It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientific experiment to determine the existence of paranormal phenomena

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:03 AM
link   
So me and a good friend of mine were having a discussion the other day on our past experiences as kids with Ouija boards. We used to use "play" with them all the time and had alot of experiences with them that were interesting to say the least, as well as alot of easily explainable nonsense. I won't recount them since that isn't what this thread is about.

This led us to discussing the validity of Ouija boards and the paranormal in general and we eventually came up with an idea for an experiment to prove it. The idea is simple.

The problem with Oujia boards as having any proof of paranormal phenomena is the human factor. You must be physically touching the planchette for it to move, more than one person must be touching the piece, which means you never know if you are perhaps being tricked. and from personal experiments at least, your eyes must also remain open or the board will simply spell gibberish.

The generally non paranormal explanation is that people are subconciously moving the planchette with subtle uncontrolled movements and answering their own questions without concious knowledge of it. ( which is why your eyes must be open )

In todays day and age would it not be possible to simply attach some sort of "electrodes" to individuals arms and or upper torso which can measure muscle movement and contractions while holding the planchette. You then attach a sensor to the planchette to measure it's movements and direction in space. Then by recording the data while the board is used you can scientifically determine if anyone touching the piece is generating the momentum needed for it to travel in whatever direction it's going. Record which muscles are contracting and where their force is directed to see if everyone present is actually being lead by the planchette, or unconsciously moving it collectively.

While this experiment could not prove the existence of life after death / religion / or anything definitive, I think it could potentially show that there is actually something "para" or not normal / unknown happening when the board is in use. If this experiment was conducted and it was proven that those involved were not controlling it the implications at least would be huge in my opinion.

Or it could be conducted and found that we are indeed controlling it subconciously and have fooled ourselves for centuries!

So what are your thoughts ATS?

On either the method / validity of the experiment or, its implications either way if carried out.

edit on 23-12-2010 by cycondra because: I can't spell.

edit on 23-12-2010 by cycondra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by cycondra

That is actually a decent idea. It would be interesting to find out that we were moving it ourselves without knowing we were moving the planchette. I think that if we found this to be true than it could lend proof to telekinesis and the true power of the human mind.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   

I personally think this is a great idea!

I'll admit to being a little scared of them myself, but I'd do it for the sake of science, lol! Ya know, I'm actually a bit surprised that someone hasn't tried this before.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:41 AM
link   
There is an experiment that will prove or disprove if there's an afterlife: shoot yourself.
But before you do that, answer this. Why does practically everyone fear death if there is an afterlife?

That said your experiment won't prove anything.

edit on 23-12-2010 by Ghost374 because: last sentence

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost374

True it technically would not PROVE anything.

But it would create a question.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Yes but suppose that the electrodes show muscular activity. What hypothesis is proved? Doe it disporove spirits? I would argue that it does not. That is the real problem but any well designed experiment is good and would probably open the way for additional refinement.

Great idea

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

Well muscle movement would most definitely be recorded.

The question is whether or not the force generated is exerted on the planchette or not, lending to it's movement in whatever direction it is traveling at that time.

There are of course alot of other variables which I did not cover in the OP such as energy absorbed by friction and other things. But I would assume that if this experiment was actually carried out professionally that it would be noted and accounted for.

Thanks for liking the idea.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by tiger5

Oh and it definitely could not prove anything either way on the existence of spirits or anything of the like. It would simply show that an unknown force is exerting energy, and raise the question.

What is it?

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:31 AM
link   

I remember playing around with Ouija boardds when I was younger (won't do it know) and having odd electrical things happen. For instance, I remember when myself and a friend were camping in my backyard (we were about 13) and the battery powered lantern we were using (which had new batteries) started flickering and then died. I also remember other times when light would turn on and off. This makes me wonder if humans are capable of access the energy that is constantly around us and unknowingly focusing in one area? Hmm? I suppose the potential possibilities are endless. OP, do you have the capabilities and equipment to test this? I have been thinking very deeply about your post.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
I would suggest the OP check out Electronic Voice Phenomenon. This is the closest thing to scientific proof of paranormal phenomenon I have come across. It has to do with hearing things just outside of our hearing range above the 20hz level. I have done experiments and it actually exists and there are also many videos online if you wish to study further. Just do a google search for evp and reverse evps.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:43 AM
link   
All you would have to do is measure how much force it would take for the planchette to move on it own, using a force meter. But it would still be of no use seeing as the amount of force required to move the planchette would be far less than the required force to move your arm to follow the planchette. So that would always skew the results. In my opinion for the simple fact that it doesn't work with the players eyes open, leads me to strongly believe that it is a spiritual game, that is one that is controlled by the players minds and not some unknown entity. Still fun at gatherings none the less!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mateandbucky06

