It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subliminal Incest theme in Folger's Commercial?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by flightsuit

You know....

Maybe some brothers and sisters act like this, but they were a bit too sappy for me.
When I watched the first video, I definitely thought that the vibe between the two of them had a sexual vibe, but as far as the "conspiracy" by the advertisement agency goes....

I was up in the air, until...

I saw the original that you posted and then I went from on the fence, to on the *it is most definitely a conspiracy* side.

If you were to ever read the Edward Bernays book titled Propaganda after you watch the BBC movie Century of the Self,

Google Video Link

then you would know exactly why I saw the subtle manipulation of the irrational in the remake commercial.

Especially when comparing it to the original commercial.

Great find.

S & F!!
edit on 12/16/2010 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I see that I am the only person to be vocally agreeing with you on this OP, but I think that is a good thing.

I will quote the Wikipedia Edward Bernays link that I posted.

Edward Louis Bernays (November 22, 1891 – March 9, 1995), was an American pioneer in the field of public relations and propaganda along with Ivy Lee, referred to in his obituary as "the father of public relations". Combining the ideas of Gustave Le Bon and Wilfred Trotter on crowd psychology with the psychoanalytical ideas of his uncle, Dr. Sigmund Freud, Bernays was one of the first to attempt to manipulate public opinion using the subconscious. He felt this manipulation was necessary in society, which he regarded as irrational and dangerous as a result of the 'herd instinct' ...

Sourced link.

Hahahahaha....

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:20 PM
link   
its juts a fluffy brady bunch coffee commericial i dont think its got any negative themes in it.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
You're on to something--I think Folgers is promoting incest so that people will have more birth defects and need extra coffee in the morning.

It was a pretty funny commercial though--those actors didn't do very well at being brother and sister, for sure.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Everything in a commercial is scripted and intentional. Therefore, the female actor was directed to place her hand between her legs at the .26 mark. Why? And yeah, we could call it bad acting that the vibe was less than familial between the "siblings" but I doubt it. They craft these things carefully. If the director wanted a more natural brother/sister interaction (it was freaky, c'mon people!) he certainly would have gotten it from his actors. Great find. s&f!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I think the age of the girl was lifted in the remake because they cant be seen promoting someone younger making coffee. That would be deemed unsafe.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I see nothing creepy about this. Yeah, they're bad actors...but, sheesh... I would not go as far as 'subliminal incest' marketing... that's pushing it a bit!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by joechip
Everything in a commercial is scripted and intentional. Therefore, the female actor was directed to place her hand between her legs at the .26 mark. Why?

Have you ever been to a film/video set during primary photography? Sure many things are intentional, and yes the director gives direction to the actors, but not everything is "intentional".

Especially on commercials (only 30 seconds), the production crew has to do many many takes. The actors do say the same lines, and pretty much do the same stuff, but sometimes the actors do a little improvisation, it just happens. It's unavoidable. The actors may do things on set that the director didn't notice at first. That may be a good thing or a bad thing.

Now the final selection of shots decided on during editing is a different story. This is where the many shots come in. The clients are very picky, and sometimes may even be in the editing suite. Everything is taken into consideration. Big national campaigns have lots of money.

This isn't Hollywood where the "creative" people have free reign, commercials are very different processes.
edit on 16-12-2010 by harrytuttle because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   

I remember seeing this and didn't think incest. To me they are looking at each other like a brother and sister who are close (not that close) and really miss each other..........it's the holidays and she is glad to have her big brother home.

His smile and eye contact, again my own opinion was open and loving - but not sexual.

I am a survivor of sexual incest and the look he gave his sister wasn't that type of look. I know very well "the look".

And yes my niece in Africa says it's hard to come across a good cup of coffee where she was. It is a luxury over there, particularly if you are doing Peace Corps work, you are working with people that don't even have access to water, sanitation, food and other things we typically take forgranted over here.

While these volunteers are working with the poor of Africa, they don't sit around and drink coffee unless they have enough to share with everyone.

edit on 16-12-2010 by ofhumandescent because: added last sentence.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:31 PM
link   
As Freud would say.. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.. Nothing to it just another commercial.. Ugh theres much better coffees than folgers ...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Really a shame if this is mainstream feelings and not just an isolated perverted few.

