It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Traditions Will You Partake In This Christmas?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:37 AM
link   
We've just got back from doing the Christmas Light Display tour in the area. With the costs of power rising there are fewer and fewer displays each year, but a tradition in my family for as long as I can remember. Back in those early years there were not fancy patterns and flashing lights, huge blow up santas or reindeer statues. Back then it was a search for the best looking Christmas tree in a front window. Back then we walked around the neighborhood and the majority of houses had a tree lit up. Now we drive - quite a few kilometres - just to keep the tradition going.

Christmas carols in the local park is a pleasant way to spend the evening, except they were all washed out this year.

Another tradition is to take in 'strays' or 'orphans' as we lovingly call them. Anyone with no family or relatives to be with, those new to the country who haven't experienced an Aussie Xmas, anyone who may be spending the day alone. The more the merrier is so very true.

As it will be hot, cold meats and salads will be the main meal, with lots of nibblies like bikkies and dip, chips, nougat, shortbread, and maybe trifle or pavalova for dessert.

No matter what their background or belief system, we all share a meal and embrace and welcome each other's differences and beliefs. But all are greatly encouraged to crack open the bon bons and wear the paper crowns and tell the silly jokes that are contained within them.
Then, when lunch is finished, in true Aussie style, the men fall asleep in their chairs while the women chat and watch the kids play while cleaning up.

I'd like to try some new things this year and would love to hear how others celebrate or what traditions you partake in.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

The tradition of overeating pork leg, drinking to much beer, falling asleep, waking up, eating some more, falling asleep, and so forth. It is an evil cycle.

vvv

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:47 AM
link   
I will follow the most important tradition this Christmas and that is surrounding myself with the most important people in the world. The people I love the most... My family!

IRM

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

Since christmas is a pagan holiday and has
nothing whatsoever to do with Jesus/Yeshua.
I don't celebrate it at all and haven't put up a
tree since 1985.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Certainly not as many as in my youth... but I usualy go to a mummers play on Boxing Day (26th)

and I will most likely be wassailing on the 12th Night

Middle Farm Wassail, With Hunters Moon Morris
(just along the road from me, a
community event)

Wassailing in Sussex is known as Howling.. and traditionally held on old 12th Night.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

Gee, you'd fit right in if you lived in this country.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

I am not religious, but respect those who are. Christmas in my family is all about love, caring and peace. We all may be living miles away, but Christmas is when we all come together. If we can't be together for some reason, phone calls and skype are frequently used.

I guess Christmas for us is a time of consciously giving of ourselves to others and appreciating the people in our lives.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

That's fantastic. But what do you all do when you get together?
Is there anything that you do each year together?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

I don't know what a mummers play is, nor had I heard of wassailing before. Are these a cultural tradition or personal interest?

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by zenius
reply to post by thoughtsfull

I don't know what a mummers play is, nor had I heard of wassailing before. Are these a cultural tradition or personal interest?

Both are traditional.. and related to Christmas..

Wassailing is linked closely with modern carol singing.. tho there are 2 aspects, the carol singing wassail and the apple tree wassail, tho the later in Sussex is held on the old 12th night of Christmas.

Wassail is also the name for the drink that is drunk out of a wassail bowl

It certainly wouldn't be Christmas without a little wassail to share with everyone

I know it is wiki but is helpful
en.wikipedia.org...

A mummers play is a traditional Christmas play held in the open on Boxing Day/St Stephens Day, involving, Santa, St George, and a lot of giggles

I like those community events, where everyone gets together, shares a few drinks, laughs, songs and Christmas cheer..

edit on 20/12/10 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by zenius

I do have respect for other peoples' feelings,
that's why I left church yesterday morning.
Our church was going to have a happy birthday
Jesus service.I knew that I would say something,
so,I left.

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I'm not religious...I believe in God, and I do identify more with Christian tradition than anything else, I don't go to church, and by no means would I consider myself a good Christian. Most of my family members are Christian or some flavor of it. I intend to spend this Christmas, however, doing what Christmas is intended to do. To give to, show love to, and spend time reinforcing ones bonds with family. To give thanks to God for giving us a solar system and an expansive ever evolving universe to play in.

Merry Christmas, and May God Bless.
edit on 20-12-2010 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Lights, Tree, Presents, Family... basically the whole thing.

new topics

top topics

join