I had some similar experiences when I was younger.

As far as testing it myself, sadly not. I do not have access to the equipment that would be needed to conduct this experiment.

I wish I did.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Thing is that you gotta realize.
This communication device is being moved by YOU.
The whole point is that someone else is guiding you.

One thing though, i do see that this could just rule out something.
But chances are nothing will come out of it.

Best of luck ^^

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:54 AM
link   
reply to post by CPYKOmega

I have heard plenty about electronic voice phenomena. But sadly it doesn't matter if you stood in a silent room and recorded a perfectly crystal clear voice saying "Hey there, yes I am a ghost, we do exist!" it would prove nothing. There is no real scientific data to go along with it.

Personally I hate supposed EVP's. It's just pseudoscience as far as I'm concerned.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:59 AM
link   
reply to post by jaynkeel

I see your point. But if you also calculate the direction the forces are traveling and account for all of the expended energy you could easily find any anomalies.

I understand that to actually do this correctly it would be a huge undertaking. A University grant type deal most likely would be required to get anywhere close to a definite answer.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
What if the entity is actually possessing the users body and moving the device using the persons body? That would probably be registered as the person moving the piece.

I've always wanted to see more researchers using UV cameras. I think ghosts can actually be seen in this spectrum of light.

Take a look at this video - Scroll to 6:17 - For some reason it won't embed youtube time code.
www.youtube.com...=06m17s

The GAC team used it here, and seem to get a result. Not the greatest resolution, but whatever was there could actually be seen through the optics. It could be that only a fraction of what is there lies in the UV spectrum.

edit on 23-12-2010 by Freezer because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-12-2010 by Freezer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 02:53 AM
link   
If its any consolation, There are definitely other "beings" among us. Ever since i messed with a Ouija Board, i see like shadows that don't shouldn't be. mostly cause of where the light is when and where i see the shadow.

One time, in the reflection in the window, i saw a "full body apparition" that was apparently standing behind me, with its back to me. i noticed it in the reflection when it "walked" forward and out of the reflection. the motion attracted my eyes. the image was white so id imagine it was a woman wearing a wedding dress or something.

seeing the "ghosts" startled me the first couple times but I've grown pretty used to them at this point as i see at least one every day. i doubt they mean harm anyways.

now about the Board, are saying that the hand unconsciously moves the dial to reveal answers? maybe because the brain wants to talk to spirits. as that is the point. when i used it with my friends we only rested our index fingers on it, cause i wanted to make sure none of us were guiding it. But i don't know, its an odd phenomenon.

I say they exist, and im a pretty rational person who believes in science. but good luck with your experiment. i hope it proves something to you
edit on 23-12-2010 by Dissent because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-12-2010 by Dissent because: Question

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:15 AM
link   
ouija boards are inviting possibe demonic possession.

that fact that your eyes have to been open is because the spirit that possessed you needs to use your eyes to see what to spell.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Ghost374

Nothing can be proven, because proof cant prove itself. If his experiment would prove nothing like you say, then why do we experiment on anything at all, We all die right? and its not true that everyone fears death.
edit on 23-12-2010 by techniquespeaks because: typo

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:25 AM
link   

How can you hate something when you yourself have never experimented with it? I just took 2 hours and finally recorded my first evp. I asked the question. Why do reptilians keep humans trapped in the astral plane and there was a response around the 22 second mark of my mp3. It sounds like "purpose" to me. Check it out if ya want.

www.wikiupload.com...

edit on 12-23-2010 by CPYKOmega because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join