It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google's Body Browser: a Google Earth for Human Physiology (must see)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Google has mapped just about every traffic artery you could ever want to locate on Google Maps, but what if the thruway you’re looking for isn’t on any road atlas? To help you tell your axillary artery from your common carotid, Google has created a G-Maps-like search-able guide for the human body that lets you zoom, scroll, and search for every muscle, gland, nerve, bone, or organ in our common physiology.

As far as handy Web apps go, Body Browser is pretty neat; a sliding scroll bar allows you to peel away layers of the body, starting at the skin and moving down through the muscles and bone/organs to the cardiovascular and nervous systems. It allows you to zoom in tight (with nice resolution) to get the name of a specific bodily bit. Clicking on anything produces a handy label that identifies what you’re looking at.

Then there’s the search function of course, which allows you to locate any part of the body by just typing in the name. Like your usual Google search, the drop down is self-populating, so even if you’re not quite up to speed on the spelling of “anterior cruciate ligament,” the app will still help you find it. Perhaps best of all: no plug-ins. No Flash, no Java. The application runs right in any WebGL supported browser. It can still be a little cumbersome – if you’re not zoomed to exactly the right level in some cases (navigating the brain is a good example) it won’t always let you click on the right object – but overall it’s a pretty smooth experience

Source: www.popsci.com...

Man, this thing is pretty cool. Just like the title says, Google Earth for the Body.

Not much really to say, Watch the video, you'll see.

There are some pretty interesting comments at the bottom of the article also.

I would like to hear from any medical types that can evaluate and lets us know what they think of it and it's uses etc.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Come on now. Now medical types willing to rate/review this new thing from
Google?

Surprising. I think this thing is amazing. Especially for anyone in college etc.

More for anatomy I would think.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I think it's amazing, too! I am not a college student, but I love to search and learn about everything. This will give me hours of fun and knowledge!

THANKS!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I actually do think that's pretty cool.

BUT, it's made by Google. Anything with their name on it raises a red flag for me.

So they have: search engine, cell phone operating system, computer operating system, chrome, google tv, maps, google earth, google health, google finance, google news, blogger, youtube, etc. And now BODY. Seems like a bit much for one company doesn't it? IMO it is.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I think this is WONDERFUL! Go Google!

Will they map the brain too?

Whether or not, I can see myself using it, just like Google search.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by newBodyoldSoul

Well, I tend to agree with you but I am letting my guard down on this one.

Seems innocent enough. It isn't my body etc.

A very useful tool. Thumb up to Google.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Well, I'm a medical type (nursing student) and I think it's an excellent depiction, from what I could view from the video.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by justsaying

Great.

Let us know if you use it in a practical sense in your work.

What part of Tenn? I was in Nashville for two months working. LOVED IT>

top topics

join