It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists want to see it Christians need to see it

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I've seen this happen on ATS, more than once. An Atheist preaching the gospel to the choir.

Puts most Christians to shame.
Leave it to an Atheist to nail it right on the head fundamentally academically. To have all the ducks in a row and
still miss the boat. That's all I have to say. Shakes head.
I hope this hasn't been ran here before I did use the search. Mods do what thou wilt.
edit on 28-12-2010 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:10 AM
link   
you should help us mobile ATS'rs out and state what the video is about? thanks

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by strafgod

Ok you got it man.
This vid is an interview, with an atheist making most of who call them selves Christians look pretty damn bad.
By basically telling them how to be Christians.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:31 AM
link   
ahhh thanks again bro. i think iv seen a study that showed atheists knew more about religion than the religious. so ironic.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Well I hate to generalize but in my opinion, most Christians don't practice Christianity as a way of life rather they use it as a label.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:26 AM
link   
The video, a young man with wordless meaning.
You can be a Christian your whole life and still go to *ell.
Once you invite the Holy Spirit into your life. Your a changed
person forever, you'll never be the same person you once were.
Wisdom and knowledge comes from within.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

OMG! Christians are not perfect.
Imagine that.
Lucky they can forgive themselves hey!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
I'm sorry, I don't buy it at all.

It's like someone saying "I love to eat cheeseburgers, but I am a vegetarian." -- nonsense! And that is what this video is like. I don't believe he is an atheist at all. Someone is trying to use reverse psychology here.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I'm an atheist (agnostic atheist, I don't deny, just lack belief, leaving the door open) and I've studied world theology and philosophy, so I have a pretty fair grasp of religion (especially Christianity). I've visited many Christian churches of various denominations with friends throughout my life. I respect their beliefs, I just lack the belief.

Those friends, to me, were being true Christians. They never talked down or belittled me, they only tried to explain their beliefs and show me their services and try to inspire me to believe. I even attended some Bible readings and youth group type readings, etc. They didn't condemn me to hell, they knew I was an atheist and went along with their service just the same, and let it be left at that. That's why our friendship worked. There was a balance. I tried to become educated and tolerant of their beliefs, and they did the same without ever being rude to me, and it worked. Even though none of them ended up "saving" me, learning about other beliefs is something that will always stay with me. It helped teach me tolerance.

However, I also encountered some Christians in my lifetime, mostly Catholics, who told me straight up that I was going to Hell, after asking if I'd been baptized or not (I've not been). Those people weren't worth my time, unlike my other Christian friends.

If more Christians could be level or civil with atheists they might be surprised at what could happen. It frustrates and saddens me to see "Christians" on here posting negatively about atheists or perpetuating stereotypes about us, and calling us hateful names. We aren't satanist, we aren't evil people, most of us live our lives by strong sets of values and morals comparable to those taught in the Bible. We aren't all that different in terms of morality. It's not as if we are hopeless enemies. I just don't agree with that. We can get along, and I think Christians who truly follow their faith would be open and kind towards an atheist, and towards everybody.

An example of how Christians can be accepting, I had a good Christian friend in high school when The Passion of the Christ was out in theaters, and his church had reserved a showing of it. He invited me, so I went with them. Yep, about 50 churchgoers and 1 atheist sitting in the theater together to view a movie. It happens.

That's why Christians who spend their time spewing hate, whether it be at atheists or some other group, baffle me.
edit on 12/28/2010 by SpaceJ because: fix

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by 19rn50

Again we have someone stating that we must "invite," operative word here, invite the Holy Spirit to come into their life. Here is wisdom, for those who will listen to it. You, dear Christian friend, were BORN WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT! What do you thin it is that allows you to sit at that computer and post statements such as this, if it is not a Spirit? And I have to tell you, once the "Holy Spirit" entered my carbon based human receptacle I was changed. To a living human being!

So, are you ready to defend your statement, and inform us all where these "Holy Spirits" are kept until we "invite them" into our lives? Does Jesus have them all? Does he keep them in a box? What happens when we die, does Jesus get them all back? Curious minds want to know.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:44 AM
link   
He sounds like someone who was raised in Fundamental Christianity and no longer believes.

I think there are probably a lot of Atheists today who come from a Christian upbringing.

I know I was raised Christian - - and tried to be one to fit into society - - but I never really accepted it. It never really made any sense to me.

So - I don't find it unusual at all that an Atheist can speak about Christianity.

I think he is basically saying: "Practice what you preach".

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

Originally posted by 19rn50

Again we have someone stating that we must "invite," operative word here, invite the Holy Spirit to come into their life. Here is wisdom, for those who will listen to it. You, dear Christian friend, were BORN WITH THE HOLY SPIRIT!

Why so hostile? Is that what Jesus taught?

You do know there are something like 3000 different Christian sects. Maybe some do use the term "invite".

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:10 AM
link   
He does hit the nail on the head here.
Face it, people who call themselves christians and still wake up everyday striving to make more money, instead of preaching or spreading the Word are not practicing christians.

And what do 99% of Americans do everyday?
Work to make money.
Not work to make it into Heaven.

