It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Volcano watch 2011

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Latest on Krakatoa

"Tourists warned to stay clear of Anak Krakatau volcano
Posted on October 4, 2011 by The Extinction Protocol
October 4, 2011 – INDONESIA - Authorities are warning tourists and fishermen to stay more than a mile (two kilometers) from a smoking Indonesian volcano known as ‘Child of Krakatoa.’ The volcano in the Sunda Strait, 80 miles (130 kilometers) west of the capital, Jakarta, was created by the same tectonic forces that led to the 1883 Krakatoa eruption that killed tens of thousands of people. Its “child,” growing five yards (meters) a year, is now 1,320 feet (400 meters) tall and popular among hikers. Gede Suantika of the Center for Volcanology says the mountain’s alert level was raised to the second-highest level last week after the number of volcanic tremors soared from 200 a day to 7,200. Suantika said Tuesday that he worries a powerful burst could shoot incandescent rocks down its slopes and far into the ocean. –Jakarta Globe"

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Still on Krakatoa, just found this
"Tuesday, Oct 04, 2011
Anak Krakatau volcano (Sunda Strait, Indonesia): new eruption
10h51 AM | Age: 20 min
A new eruption occurred at Anak Krakatau yesterday (3 Oct). A large (2-3 km high) ash cloud was seen rising from the volcano observatory on Java's west coast and is seen in a news TV video.
The eruption followed an unusual seismic crises that had started 30 Sep and produced more than 5700 quakes recorded in a few days.
If you're interested in an expedition to Krakatau to have a look at this new eruptive phase, please contact us, or simply leave a facebook comment below."

Here

www.volcanodiscovery.com...

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Thanks, I haven't seen any earthquake activity near the crater lake or any press releases from GNS for 3 months for that matter, so its pretty quiet there.
Usual activity all around the volcano though, background siesmicity you see every day on the downloads
www.geonet.org.nz...

41C is just about the same temp as our spa pool

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Hierro
04102011- 79 events

settling down

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
Katla has my attention now especially since the activity there since early this morning.

Fingers crossed as I've to fly to Nimes in two weeks.

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Katla in an bad mood.....
en.vedur.is...

posted on Oct, 5 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Hierro - 70 events - 2.247 tonnes of TNT released

another afternoon surge

edit on 6-10-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Hmmm, indeed, not as many events as Hengill though, but a vaster range of magnitude, from -0.4 to 3.9
Hengill - 164 events

Katla - 73 events

but its all in the energy released

Katla - 13.4446 tonnes of TNT
Hengill - 0.2216 tonnes of TNT

edit on 6-10-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Hard to get stars on this thread

Slight upgrade on the map, Mag

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
www.volcano.si.edu...

the weekly global update which people have been either forgetting about or or its me who is less interested in these things ...

anyway

28 September-4 October 2011 New Activity/Unrest: | Hierro, Canary Islands (Spain) | Krakatau, Indonesia | Nabro, Eritrea | Rincón de la Vieja, Costa Rica | Shiveluch, Central Kamchatka (Russia) | Villarrica, Central Chile Ongoing Activity: | Cleveland, Chuginadak Island | Etna, Sicily (Italy) | Karymsky, Eastern Kamchatka (Russia) | Kilauea, Hawaii (USA) | Kizimen, Eastern Kamchatka (Russia) | Puyehue-Cordón Caulle, Central Chile | Sakura-jima, Kyushu | Santa María, Guatemala

Nabro is acting up again tho im not surprised and a few others as well ...

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
1550 volcanoes at your fingetips
active volcanoes

Warning: There are approximately 1550 Volcanos in the database, I don't recommend clicking on this button when showing more than half of the world (and that will be slow)

I tried it and Firefox crashed

edit on 7-10-2011 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
and a note to Katla in >Iceland .. either hurry up and blow your top or settle the crap down already .. im adivising you to please stop teasing us ...

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

Looks like she is settling down again.

New GE imagery for Eyja
www.abovetopsecret.com...

BUT

Not sure I like the inflation at GOLA
edit on 8/10/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Shenon

Mark Dunphy is coming up with more and more suppositions in his articles.

That is pure conjecture on the basis that this pattern at Reykjanes happens every year and Katla does not.

My apologies that was not directed at you. Thanks for linking the article.

edit on 8/10/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
www.washingtonpost.com...

MADRID — The regional government of the Spanish Canary Island of El Hierro has issued a volcanic eruption alert following almost 10,000 small tremors recorded in the past three months.

hisz.rsoe.hu...

The Canary Island of El Hierro on Saturday night suffered its largest earthquake so far in the current run of tremors which some fear are pointing to a forthcoming volcanic eruption on the island. The quake measured 4.3 on the Richter scale, and the epicentre was located a kilometre from the southern coast of the island at a depth of 13 kilometres. It led to some landslides in the municipality of El Pinar, but there are no reports of any injuries. The National Geographic Institute, IGN, has recorded 890 quakes in the week of October 1 – 7, most of them located at sea to the SW of the island. A yellow alert for a possible volcanic eruption remains in place, and despite this latest large tremor, the experts still consider that a volcanic eruption is not imminent.

i think its time to keep a much closer eye on this baby of ours . and katla as well . which one of these two will blow first ? im leaning towards EL heirro.

yet on the rsoe site their lagging in my opinon on their alerts and all..

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:20 AM
link   
www.thejakartapost.com...

"Despite increasing activity at six volcanoes across the country, the National Disaster Management Agency (BNPB)
says there is no need to evacuate residents for now.

BNPB spokesperson Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said on Sunday that the volcanoes on high alert were Mount Tambora in West Nusa Tenggara,
Anak Ranakan in East Nusa Tenggara, Papandayan in West Java, Karangetang and Lokon in North Sulawesi,
and Anak Krakatau in the Sunda Strait.

“These volcanoes are on alert level III, which means all volcanic parameters show that activities could develop into an eruption or disaster,”
he told The Jakarta Post via text message.

He said that Anak Krakatau was producing five thousand tremors per day.
A 2-kilometer exclusion zone has been set up around the volcano.

Sutopo said the volcanoes were being monitored 24 hours a day."

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Interesting development at Hierro
since the 4.4 mag quake of the 8th UTC a dramatic south east shift of the earthquake cluster
so much so I had to change the center point on my map

I wonder if the 4.4 was a breakthrough of the magma into a new chamber?

Putting it all together, its a big job, lots of map and graph images

Volcanic Tremors- Hierro

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Hi Muzzy,

Your maps are very nicely done! Thank you for putting that data together. Stars for you.
I bet you are correct about the M4+ being responsible for the SE shift of the cluster. Are the latest tremors more shallow?

posted on Oct, 10 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Unconfirmed news from El Mundo in Spain that there might be a new submarine eruption going on 7 km off the coast of El Hierro in the Canary Islands in 500-2000 meters (reports are unclear) behind the ocean surface

www.wired.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join