It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2011

page: 34
<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MoorfNZ
Unconfirmed news from El Mundo in Spain that there might be a new submarine eruption going on 7 km off the coast of El Hierro in the Canary Islands in 500-2000 meters (reports are unclear) behind the ocean surface

www.wired.com...

Aha! thank you for that....I did wonder if there was some underwater 'event' going on given the 4.4 caused landslides on land.
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Olivine
Hi Muzzy,

Your maps are very nicely done! Thank you for putting that data together. Stars for you.
I bet you are correct about the M4+ being responsible for the SE shift of the cluster. Are the latest tremors more shallow?

Thankyou

Yes they are.
Another map showing the 9th UTC by depth

2 events @ 1.3ML at 0 depth, possibly the source of the eruption.

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

An underwater volcanic eruption is taking place just off Spain's El Hierro island in the Canaries, which has been rocked by thousands of small tremors since July, local officials said Monday.

www.expatica.com...

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
likely at the location of the 0 depth events

Google Maps Satellite images for Hierro are pretty crap
you can see on this Google Earth map an "edifice/ seamount" below the ocean surface
GE Map

heres theKML file in case the map won't open for you or the icons are too big, depends on the setting you have in Tools/Options (took a while for the map to convert to GE for me)

screenshot for those that don't have Google Earth installed

edit on 10-10-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

from that link, the head of the island's local council, Alpidio Armas said

"If the magma gets out, which appears will be the case, it will mean that the seismic movements will decrease,"

hmmm, could be the case, only 8 tremors for 10th Oct so far, 6 hrs into the day
IGN list

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

It had me fooled for a bit, thinking it had done it's bit, but then it started up again, and looks like it's getting stronger to me. (sorry, pan right)
edit on 10-10-2011 by zenius because: stuffed up

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:22 AM
link   
Jon Friemann has suggested that the magma movement could have been into an empty chamber as a result of the 4.4, if this is the case then something far more serious could be building up for the people of El Hierro.You can see his comments on Erik Klemetti's blog Eruptions @ that site Wired.

@PuterMan and Robin Marks......Hunter Full Moon today....we shall see!

Rainbows Jane

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Anak Krakatoa next?
Look at this link
and check out the seismo vid. Interesting signature, almost a pattern.

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
"Earthquake-report.com statement : What a shame ! The Nautilus ROV, a remotely operated deepwater robot is currently diving towards the Gettysburg Seamount off the coast of Portugal (see video link above). It left Malaga on Saturday!We do not want to decrease the value of the Portugal seamount dives, but science has the occasion in El Hierro to search and watch in HD for the first time an underwater volcano eruption which has been closely monitored by many instruments for months. We cannot understand why the Spanish government does not make a deal with the Portuguese government to call the Nautilus (or another ROV) directly to El Hierro. What are they waiting for? We think that in modern times science has his priorities too. So we call upon the Spanish and Canary Island authorities to contact the Nautilus management and hope to see the ship within a few days around El Hierro."

earthquake-report.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
in case some of you have missed this story id thought to add it to the discussion ..

www.foxnews.com...

MADRID-- Officials say they are evacuating some 600 residents from a small coastal town on the Spanish Canary island of Hierro because of volcanic activity in the area. Read more: www.foxnews.com...

looks like its getting pretty hectic down there and we can hope its not going to be a major eruption but i also wish i was there to see it for my self .

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
and some more

Update 11/10 – 14:40 UTC : Following Joke Volta, a Dutch artist living on El Hierro and talking to Earthquake-Report.com, a RED ALERT has been declared for La Restinga, the southernmost city on the island. The Yellow Alert remains for the rest of the island. The precautionary measure has been taken as the eruption might come nearer to the island (ER: it is far from sure that such an eruption will occur on the island itself). We have still NO official press report of this measure in Emergencia El Hierro. La Restinga has a population of 547 people.

IMPORTANT UPDATE 14:04 UTC : The government of the Canary Island has asked the population of the Southernmost City of La Restinga (also an important port) with an urgent call to come together on the local football field. People at the island think that the meeting is scheduled to prepare for an eventual opening of vents closer towards the island.
The authorities have called a press conference in Valverde soon to give more information about their decision. We will bring you the information as it is published. We will however not speculate on the next measure to be taken.

earthquake-report.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Latest
11/10/2011 16:32 – The epicenter of recent seismic activity seems to be shifting toward the center of El Hierro. The National Geographic Institute expects higher intensity earthquakes, between 4 and 5 degrees, as the pressure of the lava underground searches for a point to escape.

11/10/2011 16:30 – According to the National Geographic Institute (IGN) experts, more earthquakes are expected that are likely to exceed 4 degrees on the Richter scale.

From
www.canariesnews.com...
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Here's a link to Jon Friemmans blogg which you all might find interesting about El Hierro
www.jonfr.com...
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
Latest
11/10/2011 16:32 – The epicenter of recent seismic activity seems to be shifting toward the center of El Hierro. The National Geographic Institute expects higher intensity earthquakes, between 4 and 5 degrees, as the pressure of the lava underground searches for a point to escape.

11/10/2011 16:30 – According to the National Geographic Institute (IGN) experts, more earthquakes are expected that are likely to exceed 4 degrees on the Richter scale.

From
www.canariesnews.com...
Rainbows
Jane

Indeed the data shows an 8 hour gap with no activity and only 6 events up to 2011/10/11 15:55:21.63 with only 2 of them only just offshore
www.ign.es...
I wonder what makes them think there are more Mag 4's coming?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

that geological map from DrG is a keeper

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy

that geological map from DrG is a keeper

Is it? I can't get it to load....my poor laptop! I think the lack of eq's is what made Jon Friemann think magma is going to surface in land somewhere and that it is on the move. Hence the evacuation from my understanding. Perhaps PuterMan can help us out. I know he sounded a bit perplexed with the readings earlier.......maybe he has flown over there by Ryanair to get his first experience of an eq!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Siesmo and Spectragram showing pretty intense activity from 06:00 UTC

www.ign.es...

not sure how you read those, but when the graph at the top is solid thick line with no peaks that can't be good, can it?

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Going by earlier posting by delko this looks more intense! Maybe there are 3 and 4's on the way then? Also on jon Friemanns blog they are calculating (them being scientists and everything) that if one of the volc's do blow it could be a VEI 3 or 4! Aaaarrrgh!
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

yeah its a big image 2.36 MB

posted on Oct, 11 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

not sure how you read those, but when the graph at the top is solid thick line with no peaks that can't be good, can it?

No, Not Good! Tremor - constant.

top topics

<< 31  32  33    35  36  37 >>

join