It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Screwed by Indiana Medicaid

page: 2
8
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by aero56
 


I have nothing to offer by way of help, other than to say that my thoughts and prayers are with you. This thread should be mandatory reading for all of those who post "nanny state" threads, as it might dispel them of some of their illusions about how the system really works.

So many good people just fall through the cracks. It's tragic and deplorable.

I truly do wish you all the best...

~Heff




posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity
 


No, not yet. Close though. Another two years! Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.



posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by aero56
 


I have nothing to offer by way of help, other than to say that my thoughts and prayers are with you. This thread should be mandatory reading for all of those who post "nanny state" threads, as it might dispel them of some of their illusions about how the system really works.

So many good people just fall through the cracks. It's tragic and deplorable.

I truly do wish you all the best...

~Heff


Bravo, and thank you for your post. I so appreciate all the support I have received on this forum.



posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Your story is why I don't like all the bureaucrats and the people running the government. It is truly sad to hear a story like yours. We the People pay thousands in taxes in our lives and then when we need help, it seems that Big Brother laughs at us. This is truly ridiculous.
I don't have any advice for you that hasn't already been said. Just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I really hope you find a way through this...

ETA: Please keep us posted on your outcome..
edit on 27-12-2010 by kennylee because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I live in Indiana and am disabled - I have been on SSI and unable to work for 8 years. I have a huge hospital bill and I go to a clinic and pay on a sliding scale, also have to buy my own medications. I applied for medicaid again 3 months ago and after many appeals they finally sent me my card last week. I am single and live with a disabled friend that cannot get medicaid and she is blind and has a crippling disease, she hasn't been able to get her Medicaid here. Someone thru the grapevine told me everyone is turned down the first time around - it is mandatory to appeal and yes this takes an attorney - some attorneys do not charge unless they win your case as was the case with me. Also they are looking at the fact that you are married and that you are not disabled and you work. Of course it shouldn't be this way - it should be given on an individual basis but that just isn't the way it works in Indiana. I use to live in Kentucky and had no problems there and I know of couples where one works and the other gets disability and medicaid in Ky. The first thing I would do is try to find an attorney that only charges if they win your case. Look in the yellow pages under Claims attorneys and make calls - I wish you all the luck in the world.



posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by aero56
 


My dad suffered a brain injury about 18 years ago at the age of 56. He was completely disabled by it and his insurance complany soon ruled that his care was "custodial" and they would no longer cover him. My mom had to go on Medicaid and your right...they really don't care how much you are living on. She has been living on a fraction of his income (pension, SSD) for years and paying the nursing home about 2K a month. There is something called "spousal refusal" which you may want to look into..I am in NY so I don't know if it is in Indiana and you would have to consult a lawyer.

Please don't take this the wrong way..but have you considered divorcing him? We mulled that over as an option but that would have left my mom without access to his pension and healthcare. Your situation may be different..everyone's is.

I so know how you feel right now....I've been feeling this way for almost twenty years.



posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Havent been stateside in ages.. However if memory serves me correct.. There should be someone at your local congressmans office to assist with such matters..



posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy
 


Wow, what a story! I was wondering what it's like in other states. I am beginning to see that Indiana is perhaps one of the worst in terms of helping those who really need it. Now, I have to say, IF I was single, didn't want to work and had a few kids with various dads, I might get more help. I see that in the neighborhood near where I live. I also have a neighbor who gets soc sec disability and he works around the neighborhood as if nothing is wrong with him. I am at a loss to explain how this state makes it's decisions.



posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Mandog
 



Yes, I actually did think about divorce. But you are right, I would not receive his benefits at the time of his death. I would also not receive any health benefit at all, or I could carry it to the tune of $400 a month!!!!! I can't afford that at all.

I received a call yesterday from the hospital where my husband has a balance. I told the lady the situation. She informed me that since we are married, I am still responsible for his bills. I said to her: "If the State of Indiana does not feel he should be responsible for me, then hell no, the hospital cannot expect me to be responsible for him!" I then told her to call Indiana Medicaid and ask them to pay his bill. Sorry, but I really went off on her. Not her fault, but I went off.



posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by kennylee
Your story is why I don't like all the bureaucrats and the people running the government. It is truly sad to hear a story like yours. We the People pay thousands in taxes in our lives and then when we need help, it seems that Big Brother laughs at us. This is truly ridiculous.
I don't have any advice for you that hasn't already been said. Just wanted you to know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. I really hope you find a way through this...

