It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could anarchy ever work?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This has been something I've been considering for a while. Let's say, in the future, free/renewable energy devices start coming out (hypothetically). People can then power their own stuff for free, meaning they could potentially grow their own food, making them no longer dependent on the grid. As this technology spreads, why would people need to steal if they have all they need?

To me, it seems like a lot of the world's issues today (especially in the middle east) are due to starvation and poverty. If we can get rid of this (again, hypothetically), could anarchy, a lack of gov't, work?

I would argue that it would. I think a contribution-for-the-whole-based society could work. I would argue that it's perfectly within human nature. Look at Linux.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Someone has to make these energy devices, I doubt they will do it for free. Capitolism is the enemy of free energy.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

those that control the govt will always desire to govern the rest of us..

if they cant control us one way they will find another or destroy the world trying to keep their control..

as long as "they" have heirs nothing will change..

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Anarchy will reign when and only when, we come together as a race and build heaven on earth through science and form a collective spirituality where we all share the same core understanding of respect for one another.
Then there will be no need for rules.

Till then... I think Anarchists are completely out of their gourd if they trust human nature to abide harmoniously in tough times.
Many do.. and give selflessly in tough times...
but many more do not...

once we correct human behavior and correct our environment to work entirely harmoniously (give or take a few hundred years)... then that's time for anarchy.. giving up rules one by one because they will be redundant... and useless.

-

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I think a better question would be whether or not society could work en-mass under ANY system?

The happiest and most efficient societies seem to be those relatively low in numbers. I've seen nothing to suggest a big society can function correctly under any political ideology. It could very well be there is no 'properly' working system for such large populations and peoples.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:01 PM
link   
It worked just fine for several million years.

I doubt 'civilization' will last that long!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Answering your thread title, look how 'slow' and ineffective our governments are at handeling problems, and now imagine a country without a central government, it will just be a total nightmare. Perhaps in small communities like each town/city with its own 'parliament or senate' you can have a little government, with out a central one, but no governmet al all is just daft.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I think it could not. Let's say there's city with 500,000 residents and no government, it would be total chaos. There allways needs to be someone with authority, and someone who makes decisions or things get wild. Too much rednecks, you know...

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Anarchy is a great idea...if people grow some testicles, get a clue, and refuse to be a victim. That is really all it takes.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CroMag
I think it could not. Let's say there's city with 500,000 residents and no government, it would be total chaos. There allways needs to be someone with authority, and someone who makes decisions or things get wild. Too much rednecks, you know...

You can have professional authorities that maintain the operation of a system without having a political authority to oversee the operations.

Anarchy via privatization, and then a well armed public that is astute and aware. Not like we have right now.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Nope. Humans instinctively form and join groups. Competing groups might be on a smaller scale than today's nations, but no less nasty. Look at ancient city-states or modern street gangs.

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Nikolas Tesla made a free energy tower....look it up...If I remember right the people [I think it was the Rockefellers]that funded the the experiment stopped due to zero potential to profit...So first we would have to get by the greed b_ _t_ _ds with this invention then we could talk about anarchy...

top topics

join