It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Practical, Everyday Survivalist: An Overview...

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by MMPI2

Originally posted by Ilovecatbinlady
All you need for a SHTF situation are:

A good knife,
A good pair of boots,
A lethal brain and
A kick ass torso and great abs.

What about us poor schmucks who have the first two, but are much lacking in the latter three?

Liposuction friend and save the fat to make your own soap and leather softener. For the abs, just flex when a hot survival chick walks passed.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

My option on the knife is a quality kukri. Have 2 if possible, also I added Leatherman type tools and everyone has a basic Swiss Army knife. I also have a Stone "A" Model from the old days for my personal backup.

Thanks for a great thread.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I reckon the Al Mar Pathfinder Combat Machete is the perfect utility tool and very good for fighting zombies. Anything larger when chopping wood, you might swing back and cut yourself. Additionally, this machete is small enough to keep it strapped onto yourself at all times.

With a slightly larger sheath you should be able to carry the fire starter kit, a couple of snares, a couple of fishing hooks and artificial bait, 20m fishing line, a couple of condoms as emergency water carriers, water purification tablets and a maylar thermal blanket.

In the photo, you will note a backup knife and as your ideal primary knife, you can't go wrong with the Ka-Bar Army Utility Knife-Serrated - cheap and cheerful.

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Dang. Those Al Mar's are impossible to find! I'd totally spend $300 on one of them bad boys!

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Xterrain

Well, they go for about $450 for mint condition examples.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
...in that case, I meant '$450' not $300. LOL. Too bad I can't find one right now.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

I just googled and the Al Mars have shot up $1200! iiieeeeah!!!! I think it is a museum example piece. Here is the link;

cgi.ebay.com... _trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D320608687000%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D61154934583075073 75
edit on 3-1-2011 by Ilovecatbinlady because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
A honest question about machetes.

Do I need one? Is it just for personal defense? I don't see myself cutting down a lot of jungle vines/palm leaves to make a shelter.

Also, is the huge difference between the Wal-Mart $7 machete and a $20 South African made one just the blade thickness and quality?

Thanks

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

There is a difference. You pay for what you get. The other thing you have to bear in mind is that you will have to be shown how to use a machete properly for safety especially when it is a long one.

You might consider getting the smaller better quality combat machetes which are more versatile, heavy but balanced and more expensive such as a kukri which can be used like an ax or a bowie.

These combat machetes are also good as secondary weapons when fighting zombies.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rede2go
I found out I could catch fish with a piece of line and a small plastic jig.

Damn, where you fishing at?

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
reply to post by WickettheRabbit

I would suggest going to an Army/Navy surplus, and looking at the US machete's with cases. The hard cases are easier to attach and carry with a pack.

That should be your standard, and then go back and compare others if you wish.

I used a machete a whole lot in SE Asia. If I may make a couple points.

The longer the blade, the greater the velocity in a stroke, and the easier your work will be. Even in Einstein's formula, you'll see that mass is not the number that's squared, but velocity. Longer the blade, the greater the velocity.

It's useful for breaking brush, picking off resin knots, clearing a sleeping area, making poles, it's a weapon in a pinch, and there's a reason they're so popular in more remote areas to this day.

I think Gerber has a machete with a saw back on the spine of the machete. With this one, you can cut or do some half-***ed sawing.

If you get one, and especially if you get the hard case, duct tape onto the outside of the case your preferred means of keeping it sharp.

You won't be shaving with it, but just a little sharpness on a machete goes a long way.

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
don't forget to outfit your jeep truck with a 1984 mercedes benz 300 turbo diesel engine, because EMP will take out your fancy new electronix. also fill your tires with SLIME and keep your diesel clean with enzymes to stabilize it.

a dead vehicle gets you no place.

posted on Jan, 9 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Ilovecatbinlady

Haha, thanks but no thanks. I found a Gerber LHR yesterday and grabbed that with a leg sheath. Still looking for a nice machete though...just not a $1,200 one. ;-)

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Just to address an issue: We train thru FEMA/HS and are taught its almost a NILL chance of a nuke attack on home soil. Not counting inter-continental delivery systems which we can take out, its just too hard to assemble all the necessary components for a nuke.

Whats scary is the potential radiological-biological attacks. Smaller, convenient, exportable, wide range of effect, does huge spreading contamination. Food buffets and transportation systems and shopping malls.
A HUGE potential for damage and passing of bio-effects home, then to schools, then to their homes, then to mom n dads workplaces, then to their co-workers homes,...then their kids take it to school, etc. Its FRiGHTENING.

Its the smaller, un-noticed acts that can cause the most havoc in places that arent prepared. Ricine, Boutulism, Hemmoragic Fever, simple ECOLI bacteria, simple mass influenza can cripple an area with loss of work, massive passing of germs, dehydration, weakness from serious diarrhea, can flood emergency sites and services crippling an economy.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Good fer ya mate. Stay strong and keep the wind to your back.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Hey semperfortis....where'd ya go? I am looking forward to hearing more.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthFreedomNow

I will soon..

But like any real survivalist, I have to survive now in this real world as well.. Meaning I have to work... (Sucks I know)

I will post this weekend my next segment...Titled...

"What do you REALLY need"

Semper

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Looking forward to it. Will it be just the very basics of an everyday carry pouch or something?

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by sonofliberty1776

A little more than that actually..

I want to kindly "Take Apart" the general assumption of "necessary" items...

Think... Multitasking.....

I have had fun formulating this one...

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Bring it on!!!

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join