It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Across Australia on a motorbike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I am planning to travel from the east coast to West coast of Australia in the next few months, Ill be doing this on my little Honda CB250 (So i will not be breaking any land speed records getting there). I am really looking forward to it, No motels or rooms just a bike and a tent to sleep at the side of the road.

I am nervous but excited as i have never attempted such a long trip on a bike before, so the planning has started, a lot of what ifs (breakdowns, flat tyres, etc etc).

The nullarbor plains will be interesting as i have heard there has been numerous UFO sightings over the years, So ill be keeping my eyes open.

So, has anyone done a long trip(s) on a bike? Any advice? Stuff you forgot that you should have taken, other things to consider?

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by zero314

Ive done from Perth all the way across the top to the Gold Coast, in a car

I would suggest carrying as much water as possible, and also fill up everytime you see a petrol station. Once you get over this side of the country, the towns become increaqsingly further away

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
lots of water

be careful.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Also, do not drive at night

Its bad enough hitting a cow or roo in a car. Do it on a motorcycle and you're pretty much dead

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by zero314

I'm assuming you have seen "The long way round / down" series with Ewen Mcgreagor.

Not sure exactly how useful they are though as they have a back up team

My advice.... Get a tough reliable bike that you can fix with tape and string

ETA
Whats the range of a CB250 between fill ups?
edit on 18-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I've been thinking of doing this on an actual bicycle some day. Will take many days, but this way you get to enjoy the land more. On a fast automobile it just seems to me your only purpose for the journey is to get to the destination. On bicycle it's for the journey there AND the destination.

At 100km/day it would take approx 40 days to do the trip. 80 days total if coming back via same manner. A lot of time alone traversing the Australian landscape.

Just putting it out there.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Water shouldnt be an issue i have a 3LTR camelback and can carry around another 4 litres.

Yes i have seen the ewan mcgregor series 'long way down and round' a few years ago, great show but they also have the money for awesome backup team, sat phones, and probably helicopters to pick them up if they get stuck lol.

I agree with no night time riding. I have to do it at the moment to get to work but thats only 5kms down the road, and i have already hit a Kangaroo in that short distance, i didnt come off but did some damage to the bike and my leg.

With regards to fuel i get around 230-250kms between tanks, but i am thinking of taking 2 x 2 litre bladders one in each saddlebag, just as a backup. I still have to research petrol stations as ozweatherman said in WA they can become increasing far away from each other.

Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming!

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
I've been thinking of doing this on an actual bicycle some day. Will take many days, but this way you get to enjoy the land more. On a fast automobile it just seems to me your only purpose for the journey is to get to the destination. On bicycle it's for the journey there AND the destination.

At 100km/day it would take approx 40 days to do the trip. 80 days total if coming back via same manner. A lot of time alone traversing the Australian landscape.

Just putting it out there.

Wow, now that would be a trip! Personally i think i would have to do quite a bit of fitness training before starting that journey or i would be dead after 10kms lol.

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by zero314

Well the training would take only a little while. Good physical benefits on doing such a trip aswell. My advice to you though for your motorbike journey, although you may already have thought/have these things:

* A mosquito net
* Sleeping bag
* Rain-gear
* Small portable shovel (in case it rains, can be used to dig a small trench around where you sleep so the water doesn't flood your sleeping-space)
* You can save space and weight on your pack by ditching the tent and making due with a hootchie incase it rains.
* Military canteens, they are great, be sure to carry atleast 5 litres at all times incase any thing goes wrong
* It could be a good idea to carry a bit of petrol with you at all times, just incase.
* Torch
* Lighter
* Hootchie Cord
* Minimal amount of clothes, I would say just one-two pairs is enough. Unless you want to pick-up chicks when you get to the west haha.
* basic toiletry: you know, toothbrush, toothpaste, baby-whipes to clean yourself when you haven't been to a shower.
* Ofcourse take your phone and other things you want for fun.
* A knife. A useful knife though, helpful for cutting twigs and such.
* With food try and just take small but high-calorie meals, preferably in a can. Like beans, or condensed milk, spam, etc.
* If you want to cook food, try and get those small portable cooker. Not electric. something like this
Military Stove
They are quite small, but can cook something good. just need a firesource underneath. I am mostly about saving space for other things, as carry weight is important for me so things will be different on a motorbike. Heck you could probably bring a full-fledged electric portable stove.

