It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by Equinox99
I don't see the evidence as overwhelming in connecting your post with your title. For all we know the ancients could have depicted the moon as a flying being as well as the sun. The other point I wanted to get across is that many of these gods in the ancient times are kings themselves. In example, the Egyptian pharaohs were believed to be divine, some believed the animals were gods, Alexander the Great thought of himself as a god, the Japanese emperors were thought of as "kami" which is translated into god and etc.
So it would be foolish for us to think they seen flying discs but I am not ruling it out. My logic is telling me that if they shown themselves to the ancient primitives they would show themselves to us. We don't understand the terms they use or their times.
Originally posted by Kandinsky
The OP isn't allowing for this and isn't allowing for the facts that these symbols represent the Sun and deities associated in mythology with the Sun (Ra, Shamash, Apollo etc). The OP is making the claim that 'sun wheels' are the depiction of flying machines from parts unknown.
Originally posted by Kandinsky
Yeah I know. By 'OP' I meant 'opening post' rather than 'opening poster' as in yourself. I'm disagreeing with the points in the opening post.
After a couple of years of opposing posts, I guess we're doomed to disagree on most of these topics.
If we ever agree on them, it'll be a shock to both our systems.
Originally posted by Jason88
I have just one question, why depict the sun with spokes in it? Why not a solid circle, or just a circle without a center? It's spokes that literally make these ancient items a wheel, and a wheel moves.
Originally posted by dialecticchaos77
This may not be related, but I remember weird wheel references in the Old Testament. Note: I am not preaching, or bringing religion into this as the explanation. I just thought the reference was significant.
(Ezekiel 1:1, 4-5,15-16, NKJV)
The basilica was built by Constantine and dedicated by Pope Sixtus III in the 4th century. One of the best things about the Lateran is the baptistery, though it is a beautiful church in general, but I love the 8-sided baptistery.
There one reads: Here is born a people of noble race, destined for Heaven, whom the Spirit brings forth in the waters he has made fruitful. Mother Church conceives her offspring by the breath of God, and bears them virginally in this water. Hope for the Kingdom of Heaven, you who are reborn in this font. Eternal life does not await those who are only born once. This is the spring of life that waters the whole world, Taking its origin from the Wounds of Christ. Sinner, to be purified, go down into the holy water. It receives the unregenerate and brings him forth a new man. If you wish to be made innocent, be cleansed in this pool, whether you are weighed down by original sin or your own. There is no barrier between those who are reborn and made one by the one font, the one Spirit, and the one faith. Let neither the number nor the kind of their sins terrify anyone; Once reborn in this water, they will be holy.
Originally posted by Skyfloating
The symbol people have been most obsessed with as far back as the Stonge Age is the so-called "Sun-Wheel". This is also one of the only symbols found all over the world, from India to Ireland, from South America to Siberia.
This article proposes that the sun wheel, the "chariots of fire" and the "winged sun disc" are one and the same thing: Ancient flying devices used by extraterrestrials or technologically advanced humans.
The reason we can be fairly certain that the "spoked chariot wheels", "winged sun discs", "solar discs", "chariots of fire" and "sun wheels" refer to the same thing is because ancient scriptures refer to them in these different words and because they are sometimes shown with wings and sometimes without. Its reasonable to assume that the wings are shown in order to indicate "these discs fly!". Its as if the ancients wanted to make sure to communicate that message over long spands of time, by adding wings.
Ezekiel 1:15 (NIV)
As I looked at the living creatures, I saw a wheel on the ground beside each creature with its four faces.
Ezekiel 1:16-21 (NIV)
This was the appearance and structure of the wheels: They sparkled like chrysolite, and all four looked alike. Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel. As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the creatures faced; the wheels did not turn about as the creatures went. Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes all around. When the living creatures moved, the wheels beside them moved; and when the living creatures rose from the ground, the wheels also rose. Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, and the wheels would rise along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels. When the creatures moved, they also moved; when the creatures stood still, they also stood still; and when the creatures rose from the ground, the wheels rose along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels.
England, Northamptonshire: A fire in the sky, like a burning and revolving wheel, or round barrel of flame, emitting fire from above, and others in the shape of a long fiery beam, were seen through a great deal of the winter.
England: "A certain thing appeared in the likeness of fire in many parts of England every night. This fiery apparition, oftentimes when anybody went alone, it would go with him, and would stand still when he stood still. To some it appeared in the likeness of a turning wheel burning; to other some a round object, the likeness of a barrel, flashing out flames of fire at the head; to others, the likeness of a long burning lance."
Persian Gulf: The S.S. Vulture crew reported, two luminous rotating wheels, about 130 ft. across, seen above the water before diving
• Persian Gulf: The British steamer Patna was traversing the waters of the when around mid- night the captain and several other members of crew all saw two enormous glowing wheels each estimated to be 500 to 600 meters in diameter appeared underwater on each side of the ship. The wheels were spinning, one on each side with the spokes touching the ship. The sighting lasted 20 minutes and was witnessed by Captain Avern, third officer Manning, and Lee Fort Brace.
• USA, Arkansas, Homan: Capt. James Hooton was hunting in the vicinity of Homan when he heard the noise of a steam engine and found an object in a clearing. It looked like a cylinder with pointed ends, lateral wheels, and horizontal blade over it. Hooton spoke with a man who wore dark glasses and walked behind the craft. There were three or four occupants. The witness was told this was indeed "The Airship" and that it used compressed air for propulsion. Hooton saw the wheels spin as the craft rose and flew away.
• China Sea: Giant luminous wheels were seen by a British steamer.
• Persian Gulf: Objects described as rotating wheels, which could go under water were sighted and a Danish captain.
• USA, Colorado, Salida: Minister and family use a telescope to watch a silver UFO shaped like a wagon wheel.
• Hungary, Bata: "Fiery cartwheel" UFO is seen ascending from a hilltop in Bata, Hungary.
Project Blue Book Unknowns
• Canada, July 10, 1947; Harmon Field, Newfoundland, Canada. Between 3 and 5 p.m. local time. Witnesses: three ground crewmen, including Mr. Leidy, for Pan American Airways. Watched briefly while one translucent disc- or wheel-shaped object flew very fast, leaving a dark blue trail and then ascended and cut a path through the clouds.
Project Blue Book Unknowns
• Libya Sept. 1, 1958; Wheelus AFB, Libya. 12:15 a.m. Witness: Philco technical representative A.M. Slaton. One round, blue-white object flew at varying speeds. First sighting lasted 2 minutes, second lasted 1.5 minutes.
Project Blue Book Unknowns
• USA, New Jersey May 22, 1963; Pequannock, New Jersey. 10:45 p.m. Witness: Myra Jackson. Four pink wheels spun or rolled very fast from east to west in succession, each taking about 1 second.
• Brazil, Alto Purus: After work, latex collectors saw an object resembling a huge wheel, intensely bright, with two flaming openings in front, about to land near them. They went into hiding, and observed the craft as it flew away.
France, Attigneville: Jean Voilquin, 54, saw a strange "wheel" roll 15 m away at a speed of about 30 km/h. It was about 80 cm in diameter, 25 cm thick; it rolled away and vanished.