It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sexist Female Oppression? Cleavage In The Workplace

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Mystery_Lady

I agree that the sllideshow presents outfits that are completely appropriate to the average person...

but I also submit that we are seeing staged photographs

we have no way of knowing if she wore any other outfits not shown in the slideshow, that may have been less appropriate for the workplace

I also stated that it appears she was the victim of coworkers that felt threatened by her above average appearance

the fact is, she is a very attractive woman, and there is little she can do to downplay that fact

however, she was warned multiple times from multiple locations/branches of Citibank about her dress/appearance

we have no way of knowing if she didn or didn't come to work in other less appropriate wardrobe on even 1 or 2 occassions that may have contributed to these warnings, all we have are a few specifiaclly chosen outfits that she wore for a staged photoshoot. its quite easy to show us appropriate outfits when you know exactly the ones that caused the warnings to be issued, and all she had to do was not include those outfits in her wardrobe during the shoot

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Obviously to those who know how to dress, its not always clevage that is the "sexiest".

You see, if you do clevage you don't do the tight. If you do form fitting, keep the neck high. Its all about balance.

Accessorize and accessorize.

It really is all about professionalism. It doesn't matter if you're an A or a DDD you need to know how to dress for your body type and look professional. No one should be wearing baggy anything in any office ever. If you're an A you can get away with showing a bit more skin every now and then, in the office and out, and I've been a B up to a DD in my life and I have an eye for what is tasteful in each situation.

I think a woman who knows how to dress properly, just as a man, is more qualified than an equally talented candidate who doesn't. Its part of the corporate image "game", and there are so many shows and books on the subject its really quite easy to fix if one takes the first step and admits they're having trouble.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

I find it so funny that men would pick out cleavage as an "issue". Are they not familiar with what red lipstick represents? Humans are sexual creatures and if some part of a genders anatomy turns you on, that is not their fault! that is what comes with having two sexes!

Gosh imagine the issues if we needed 3 (or more!) genders for reproduction

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   

A survey response depends on how the questions are asked. If showing too much was considered unprofessional or a distraction, I can see how this would imply that she who showed might not be focused on the job at hand and promotion would not be in the best interests of the company. As far as oppression goes, this is probably not it. There are other, more oppressive practices that should garner your attention such as unequal pay for equal work, preferential hiring, or lack of parental leave for childbirth.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
This is the same as thongs,smallest piece of material worn yet it somehow sneaks out of their pants.Every time I see a woman with it hanging out all over, I just want to give them a wedgie.. Isnt' cleavage just an upside down ass crack without the smell?? Maybe we should be tucking those puppies in for you.
Ironic that the ugliest women show the most cleavage and wear the smallest thongs that cost way to much. What is the payout you are looking for???,suntan for the tops only, ah maybe it is a baby bib to catch the crumbs,

Cleavage in general refers to a division or separation of form. Its usage is heavily dependent on cultural context, where it may refer to:

* Partial exposure of part of the body:
o Cleavage (breasts), partial exposure of the separation between a woman's breasts.
+ Cleavage enhancement, methods of making a person's breast cleavage look more substantial than it really is.
o Buttock cleavage
o Toe cleavage
Informal the separation between a woman's breasts, esp as revealed by a low-cut dress.
How you making out at work with the butt cleavage and toe cleavage thing????
What is next are you gonna blame your muffin tops on your boss because you ate to many Twinkies.
I think, I understand you want your cleavage, in any form, to make up for the lack there of, of your ability to impress the boss any other way.Maybe to look more substantial than you really are. What if he is Gay?? You gonna go get a tattoo of anchors away on your forearm? There is formal and there is informal,they are not the same. You think, they are it seems.
You go to a beach, you expect to see cleavage in any form.Informal
You go to work to work, it is not a fashion show for insecurities. Formal
There is a time and a place for everything.Mister

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I wonder how many of the sample were women or men? From my experience, women are the ones who seem to have a problem. When I was younger, I was thin and had a curvy figure. I don't remember too many men staring. I do remember other women being very, very hostile towards me.

In the corporate environment women have to be attractive and thin but not sexy. You can't be fat, old or unattractive either.

I guess it boils down to the assumption that men can not control themselves - as soon as they see cleavage they will turn brain dead and do anything to promote the women. Which is not true. It's sad that other women think this as much as men.

People complain about the dress code in Muslim countries - how restrictive it is. Well, I think the US standard is as restrictive but just in a different way.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I don't think women truly understand the power a little cleavage has over a man. They're like 2 strong magnets and our eyes are made of metal. We can't help but look even if we're gentlemen, which I am.

I was a preschool teacher a few years back and I was the only man in the building about 95% of the time. The school was on a college campus, so I always had 18-25 year old girls coming in my class to observe or do student teaching. Plus most of the staff was college age. Our director had a simple dress code, she didn't want to see any of the 3 B's: boobs, butt, or belly. Simple, but the girls didn't always follow it. Maybe they were fishing for a man (me), I don't know lol. Trust me when I say the last thing I want to see while I'm working with young children are your best assets.

I hope I don't have to turn my guy card in for this, but I did actually report a couple of girls to the director because I was constantly seeing cleavage, butt or boob, in my classroom. I know a lot of guys would kill to be surrounded by college girls bending over all day, but its not all its cracked up to be when you're trying to be professional.