ETA: Please keep us posted on your outcome..
edit on 27-12-2010 by kennylee because: (no reason given)


Thank you so much for your response and kind thoughts. It helps me emotionally to know there are good people out there who truly do care.



posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Expat888
 


I have lettered my congressman, Joe Donnelly, and I am anxious to hear from his office. He has been helpful in the past regarding a particular issue, but this one may hit him closer to home, so it will be interesting to hear what he has to say, if anything.



posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by aero56
My husband was recently admitted to a nursing home because he suffers from vascular dementia, with symptoms very similar to Alzheimer's Disease. I took care of him for six years with no help from anyone, and no public assistance. I also work. I have been a tax paying citizen for 40 years. I love to work, and I love my job. I am a substitute school teacher in a middle, or intermediate center. While applying for medicaid assistance for him, I soon realized that I am chopped liver and medicaid could care less. The Spousal Impoverishment Protection Law was passed in 1988. This gave me some encouragement, as I feared I would be left with nothing. Well, I wasn't wrong entirely. Please keep in mind our living expenses. I pay bills and make rent and car payments based on our combined income. Now, I am going to be expected to make these same payments on 1/4 of the combined amount. I am told that medicaid does not see a vehicle as a necessity, and therefore they could care less about a car payment. Our health insurance premium is deducted from his pension check. Medicaid will only allow for his portion, I will have to pay my own portion. Medicaid does not care about any of my doctor, hospital or medication expenses. With what they state they will allow me, $200 a month, in addition to my income, will not anywhere near cover the rent, the car, nor the utility bills. I just received a call from the hospital where he has a balance. The lady told me that nevertheless, we are married and I am still responsible for his bills. Oh hell no!! Within the next two months, I will be living at the national poverty level. I can appeal the medicaid decision, but I would have to hire an attorney. I can't afford an attorney. I am a responsible individual. I am not asking for a "hand out". I am asking the state to do the right thing. I could take the option to quit my job and medicaid would allow more money. I don't know that figure. But, no, I am not going to quit my job. I don't sit on my butt. I love my job. I like being responsible. I feel I am being punished for being a law abiding tax paying citizen. I don't have a clue what I am going to do.

www.in.gov...


I am adding my blog site: lkb.typepad.com...



posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by aero56
My husband was recently admitted to a nursing home because he suffers from vascular dementia, with symptoms very similar to Alzheimer's Disease. I took care of him for six years with no help from anyone, and no public assistance. I also work. I have been a tax paying citizen for 40 years. I love to work, and I love my job. I am a substitute school teacher in a middle, or intermediate center. While applying for medicaid assistance for him, I soon realized that I am chopped liver and medicaid could care less. The Spousal Impoverishment Protection Law was passed in 1988. This gave me some encouragement, as I feared I would be left with nothing. Well, I wasn't wrong entirely. Please keep in mind our living expenses. I pay bills and make rent and car payments based on our combined income. Now, I am going to be expected to make these same payments on 1/4 of the combined amount. I am told that medicaid does not see a vehicle as a necessity, and therefore they could care less about a car payment. Our health insurance premium is deducted from his pension check. Medicaid will only allow for his portion, I will have to pay my own portion. Medicaid does not care about any of my doctor, hospital or medication expenses. With what they state they will allow me, $200 a month, in addition to my income, will not anywhere near cover the rent, the car, nor the utility bills. I just received a call from the hospital where he has a balance. The lady told me that nevertheless, we are married and I am still responsible for his bills. Oh hell no!! Within the next two months, I will be living at the national poverty level. I can appeal the medicaid decision, but I would have to hire an attorney. I can't afford an attorney. I am a responsible individual. I am not asking for a "hand out". I am asking the state to do the right thing. I could take the option to quit my job and medicaid would allow more money. I don't know that figure. But, no, I am not going to quit my job. I don't sit on my butt. I love my job. I like being responsible. I feel I am being punished for being a law abiding tax paying citizen. I don't have a clue what I am going to do.

www.in.gov...


I am adding my blog site: lkb.typepad.com...



posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by aero56
My husband was recently admitted to a nursing home because he suffers from vascular dementia, with symptoms very similar to Alzheimer's Disease. I took care of him for six years with no help from anyone, and no public assistance. I also work. I have been a tax paying citizen for 40 years. I love to work, and I love my job. I am a substitute school teacher in a middle, or intermediate center. While applying for medicaid assistance for him, I soon realized that I am chopped liver and medicaid could care less. The Spousal Impoverishment Protection Law was passed in 1988. This gave me some encouragement, as I feared I would be left with nothing. Well, I wasn't wrong entirely. Please keep in mind our living expenses. I pay bills and make rent and car payments based on our combined income. Now, I am going to be expected to make these same payments on 1/4 of the combined amount. I am told that medicaid does not see a vehicle as a necessity, and therefore they could care less about a car payment. Our health insurance premium is deducted from his pension check. Medicaid will only allow for his portion, I will have to pay my own portion. Medicaid does not care about any of my doctor, hospital or medication expenses. With what they state they will allow me, $200 a month, in addition to my income, will not anywhere near cover the rent, the car, nor the utility bills. I just received a call from the hospital where he has a balance. The lady told me that nevertheless, we are married and I am still responsible for his bills. Oh hell no!! Within the next two months, I will be living at the national poverty level. I can appeal the medicaid decision, but I would have to hire an attorney. I can't afford an attorney. I am a responsible individual. I am not asking for a "hand out". I am asking the state to do the right thing. I could take the option to quit my job and medicaid would allow more money. I don't know that figure. But, no, I am not going to quit my job. I don't sit on my butt. I love my job. I like being responsible. I feel I am being punished for being a law abiding tax paying citizen. I don't have a clue what I am going to do.

www.in.gov...


