It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House drafts executive order for 'indefinite detention'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Is it just me, or is this administration almost INDISTINGUISHABLE from the Bush war criminal cabal?

I swear, it feels like I am continuously having de ja vu here.

Endless spying on the citizens, continuance of wars despite everyone's protestations, and now more "we'll hold you indefinitely, cuz we say so" stuff being signed off on.

It's NO WONDER these guys refused to look into the previous admin's war crimes, they are flagrantly continuing right on with all the same stuff!

Dubya and Dick Insaney must be grinning from ear to ear.

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Not arguing with your premise, as indefinite detention is appalling, but lets be clear here, this is about foreigners being detained, not american citizens.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Is it just me, or is this administration almost INDISTINGUISHABLE from the Bush war criminal cabal?

Endless spying on the citizens, continuance of wars despite everyone's protestations, and now more "we'll hold you indefinitely, cuz we say so" stuff being signed off on.

It's NO WONDER these guys refused to look into the previous admin's war crimes, they are flagrantly continuing right on with all the same stuff!

www.rawstory.com

Not arguing with your premise, as indefinite detention is appalling, but lets be clear here, this is about foreigners being detained, not american citizens.

You are absolutely correct. This issue currently is about non-regular, out-of-uniform foreign combatants taken in combat with US military forces.

They can and should be subject to battlefield executions, but the liberal knuckleheads running the show don't understand asymmetric warfare.

My fear is that NOW they are foreigners that are being detained...with barack obama, tomorrow they may be citizens of omaha, or atlanta, or los angeles, or cleveland, or boise.

This is a ploy right out of the fascist playbook.

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

www.rawstory.com

perhaps i have my bills mixed but he clearly has no problems with civilian preventative detention
As Rachel points out after he castigates bush for the same:
rachel maddow show ( May 21, 2009) :

edit on 22-12-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-12-2010 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:00 AM
link   
This is a scary development. You can be certain that it will be misused to silence anyone who is making the regime's administration awkward.

Here in the UK where they took away our rights to own guns, they haven't been able to bring in legislation for detaining without trial for 90 days. A right to a trial is a basic human right in any civilised country.

Habeas Corpus.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 04:23 AM
link   
You know guys, there's one thing I don't think I've ever seen anyone here say -- maybe because they don't understand, or maybe because they haven't thought of it. Or maybe it's because you always want to take the paranoid angle. Doom and gloom is much more interesting for you, isn't it. There was site-wide coverage on ATS during the oil spill, but once it was over not even 0.05% of you commented on it. Anyway, on to my point:

The more technology increases and reaches into everyone's home making it easier for them to connect with the world, the more these anti-constitutional laws will be enacted. You want to do away with all the corruption, do away with the technology that enables it.

A perfect example of this is wall street. People couldn't make the kind of money two decades ago that they can make now. Technology has allowed for trading instantaneously from the comfort of your own home. Likewise, groups who have an anti-American agenda can coalesce because of ease of access to high technology.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by pjslug

Works both ways, it's easier for the government to spread disinformation on the web. Likewise a protest can be made to happen in an organic way which makes it impossible for the TPTB to react quick enough to prevent.

The PTB must be having to paddle pretty quickly to keep up with the exposure their lies are getting on the web.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by pjslug

Technology is not the problem. It never is.

Technology simples makes whats happening happen faster. If you are happy to let people rob you of your liberty wealth and happiness then technology will let them do it better.

If you are willing to be a Serf then it matters not whether your master uses a computer or a horse and sword to extract your servitude.
edit on 23-12-2010 by justwokeup because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:17 AM
link   

www.rawstory.com

You're not alone man. I told people and even my wife that this guy was bad news even before he got into office. When he did get into office, I pointed out his tyrannical policies that he was creating. I still got mocked and told how great this guy was in comparison to Bush.After sometime now, and lot's of proof to work with......my wife is coming around now and I haven't heard much at all about Obama from anyone else. Of course, no one likes to be proven wrong and when they are...they clam up and just wish it to go away because is ruins the illusion of them being perfect and all knowing. Yeah, this guy is actually blood related to Bush and Cheney and even Palin.....whats the coincident? They are all republicans. I told my wife years ago that the perfect plan would be to groom a president as a republican and just "call" him a democrat and vice versa. That way you hold the white house no matter what side you're on.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 05:23 AM
link   

You know guys, there's one thing I don't think I've ever seen anyone here say -- maybe because they don't understand, or maybe because they haven't thought of it. Or maybe it's because you always want to take the paranoid angle. Doom and gloom is much more interesting for you, isn't it. There was site-wide coverage on ATS during the oil spill, but once it was over not even 0.05% of you commented on it. Anyway, on to my point:

The more technology increases and reaches into everyone's home making it easier for them to connect with the world, the more these anti-constitutional laws will be enacted. You want to do away with all the corruption, do away with the technology that enables it.