And ladies, I do understand how hard it can be to hide them or look professional because I did end up dating the skinny teacher with the D cup. She was sexy no matter what she wore.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Mystery_Lady

I really didn't have time to read the article but it sounds like her boss was a real jerk. No one deserves to be treated that way, no matter what. But unfortunatly the world doesn't work that way, people are a selfish and shallow animal and it's gonna get worst before it gets better..yes selfish , you, me, everybody. I do agree some less than others but still. But I digress the point is no matter how women...well people in general... dress there will always be people with opignions about it. Negative, positive or indifferent. What you must ask you're self is. Is this appropriate to wear to work? You work at a bank, dress conservatively. One must use common sence.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Mister1k

Toe Cleavage?!?!?

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

I'm a guy and ehhh!? Of course men 's brain turn to mush. You point being.
We love women. Have you seen yourselves. You are beautiful creatures. I don't wan't to seem like a jerk or anything but I do believe that mostly all women are beautifull; beatifull in their own way. Who am I to say that some chick looks like crap. Maybe the guy next to me finds her to be the most beautifyul woman in the world. Yes I do beleive this the only difference is some I find more attractive than others. So, so what if our brains turn to mush..take it as a compliment.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 12:52 PM
link   

are you kidding me!?
17 pages of this?
i guess it's true that sex sells.
and by sex i mean tits.

you have the freedom to do whatever you wish darlin'.
wear whatever you wish.....darlin'.
but there are consequences to decisions/actions.

drives me nuts when folks throw the oppression word around.
you're being oppressed....really?
chest oppression. lulz.

and i'll say it.
the vast majority of the time a 'big chest' is really just a 'fat chest'
and something that would be a horror to look at anyways.
(at some point in time we all look at the train wreck)

edit on 17-12-2010 by slowisfast because: (no reason given)

edit on 17-12-2010 by slowisfast because: typo

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
being told what is or isn't appropriate to wear in the workplace is not oppression, it is the right of the employer to dictate what is acceptable work attire to fully represent the company on a professional level

being asked to cover up cleavage in the workplace is the right of the employer

if you want to show cleavage off everyday at work, go get a job at Hooters, I am sure they would be more than happy to employ you... unless your one of those overweight girls that feels the need to show off their breasts as the only means of self esteem... and most of us have seen the overhead shots on facebook/myspace of these girls, not comfortable with the shape of their bodies unless its a completely skewed shot of just their breast

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by midniteracerx

I don't think women truly understand the power a little cleavage has over a man. They're like 2 strong magnets and our eyes are made of metal. We can't help but look even if we're gentlemen, which I am.

Yes! They do. Its like a game - - and EVERY woman knows the game.

Any woman who claims otherwise - - is in denial by choice - - not because she doesn't know. She KNOWS!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Breasts are considered private parts and are no different than if half of my dick was hanging out or your coworkers butt crack was. Grow up.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Yes! They do. Its like a game - - and EVERY woman knows the game.

Any woman who claims otherwise - - is in denial by choice - - not because she doesn't know. She KNOWS!

Annee, you and I have been on opposing sides of the debate before, but I agree with you 100% on this one

Women are completely aware of the fact that sex sells, and that they can use their bodies for personal gain.

some women choose to take advantage of this by accentuating certain parts of their bodies, whether it be their legs, breast, or ass through many types of clothing(push up bra, thong underwear, mini skirts)

some women choose to downplay it by wearing completely conservative clothing

some women are forced(this is the oppression) into wearing Burqa by the men in their culture because even the men are aware that clothing can be used in a sexual manner

but again, being told was is and isn't approriate in the workplace is the decision of the company owners... if you as the employee do not agree with their policies, find another job that is more suitable to the way you want to dress and just be happy that a Burqa is not something forced upon you by the laws of your culture

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by janon

Again, what your "gentlemen" say about you and your female co-workers behind your back would surprise you.

Doesn't surprise me. I've always gotten along great with men (women? ehh). Men tend to open up to me and just accept me as an equal. Maybe cuz I grew up with brothers in an all boy neighborhood.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984

Originally posted by oniris
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

hehehe, I'm a male, and no, I'm not in any way affiliated with the feminist movement. I do think that someone being offended or obfuscated by cleavage have some guilt issues to deal with

Yes they probably do however understand that it is not offense that is the issue here. To me this is simply a matter of professionalism and equality. In the workplace men are expected to dress a certain way, women should expect the exact same treatment, if they want special treatment then they are no longer arguing for equality. I like cleavage, most men like cleavage but a job is about working, not showing things off to try and get attention.

Well, you might have a point there, although a better discussion would be why in a corporate call center, for example, where 99% of the work is done on the telephone; they feel the need to regulate the way their employees dress...

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalisdad

. . . but again, being told what is and isn't approriate in the workplace is the decision of the company owners... if you as the employee do not agree with their policies, find another job that is more suitable to the way you want to dress . . .

Absolutely!!!!!!

I've always worked in an office. I held various positions - one of which was customer service manager. So I tended to go for feminine professional. I had a couple suits - - but I prefer colors. I mostly wore dresses. I can't think of any place that does not allow women to wear a dress (unless pants are required). And you can always coordinate some type jacket to make it more business/conservative.

My daughter works in Hollywood production - - but she still prefers covering up - - even though its casual dress.

My other daughter drives one of those humongous trucks in a gold mine. I don't think there's need for discussion on her work attire

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I think the folk here who comment that 'that's the way it is' are quite correct.
Men will always always-always, be infatuated with that part of women and
those women who don't know that, are being a little niave.

Me? I get the best of both worlds!

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

Stair at self in mirror?

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join