I am adding my blog site: lkb.typepad.com...



posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Im really sorry to hear this. SOmeoen close to me had alzheimers and that in itself is devastating, then to deal with this... my heart goes out to you.

We had never been on medicaid or care, but even those of us who were always financially okay are feeling the beginings of the financial fall. You need help and wont be alone pretty soon I fear. Our physicians and facilities better realize they are inthe same boat as the rest of us.. they like us cant count on our govt to take care of things correctly nor appropriate money we have given them for these programs. Im from New Orleans originally.. Katrina is played out in the media, but it held very important lessons for us all.. any and I mean ANY govt agency is corrupt and really doesnt care about you. Including Medicaid and medicare.

All I can offer you is prayer and hope that you can get something together for this situation before it gets even worse. I pray you find what you need to care for your loved one.



posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by aero56
 


It is a double edged sword, friend. Here in Ohio I am under a "spend-down" of several hundred dollars. I am wearing dentures that are 27 years old, and are worn down so that I have a lot of stomach problems, attested to by my doctor. I also need some new glasses. Medicaid will not pay for either of these. The only way I can get what I need is to, go off the QMB that pays my Medicare payment to S.S., and if I do that I will have to go off Medicare completely. Once off,you can never get back on, I am told. Only then could I get on managed health care plan, or regular Medicaide, and then I could get what I need. Here is the kicker:
My Medicare pays out thousands of dollars each year for my medical care, one operation last year cost $254,000. The State, it seems, would rather saddle that cost, rather than provide what amounts to several hundred dollars.
I have had State Hearings, and have written the Governor and State Medicaid board, all to no avail. Got my bad back fixed, now I will have to starve, or eat just soup.



posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I find it odd that many think medicaid should pay every living expense. I would love to get $200 free money every month.



posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthdude
I find it odd that many think medicaid should pay every living expense. I would love to get $200 free money every month.


I didnt see that in the OP... where did you see that?
Medicaid is set up for those who need care and cant get it out of pocket. I dont see anything in medicaid that pays your living expenses unless you are in a nursing home and cant care for yourself for medical reasons. Welfare is a different story.. but medicaid is specific. Meds, medical needs, care facilities. Not a 200.00 twinkie allowance. In reality, 200 bucks a month for a normal person wouldnt pay anything ( meds or food or shleter, or ANYTHING)... wouldnt cover my snacks and Dr Pepper a month. ONE of my daughters 7 meds costs 1600 a month. 200 bucks.. whatta joke. We have paid for 2 private insurances throughout her life and have significant medical bills for her. If someone without money had an ill child or loved one requiring care they cant afford, thats what medicaid is for. Its been given out like candy to lazy morons who dont deserve or require it.. and use an ER as a Dr office or drug dispensary ( worked in an ER for a little over a decade.. seen it myself) . THATS why we see stories like this. The Govt refuses to regulate medicaid properly.. then whines about not being able to live up to paying for real medical needs for people who need it.



posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by aero56
 



I understand Indiana cut their budgets and guess who's suffering for that - not them, not those that are taking advantage of the system but those that are truly in need.



posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by aero56

Originally posted by aero56
My husband was recently admitted to a nursing home because he suffers from vascular dementia, with symptoms very similar to Alzheimer's Disease. I took care of him for six years with no help from anyone, and no public assistance. I also work. I have been a tax paying citizen for 40 years. I love to work, and I love my job. I am a substitute school teacher in a middle, or intermediate center. While applying for medicaid assistance for him, I soon realized that I am chopped liver and medicaid could care less. The Spousal Impoverishment Protection Law was passed in 1988. This gave me some encouragement, as I feared I would be left with nothing. Well, I wasn't wrong entirely. Please keep in mind our living expenses. I pay bills and make rent and car payments based on our combined income. Now, I am going to be expected to make these same payments on 1/4 of the combined amount. I am told that medicaid does not see a vehicle as a necessity, and therefore they could care less about a car payment. Our health insurance premium is deducted from his pension check. Medicaid will only allow for his portion, I will have to pay my own portion. Medicaid does not care about any of my doctor, hospital or medication expenses. With what they state they will allow me, $200 a month, in addition to my income, will not anywhere near cover the rent, the car, nor the utility bills. I just received a call from the hospital where he has a balance. The lady told me that nevertheless, we are married and I am still responsible for his bills. Oh hell no!! Within the next two months, I will be living at the national poverty level. I can appeal the medicaid decision, but I would have to hire an attorney. I can't afford an attorney. I am a responsible individual. I am not asking for a "hand out". I am asking the state to do the right thing. I could take the option to quit my job and medicaid would allow more money. I don't know that figure. But, no, I am not going to quit my job. I don't sit on my butt. I love my job. I like being responsible. I feel I am being punished for being a law abiding tax paying citizen. I don't have a clue what I am going to do.

www.in.gov...


My blog URL is mssub.blogspot.com... Feel free to drop by and speak your mind!! Thanks!



new topics

top topics



 
8
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join