"Shame" is very appropriate a word, but far too lenient.
It is, literally, sick; and it is contagious.

The commercial was not overacted, it was not sappy, in fact, it was very well acted, in my opinion (and I actually know a thing or two about that).
The problem is that alarmingly many people are apparently incapable of recognising once-ordinary registers of human feeling, including brotherly love.

This is exactly the mentality that is turning the world into one big lugubrious yet perverse, dark and humourless po-co policed nanny state, devoid of avenues for expression of warm human feelings, to the point of being autistic.

And that, my friends, is no trifle.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Toromos
Wow, people are really jaded these days. I saw a young man coming home from some African trip and being greeted by his little sister that misses him. Not a hint of incest in sight.
edit on 12/16/2010 by Toromos because: (no reason given)

Same here. Some people can make anything dirty and wrong. There minds are sick and they think every ones else is too. I see nothing with the ad myself and I have a twisted mind but maybe not twisted enough for I see nothing.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

I know that it is hard to swallow (man I crack myself up), but the reality of this is that sex sells.
The guy who founded Public Relations openly states in several books that the way to engage in "perception management" is to appeal to the irrational motives in a person.

This is a product of the herd mentality.

Enjoy the video...

This time with Miley Cyrus.
(remember that truly bizarre photo spread she did at 14 or 15 I think with Annie Leibovitz? Or that really freaky Rolling Stone shoot with her dad?)

Btw... How are we sick for thinking anything. The actual reality of this is that we are watching a commercial in the OP that is employing actors.
This is fantasy land folks.
Imagination world.

There is nothing at all sick or perverse about noticing chemistry between two people.

THAT ARE NOT RELATED,

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Wow, if that was considered sexual desire I can only assume those thinking that have no close personal relationships.

I thought the commercial was well done myself. It reminds me of many older commercials and even TV shows that showed what real sibling love and family love was about.

The problem is that most of the world is so dysfunctional with their families today that no one understand what love even is. Sadly this carries over into marriages as well and we can see that in the way most end up divorced, cheating, or bitter. The worlds dysfunctions have destroyed the family and it is evident in people saying this is incestuous.

Raist

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:58 PM
link   
When I first saw this commercial, I got the same feeling that something was off about it. Glad I'm not the only one who thinks there is a hidden "tension" between the siblings.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I thought I was the only one who saw that. When I saw the thread I asked my daughter if she saw it, and she said no, then I showed her the video, and she said she thought they were married. BTW, my daughter is 12.

If you know about subliminal techniques, and advertising you could spot something unusual about the tone of the commercial. You dont have to be a deviant, or unusual about relationships between siblings to see that maybe, just maybe this was a subliminal commercial.

If you are unaware of the techniques used in "sex sells", then maybe it could be missed. Also the use of music, lingering shots, and facial expressions as well misplacement, are usually signs that something might be off.

S&F
Peace, NRE.

BTW, the fact that they decided to redo a commercial from many years ago to update, just makes it less visible to those that may have seen the commercial a long time ago, and got the correct message. Our minds will go back to the original, even if most of the commercial is different. Its the "emotional" factor that PR companies use, to bring back a good memory for most, even if the message is quite different.
edit on 16-12-2010 by NoRegretsEver because: to add

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:11 PM
link   
"sometimes a cigar is just a cigar"
Sigmund Freud

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:31 PM
link   
You sick,sick, motherless sons...
The filth is in your minds ...seek help.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nivekronnoco

I will repeat...

How are we sick for noticing chemistry between two ACTORS?

If anything, I would feel sad for anyone who is so entranced in adverts that they would think that the situation in the commercial is real.
And BTW...

It was the direction taken from the director while directing that gives this commercial the chemistry.

edit on 12/16/2010 by Josephus23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Yes, but the big question is.....Will the thought of incest now haunt you every time you make a pot of coffee?
My sister is coming to stay with us over the holiday....I think I am going to switch to tea just to be safe.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join