I have thought the same exact way for years.
It is an internal struggle I've had since I was a teenager.
How can we preach something and not practice it word for word?
Sick thing of all of this is simple.
If you are a true Christian, you would sell ALL your possessions and preach the Gospel.
Period.
No questions.

But, we are in love with money.
Not God.

Great thread and video.
Puts me right in my place.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by havok

But, we are in love with money.
Not God.

You totally got it the same way I did.

That is the most important aspect here. The message you got, is the one I believe including myself all Christians need to at least hear. I think its also important not to let something like this weigh so heavy on us. That it drives you nuts with guilt though either.

For it is written that we need to," guard your heart". Though I can't site the logistics of that passage right away.
I think it is a provision for us to be careful not to let anything (including the word of God) drive you out of your mind or make you crazy.
I think that is a fallacy of Gods word, only by our own guilt, that we need to be aware of as we contend with this world day by day.

I hope my meaning here is clear. If not I will try again.

Atlasastro
No we are not perfect as followers of Christ. Then again I would never deny him.

Anne

"Practice what you preach".

I agree . Good post

Wayno

It's like someone saying "I love to eat cheeseburgers, but I am a vegetarian." -- nonsense! And that is what this video is like. I don't believe he is an atheist at all. Someone is trying to use reverse psychology here

Even if that's true the message I'm trying to convey here is getting thru. You see?

SpaceJ

However, I also encountered some Christians in my lifetime, mostly Catholics, who told me straight up that I was going to Hell, after asking if I'd been baptized or not (I've not been). Those people weren't worth my time, unlike my other Christian friends.

I can top that. I've been told by the pastor of a lil pentecostal that I as a born again believer was basically going
to hell anyway. I said ,"Well Sir maybe thats where he wants me to praise his name. Cause I have always said
I would love Christ even from the depths of hell". I walked out of his office and never went back.
edit on 28-12-2010 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The young man misunderstands a few points about Christs teachings. I do not know why people get so wrapped up in this heaven and hell fiasco. It is so simple a child could understand it (I confirmed this by asking my own 11 year old daughter to explain it to me and she nailed it).

Heaven is right here right now. On this earth we have everything we need to survive and flourish. We do not see it as heaven because we have suffering. We are here to alleviate each others suffering so that all can see this heaven we live in. Those who do not see it as heaven focus on the suffering and not the bounty before them. Thus, they make it their own hell.

If we loved each other instead of judged each other, if we worked together to provide all with the blessings of this existence rather than seek only for our own personal gain, then all would see this world as the heaven it is. Then, no one would have to preach the lessons of Christ, they would flow naturally to them as a brook winds its way down the mountain side.

Heaven is right before your eyes, but you do not see it. - Jesus Christ

The belief in heaven as an afterlife is a teaching of control and compliance. How can anyone teach a doctrine, and how can others be so foolish as to believe them, when no one has seen the afterlife and returned to tell about it? How can one argue over God they can't see when the God that can be seen is right before the eyes of all men? God IS this existence, all of it as a whole.

The young man speaks as though he has learned of Christs teachings only from an evangelist and not from actually studying them himself. Otherwise, he would have pointed out that Jesus never said he was anyones ticket to heaven. He would know that Jesus gave but two commandments and never condemned a single soul.

Love God with all your being, and your neighbor as yourself. - Jesus Christ
A truth even an Atheist can accept. God is this entire existence as a whole. Love it.
Your neighbor is anyone outside your own body. Love them.

WIth over six billion people on this planet all with their own free will and opinions, mutual love and respect is the ONLY way we will ever live peacefully together.

Judge not, love all, be at peace.

With Love,

Your Brother

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 19rn50

I used to believe that, until I actually started speaking in tongues. I didn't change in the slightest.

I'm an atheist now. There is nothing supernatural about so called "baptism of the holy spirit" or any of the supposed results (glossolalia).

I can still speak in tongues

Of course you can always claim I was never a true Christian and never had the Holy Spirit. I would agree with the latter as one cannot possess something that is fictional.

The fact of the matter is that most Christians don't behave anything like Christ. For one thing they do much of their praying in public, something that Christ was most certainly against.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:09 PM
link   
edit on 12/28/2010 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

The fact of the matter is that most Christians don't behave anything like Christ. For one thing they do much of their praying in public, something that Christ was most certainly against.

Believe it or not Titen I'm so glad you just said that. That's one of the things I've been meaning to bring up to the front of my mind for along time now. Knowing full well you are right about not praying in public. Not that I ever do
anyway just something I think needs all the attention I can bring to it. I agree so much with your post. Thanks.
Good to see you again !

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

It's actually quite well known that a lot of outspoken atheists have a lot more grounding in the history and theology of religions they speak out against than the believers themselves. Which is why they're so outspoken.

Hell, I've read the Bible more times than all of my Christian friends (most of my friends are Christian..one is Hindu, quite a few Jews in the mix, I know a Ba'hai girl, quite a few atheists, a Buddhist or two, etc...but still mostly Christians, it's what happens when you grow up in the midwest and then move to a nation that's 98% Roman Catholic.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
Mods do what thou wilt

oh and we know, that is exactly what they do here...

but this is the belly of the beast so I paint myself an easy target now !

bring it on

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join