It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subliminal Incest theme in Folger's Commercial?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Somebody on another message board just brought this to my attention. He writes,

A man shows up at a front door. A girl opens. "I must have the wrong house," he says. She has to tell him (and the audience) as she points to herself, "Sister!"

He walks in, smelling the coffee with satisfaction, and says it's a long way from West Africa. So Folgers, you are telling me that your coffee is more desirable than coffee you can find in West Africa?

Then "brother" hands the girl a present. She takes the bow off of the present and sticks it on his shoulder. "what are you doing," he asks her with a quizzical look. "You're my present this year," she says with a wistful, borderline flirtatious smile. Just before the parents come into the kitchen, there is a split second shot of the brother's reaction where it looks like he's going to go in for the kiss. All those years he wanted to make out with his sister, and she likewise had those same lustful desires, but no. Mom and dad come in to greet their son, so these "siblings" are denied their passion for another day.

Watch the commercial. Tell me those two are believable.

See for yourself:

In case you missed it the first time, be sure to check the very suggestive placement of the girl's hand at the 0:26 mark.

This is, apparently, a remake of a "classic" Folger's commercial from the 1980s. Note that the original features a little sister who's not yet reached the age of sexual maturity.

The apparent sexual subtext of the newer commercial could be completely accidental, but read the comments on YouTube and you'll see that a lot of people have noticed it.

As somebody who's a big fan of Wilson Bryan Key's books, The Clam-Plate Orgy: And Other Subliminal Techniques for Manipulating Your Behavior and Subliminal Seduction, I certainly wouldn't put it past the advertising industry to do this sort of thing on purpose.

+42 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I didn't read the comments on you tube. I did however watched the video. I see a family, a sister showing that she loved and missed her brother. That to me is what they were trying to say. However people can make anything sexual no matter how innocent it was.

+23 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
A warm relationship between brother and sister - they missed each other. I see absolutely nothing sexual about it. Perhaps its so rare for siblings to be close others feel they have to make more out of it. I am still going to drink Folgers!

+27 more 
posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Wow, people are really jaded these days. I saw a young man coming home from some African trip and being greeted by his little sister that misses him. Not a hint of incest in sight.
edit on 12/16/2010 by Toromos because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by Shar
I didn't read the comments on you tube. I did however watched the video. I see a family, a sister showing that she loved and missed her brother. That to me is what they were trying to say. However people can make anything sexual no matter how innocent it was.

I think it's kinda like racism... if your always the one to bring it up or the one that notices it first... your the racist. If you look at this commercial and see incest than you have hangups with personal relationships. Why?

+16 more 
link   
That is some pretty standard stuff. I would look into your own subconscious if you're interpreting incest from that.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I see a sister that idolizes her big brother. Unfortunately in the common American family, this is a rarity. The idolization seems a bit misplaced due to the age of the "sister" - if she were noticeably a few years younger then everyone would be able to see it for what it was intended. I think.

I've always thought that "Olive Garden" commercials spewed highly suggestive homosexual/lesbian innuendos.

Folgers is my favorite brand.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I don't see incest, but do see how some could interpret it though.

I honestly think it's nothing more than a little over acting/writting.

I wouldn't look at it as an intentional thing trying to get you to sleep with a family member.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Doesn't look like anyone is leaning in for a kiss to me. I don't think there's any subliminal message in this commercial apart from that drinking coffee may bring your family closer together. No, not that kind of closer.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sykickvision

i think the OP's point here is that it was a little bit improper or inappropriate for the sister to be resting her hand in her crotch while she shot those looks at her brother, maybe you can assume the looks to be innocent, but i know whenever i'm around my family the last place my hands are comfortable is in my crotch,

jeeze people its like none of you even noticed the word subliminal in the thread title ,

think about it this way, it may be that no one involved in production of that commercial had any sort of intent to include such subliminal msg including the actors, BUT if a horny teen was watching that commercial one morning and he just happened to notice the womans hand in her crotch he will obviously start having sexual thoughts, like any straight male teen would when they see a woman with her hand resting on her vagina, so intended or not, it is subliminal suggestion.
edit on 12/16/10 by pryingopen3rdeye because: spellin

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Lol, the people commenting on youtube seem to have the same idea at the OP. Some comments even say it turns them on lmao. I didn't notice anything sexual, but after watching it a few times I can see where people get the hint. The way she smiles and says "Really?", and the eye contact.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Nothing seems out of place on that ad.

However, if you watch the BudLight commercial with the Alien Women coming to abduct the men. You can clearly see that their "guns" resemble a certain sexual toy, french tickler and all!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I see two very blah actors, who most likely have some form of "chemistry" on set. This is not unusual.

The incest as you say, while it could be construed that way is most likely not intentional by the big evil coffee company, but more down to the actors, flirting with each other, subconsciously.

Please people remember, that even though reality TV is now more popular than ever, that not every talking head on the idiot box is a real person.

There are not brothers and sisters in this commercial. Just two people who most likely will be shagging later!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Well the context of the commercial is subliminal like the toys from the happymeals,at McDnalds, they are FREE so u decide whether or not take ur kids over.But really they are targetting the kids to force the parents to go to McDonals and get more than just tha happymeal and a toy.I think is call marketting.Now days theres a lot of sensuality to promote products,as you see in the commercial the youngsters the next generation is now the target.The girl looks like dont care much for the coffee .And if you look at his eyes......i think he forgot the part of the script were they are playing the roll of brother and sister.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
as more and more people practice sterilized relationships more and more people are going to be accused of incest like this commercial just because they have a non sterile relationship. i dont see incest in this commercial unless you want me to believe you personally feel you felt sexual gratification in the brothers "eyes" and thought the sister telling her brother that his return home was her "gift" is incest; i would also suggest you cease attempting to fulfill your fantasies as this is not a subject or thread that i feel is worthy of being above top secret.

the only reason why i posted to this topic is because i believe that the sterility in expression of emotions and sex within relationships is prevalent and increasing as time; and as such is a topic that could be discussed. this is the first thread that allows me an opportunity.

dont become a grey alien trying to convince yourself its inappropriate that your sister showed you more of a compassionate welcome home than your wife.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I saw a little sister happy to see her brother that returned home from the military.

Second 0.26 is just the girl sitting on her hands to keep her fingers warm. I do it all the time.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shar

Exactly right. Seems that now days nobody knows what familial love is about.. Anything remotely related to a brother/sister showing love for each other is incest or a Dad loving his kids =pedo/incest.
Gotta love the internet and i say that because its only this generation that ive noticed this trend began with.
Really a shame if this is mainstream feelings and not just an isolated perverted few.

edit on 16-12-2010 by Animatrix because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Seriously? You think having affection for your big brother is wanting to jump his bones?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

A warm relationship between brother and sister - they missed each other. I see absolutely nothing sexual about it. Perhaps its so rare for siblings to be close others feel they have to make more out of it.

Exactly. I think the world is so bereft of innocence people don't even recognize it any longer.

How sad is that.

peace

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by flightsuit

I don't think you have a sister of ur own.Maybe thats a good thing
God forbib she has to show you any form of affection

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join