A perfect example of this is wall street. People couldn't make the kind of money two decades ago that they can make now. Technology has allowed for trading instantaneously from the comfort of your own home. Likewise, groups who have an anti-American agenda can coalesce because of ease of access to high technology.

You are correct, we at ATS are easily side-tracked, it's probably the reason why the elite can do what they do to us. The technology that we have keeps our eyes lowered to where we can't...... [:>/ ........[:>) ......looky there, a butterfly. Come here butterfly.....here butty, butty,......stand still so I can catch you and pin you to a board and prostitute you in a classroom.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Ted Kazinsky???

When did you get out?? Yes the doom and gloom screaming can get "addictive" I'm sure theres brain chemistry involved there somehow. But I don't think the medium completely creates the message. If the people we put in positions of trust wouldn't violate that trust we wouldn't have anything to point fingers at.

"Scandal" seems to be asmuch a human condition as "war" or "greed".Doing away with the newspaper will not do away with the scandals it reports. The interwebs affect us all and is (arguably) the most powerful development of technology in the history of man...
edit on 23-12-2010 by 46ACE because: correcting tense and improving structure...

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I know some people who might greatly benefit from "indefinite detention". Maybe if the crowd gets big enough, TPTB can call in some alumni to host some reformation classes. Maybe Martha Stewart could teach cooking, organic gardening, and origami decorating. Nice, huh?

If there is a good population in detention, perhaps more effort will be made to rehabilitate and keep the dissidents happy.

A lot of people "out there" really have no business being in a society that wants to live in peace and safety. Many are repeat offenders and nothing is going to deter them because they have no respect for themselves or others. They have been given numerous chances and they have proven themselves to be leeches on your society. It's time another "solution" is put in place for these types.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Alethea

Yes, I would agree with you.

The first ones that should be subject to that list would be pathologically lieing politicians, Banksters, Wall street criminals, and mega-corp heads who partake in political manipulations, along with their lobbyists.

Sounds like a good plan.

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   

www.rawstory.com

No, they are VERY distinguishable from Bush/Cheney. This is bordering on 50's USSR. I am sure there will be a round-up of political dissidents "for the good of the country". Lately the path the US is starting on sounds worse than PRC or Cuba. It is only a matter of time. I think it is past the point of rallying the townsfolk and staging an "intervention".

posted on Dec, 23 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by 46ACE
Ted Kazinsky???

When did you get out?? Yes the doom and gloom screaming can get "addictive" I'm sure theres brain chemistry involved there somehow. But I don't think the medium completely creates the message. If the people we put in positions of trust wouldn't violate that trust we wouldn't have anything to point fingers at.

"Scandal" seems to be asmuch a human condition as "war" or "greed".Doing away with the newspaper will not do away with the scandals it reports. The interwebs affect us all and is (arguably) the most powerful development of technology in the history of man...
edit on 23-12-2010 by 46ACE because: correcting tense and improving structure...

We keep voting these same jack asses into office! Americans are idiots, so take the blame where it lies first. We all have the complete power to overhaul the government and put an entirely fresh team of people in. The people are just too disorganized to pull off something like that and would rather whine and complain instead of trying to make real change.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Another recent article which calls into question this latest criminality...

Obama's Liberty Problem: Why Indefinite Detention by Executive Order Should Scare the Hell Out of People

The proposal to create a special new legal system by Executive Order is an end run around Congress and the Judiciary. It will lengthen the illegal detentions in Guantanamo and will force this entire system back into the courts for years. It will further damage US efforts to portray itself as a fair country of laws, and will threaten the liberty of every single US citizen who is not in Guantanamo because it will damage the due process guarantees which have built up over the years to protect each one of us.

Full Article:

www.alternet.org...

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 09:59 PM
link   
how the f is potus allowed to bypass due process legally. now don't get me wrong i know they have been doing so illegally for years but to brazenly annouce they are going to do it legally because obama says so is a slap in the face to the constitution

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

I doubt it. Looks more as though he took the sara palin route. Ka-ching.

TPTB love assange. He gave you hope. Hope for change. Sound like anyone we know?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join