their volumes of release can suddenly change from a few cubic metres per hour to several magnitudes beyond that prio to an eruption and their toxicity can be fatal (never mind the fact that some are extremely hot), so the experts would then watch closely for other signs.

-- any significant rise in observed surface temperatures within the caldera or close to it: this can be measured directly (and often is with "worrying" volcanoes), but can also be deduced by rises in flow of streams -- in winter, in colder climes -- that indicate increased melt on the volcano's slopes. Obviously this doesn't apply to volcanoes in places like Indonesia as a rule since it's to warm, but on the hand they can still measure temperature changes in the streams. A quick uptick of a couple of degrees is cause for concern. The river that connects with Lake Yellowstone is also temp-monitored year round for the same reason. Water getting heated beyond what the environment would allow, automaticaly implies a volcanic type of heat source and so it's worth keeping an eye on.

-- a change in the character of the tremors from "regular" (ie sesimic type) tremors to "volcanic" tremors, which have a very distinctive pattern and only occur in actively volcanic areas: this always gets the attention of the watching experts, and if some of the other factors also indicate that the volcano is building up to something, it will often trigger a raise in status to "eruption imminent" and authorities will be informed to begin evacuating people. This was the case with Merapi in Indonesia some weeks back. But even if most other factors are absent, the "volcanic tremors" are so strongly indicative of trouble that they may raise the status to "eruption imminent" anyway.

It's like a doctor diagnosing a patient. There may be several symptoms, but while some are not too worrying, for a major illness there is always at least one that is so definitive, the doctor can very confidently say what's wrong. These scientists do the same.

So, when they start issuing their guarded statements of "concern", we need to read between the lines because these people don't get all concerned over most of what goes on, even when it looks rather alarming to most of us. When they start muttering publicly about "increased activity" and "watching the situation closely", that when we need to sit up and take notice.

It's a dilemma for the experts, actually, because if they announce an "eruption imminent" for a US volcano, then some people will get panicky and there could be accidents on the roads as people flee the area and so forth. At the very least, people will skip work to grab the kids and dog and start packing valuables before bugging out.

The trouble is, the experts could get it wrong and the volcano just bubbles away for a few days then quietens down again. It happens. Just like sometimes a doctor can misdiagnose a patient. However if people get injured or killed while fleeing on the basis of the warning, then you know someone is going to wind up getting sued. That's what happens in the US and many other countries.

So, they experts have to be very careful and very, very sure. This also means that they have to wait longer before issuing official warnings.

Smart folks will read between the lines of the "guarded" statements and be packed and ready to go well before the official warnings come out.

Anyway. Hope that answers your question.

Mike

edit on 30/12/10 by JustMike because: typos

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:39 AM
link   

I live in north ga, and feel like I am the only one feeling and hearing what I am, constant rumbling and feeling vibrations, It started 12/23/10 and has only briefy stopped, then started again, my husband said he felt rumbling, but dimmissed it as maybe a long train

edit t add: [mike] I also have a severe headache, very loud ringing in my ears, headache is back and top of my head
edit on 30-12-2010 by space cadet because: to add info

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 04:54 AM
link   
OP i might have missed this but have you reported the rumbling? it could be something they are aware of, you can hear it in the second video towards the end.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Thanks for the informative answer. Would you be able to give me a visual comparison between a seismic and volcanic tremor?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Nice sound files, PuterMan. You certainly know more about sound editing/interpretation than me.

As to the query of where the Olympics - Snow Dome webicorder is, it took some digging, but this is where it is:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/98e8312cabf3.jpg[/atsimg]

Judging from it's position on closer inspection, it is probably very likely to be wind on this recorder. Either that or glacial movement, IMO. I'm not sure on this, but that would be what I expect.

The exact coordinates were: 47.81624 -123.70511.

Found them on this very exhaustive list:
ftp.ess.washington.edu...

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Sure. No trouble at all. Here you go:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b11def84ffbe.gif[/atsimg]

Source: this USGS page.

[Image by USGS. This image only for educational purposes. Not to be copied for commercial use without permission of USGS.]

Just for info, "tectonic-like" quakes are your fairly typical ordinary everyday quake.
Shallow volcanic quakes are related to the volcano's activity and are not likely caused by normal tectonic activity. Surface events include things like rock falls inside the caldera or suface vibration from dome building, rockslides, snow shifting and so on. Harmonic tremor is just another name for volcanic tremor and it's these traces especially that can get scientists quite worried on occasion.

Regards,

Mike

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join