You may have thought of these things before, so i'm just pointing it out again incase you missed something. Being prepared for unforeseen circumstances is a great thing.

edit on 18-12-2010 by Somehumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by zero314

Are you going to be doing this completely alone?
Not to sound like a pommy wuss or anything but what happens if you ditch the bike and break your ankle?

I don't know but I'm assuming you will be riding in places with no phone reception and little to no passing traffic

I would have thought taking at least one mate with you would be advisable

At least then they could ride ahead and get help

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing
reply to post by zero314

Well the training would take only a little while. Good physical benefits on doing such a trip aswell. My advice to you though for your motorbike journey, although you may already have thought/have these things:

* A mosquito net
* Sleeping bag
* Rain-gear
* Small portable shovel (in case it rains, can be used to dig a small trench around where you sleep so the water doesn't flood your sleeping-space)
* You can save space and weight on your pack by ditching the tent and making due with a hootchie incase it rains.
* Military canteens, they are great, be sure to carry atleast 5 litres at all times incase any thing goes wrong
* It could be a good idea to carry a bit of petrol with you at all times, just incase.
* Torch
* Lighter
* Hootchie Cord
* Minimal amount of clothes, I would say just one-two pairs is enough. Unless you want to pick-up chicks when you get to the west haha.
* basic toiletry: you know, toothbrush, toothpaste, baby-whipes to clean yourself when you haven't been to a shower.
* Ofcourse take your phone and other things you want for fun.
* A knife. A useful knife though, helpful for cutting twigs and such.
* With food try and just take small but high-calorie meals, preferably in a can. Like beans, or condensed milk, spam, etc.
* If you want to cook food, try and get those small portable cooker. Not electric. something like this
Military Stove
They are quite small, but can cook something good. just need a firesource underneath. I am mostly about saving space for other things, as carry weight is important for me so things will be different on a motorbike. Heck you could probably bring a full-fledged electric portable stove.

You may have thought of these things before, so i'm just pointing it out again incase you missed something. Being prepared for unforeseen circumstances is a great thing.

Thanks for the list, It was very beneficial. I didnt take into account a stove for cooking small meals and heating water (not sure what the hell i was thinking i was going to do for food lol) or a shovel for trenching around the tent, now added to my gigantic list!

posted on Dec, 18 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by zero314

Are you going to be doing this completely alone?
Not to sound like a pommy wuss or anything but what happens if you ditch the bike and break your ankle?

I don't know but I'm assuming you will be riding in places with no phone reception and little to no passing traffic

I would have thought taking at least one mate with you would be advisable

At least then they could ride ahead and get help

I would love to do this with another person / people. But not many people i know really ride bikes and the ones that do are just sports bikes (toys) that only leave the shed on sundays, if it isnt raining.

I guess this is just going to be the accepted risk with riding alone, I will be looking into phone reception to see where the coverage extends to. Plus work on having a good amount of supplies if it does turn pear shaped so at least i will be able to hold out until i can get help.

But in saying that if anyone wants to come for a long bike ride from Newcastle to Perth in late feb let me know!

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Be aware of 26 wheeler trucks doing 100-120ks an hour, with them going past you, in both directions, the roads can become pretty narrow and depending on the wind direction adnd their shape they can just about blow you off the road. Suggest that you wear ear plugs.

Stop travelling once the shadows start to get long because thats roo time

Watch the edges of the road cos if you get pushed off the seal you face big drops as the road shoulders are often non existant.

Put a good mirror on your bike so you can see the trucks and busses coming and get ready for them.

best of luck

posted on Dec, 19 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by zero314

A journey like that would be just what I need at the moment,
unfortunately I would have to ride to Australia first as theres no way I can afford to fly there

Oh and buy a motorbike

I can ride, but I don't have what you might call a license

posted on Feb, 17 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Back in 1996 I rode a tour of about 10,000 KM around Australia on a BMW F650. Great trip.

bruceclarkemexico.tripod.com...

new topics

top topics

join