It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's official: Telling the truth makes you a "terrorist"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
There's a difference between doing investigative reporting and doing what Wikileaks has done.

There is a difference between journalistic integrity and what Wikileaks has done.

That difference is that Wikileaks simply took hundreds of thousands of documents and made them available to the general public without any screening or regard for the content of those documents or the consequences their release might have.

Rather than using those documents to empower investigations into the behavior and policies of our government - the data was treated in the most irresponsible way possible.

Because of this - wikileaks is both a terrorist organization and an embarrassment to journalism and whistleblower programs.

Bull. If those docs were so sensitive, then the idiots at Foggy Bottom screwed up by not protecting them better - that in and of itself is a big story right there.

You accuse Assange of being irresponsible? What about the morons at DOS who let all this info be taken?

Let the eggs fly and plaster the morons at the state department, because that's all it is - an embarrassment to the DOS.

At the very least, Wikileaks has done the US a favor by showing how lapses in secure doc handling are common at DOS.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknows
reply to post by The Sword

S & F, Sword,

You are so right.

Governments and other powerful people are scared s---less about what will be revealed.

And if you are scared about what may be revealed you are desperate to hide it, therefore it is shameful and against the interests of the free world.

I agree that the charges of rape are probably trumped up, and by calling Assange a terrorist, they are trying to instil hatred and mistrust so their evil secrets remain covered.

I salute Assange as a brave person determined to reveal the truth.

No doubt here. I am sure 300 years ago they would have called him a witch and a devil worshipper.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Just wait until the Government passes S. 3081, which is in judiciary...

Then we will all be terrorists.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aim64C
There's a difference between doing investigative reporting and doing what Wikileaks has done.

There is a difference between journalistic integrity and what Wikileaks has done.

That difference is that Wikileaks simply took hundreds of thousands of documents and made them available to the general public without any screening or regard for the content of those documents or the consequences their release might have.

Rather than using those documents to empower investigations into the behavior and policies of our government - the data was treated in the most irresponsible way possible.

Because of this - wikileaks is both a terrorist organization and an embarrassment to journalism and whistleblower programs.

I don't see Wikileaks as a journalistic establishment, I see them as a warehouse for documents and information which empower journalists to investigate "the behavior and policies of our government".

As I have stated on other occasions, this boils down to a "you can't handle the truth" debate.
One camp (the one I agree with) believes that complete transparency is necessary for a true democracy.
While the opposing camp believes that a chosen few should have control over information and decide what the general public ought and ought not to know.

The argument, that the information made available by Wikileaks is a potential threat to particular institutions, individuals and national security is a prevalent one, and potentially a very valid one, so could you please post specific examples of this so they can be discussed individually?

Thank you very kindly,
the Billmeister
edit on 21-12-2010 by Billmeister because: punctuation

edit on 21-12-2010 by Billmeister because: grammer... sheesh!

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
I just wanted to rant about what I've read in the following article. There are already threads on it but this thread is not about the article itself, but rather about my disappointment in U.S officials and their willingess to call Mr.Assange a "high-tech terrorist".

Biden: Assange a high-tech terrorist

I don't think that Mr.Biden understands the importance of the mission that Assange and Wikileaks are carrying out. You can argue until the cows come home about whether or not Wikileaks is a CIA operation, etc. However, you cannot deny the PURPOSE of their mission and that is to get out information to the PEOPLE that would otherwise not be available.

We need to see that we are living inside of a veil that must be lifted if we are to save ourselves from the tyranny of governments and corporations and their nefarious agendas.

The torture of Bradley Manning and the rape charges against Julian Assange are proof that governments DO NOT want the people to know what they say/do behind our backs. If it were a CIA operation, neither man would be subject to such treatment.

Just think about that before you join Mr.Biden and his cronies in denouncing Mr.Assange and Wikileaks. If you must do so, we know whose side you are on and you are going to be subject to criticism unless you can substantiate your opinions and positions on Mr.Assange and Wikileaks.

If getting the truth out makes one a terrorist, then so be it. The people have a right to their freedom, they have a right to know and as long as they're willing to wake up and LIFT THE VEIL, the truth will not stay hidden!

edit on 20-12-2010 by The Sword because: Fixed link, etc

Ah ol' bankster lapdog Biden.

Have you lost your soul to the Federal Reserve Cartel? Do you have a soul in the first place? No?....eh...Can't
blame you for selling the american people out and cashing out your rockefeller paycheck. Go ahead enjoy your orgies,coc aine,cars,houses etc. F--- the american public.

The Bilderberg puppet speaks.Selling out the american people one line of coc aine at a time.
Does rockefeller's nutsack taste like high grade pure coc aine,opium or oil? no wait...Go f--- yourself banker puppet.

We are america not you banker scum.

posted on Dec, 21 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by The Sword

The local police have been terrorizing the drug dealers down the road from me too!
Then again they have been terrorizing law abiding citizens as well

posted on Dec, 22 2010 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

What's your point?

What you've said is correct but to many others, they haven't quite realized that this stuff happens. This is why we need to demonstrate to those who are awakening just what happens when someone tells the truth.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join