It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient forest emerges mummified from the Arctic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:27 AM
link   
This is an interesting article about a very well preserved forest of ancient trees, estimated to be 2 to 8 million years old, that was found recently in Canada. They spent the summer of 2010 studying the trees and collecting organic material. They believe they can learn more about what lead up to the climate change, how fast the climate changed, and how the plants responded to that. I posted this because I wanted to discuss the possible findings in melting arctic ice, and the implications of finding such well preserved ancient trees.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/aa83a71bc30c.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1864388084c3.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0f89b6c75043.jpg[/atsimg]

Ellesmere Island National Park in Canada. Ohio State University researchers and their colleagues have discovered the remains of a mummified forest that lived on the island 2 to 8 million years ago, when the Arctic was cooling.

Over the summer of 2010, the researchers retrieved samples from broken tree trunks, branches, roots, and even leaves -- all perfectly preserved -- from Ellesmere Island National Park in Canada.

"Mummified forests aren't so uncommon, but what makes this one unique is that it's so far north. When the climate began to cool 11 million years ago, these plants would have been the first to feel the effects," Barker said. "And because the trees' organic material is preserved, we can get a high-resolution view of how quickly the climate changed and how the plants responded to that change."

Analysis of the remains has only just begun, but will include chemical and DNA testing.

Link to PhysOrg Article
edit on 12/16/2010 by SpaceJ because: added better quality photos

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

One downside to finding the trees is that as the ice melts and the wood begins to rot it will release more methane and carbon into the atmosphere, possibly contributing to global warming. I suppose it depends on how many more forests they find as the the ice melts.

Can't you see how illogical your statement is. Tell me how the trees grew in the first place if it was not WARMER in that area than it is today????

Temperature and precipitation history of the Arctic

...Solar energy reached a summer maximum (9% higher than at present) ca 11 ka ago and has been decreasing since then, primarily in response to the precession of the equinoxes. The extra energy elevated early Holocene summer temperatures throughout the Arctic 1-3° C above 20th century averages, enough to completely melt many small glaciers throughout the Arctic, although the Greenland Ice Sheet was only slightly smaller than at present... As summer solar energy decreased in the second half of the Holocene, glaciers reestablished or advanced, sea ice expanded, and the flow of warm Atlantic water into the Arctic Ocean diminished. Late Holocene cooling reached its nadir during the Little Ice Age (about 1250-1850 AD), when sun-blocking volcanic eruptions and perhaps other causes added to the orbital cooling, allowing most Arctic glaciers to reach their maximum Holocene extent..."

Have another cup of Koolaid from the elite brain-washers to counteract this bit of evidence. There's a good sheeple.

edit on 16-12-2010 by crimvelvet because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

Interesting article and good find.
I'd like to see the comparison of those trees to the petrified forest in CA.
Maybe they were all around the same 'era'.

Either way 'global warming' happens whether or not we agree with it or not.
This Earth goes through numerous cycles and I don't think people understand certain aspects.
For instance, we can't change or stop any 'warming' or 'cooling'.
Even if we contribute to it, nothing is worse than a volcano eruption.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by crimvelvet

i thought your response was a good one up till this point.

Have another cup of Koolaid from the elite brain-washers to counteract this bit of evidence. There's a good sheeple.

i can never understand why people can turn a good conversation into basically the actions of a 5 year old.
your better than thou actions only makes you look like the fool.
you are the sheeple more so than the o.p. for the reason of your actions and words.
imo

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   

What is with people like you who just seem to be so gratified by verbally attacking a person? I never said I believe in global warming nor did I claim to know what the effect of this find would have on global warming, I was summarizing the news article for my posting. I was paraphrasing the article. Note that I used the word possibly. Go spout your BS somewhere else. I wanted to discuss the possibility of what else they could find in melting ice, or the implications of finding such well preserved examples of ancient trees.

But really, your bitterness is unnecessary, karma much? Thankfully not everyone on this site is so rude.

Stuff like this is why I hardly start my own threads. I hate being attacked by people when I really meant no harm here.
edit on 12/16/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

What I am curious about is that if they found perfectly preserved leaves, then the "freeze" must have been very quick as leaves decompose rather quickly.

Interesting indeed and I can't wait to find out what if any their results of this study shows.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   

baaaa baaaaaaaa

rude person

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Yes, they think by studying the forest they may gain a better understanding of the nature of climate change. Possibly that it occurred very quickly. It must have been exciting to find potentially 8 million year old leaves!

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

The lumber industry is salivating... this may be the only untouched forest in this part of the hemisphere. I can only imagine the treasures hidden under the ice.

Interesting find. S&F

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

please dont rise to the bait...when you bring yourself down to his level u lose the high ground...let him be content in his bashing...not only will others lose respect for him regarding his non-needed statement but he will soon realise ON HIS OWN that his actions get him absolutely nowhere.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Didn't think of that part either, the opportunity to learn more about the biodiversity of the time, I wonder how much more they will find within the forest...

Also if the trees are so well preserved, the tree ring studies on this forest might just be one of the best discoveries for dendrochronology.

Colleagues at the University of Minnesota identified the wood from the deposit, and pollen analysis at a commercial laboratory in Calgary, Alberta revealed that the trees lived approximately 2 to 8 million years ago, during the Neogene Period. The pollen came from only a handful of plant species, which suggests that Arctic biodiversity had begun to suffer during that time as well.

The team is now working to identify other mummified plants at the site, scanning the remains under microscopes to uncover any possible seeds or insect remains.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJ

with it being so old im sure at the time the forest was frozen there may have been insects and larvae as well as maybe other small forest dwelling creatures....so not only will we learn more about the trees but also about insects etc that were alive at that time ...all very exciting stuff

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

i can never understand why people can turn a good conversation into basically the actions of a 5 year old. your better than thou actions only makes you look like the fool. you are the sheeple more so than the o.p. for the reason of your actions and words. imo

THAT is years of work and frustration followed this week with an epic FAIL. It is KNOWING that the willful blindness of the brainwashed is going to KILL many people SOON and having idiots like my Senator pat me on the head and tell me there is nothing wrong.

Henry Kissinger stated the plan in 1970:

Who controls the food supply controls the people; who controls the energy can control whole continents; who controls money can control the world.

The 1913 Federal Reserve Act took care of control of the money supply.

Ratification of the World Trade Agreement on Ag followed a couple of days ago by the food safety farce becoming law, means the corporate cartels just gained complete control of the world food supply. Similar laws are in place in the EU, Canada and Australia and independent farms are being put out of business. Portugal has already lost 60% of their farmers and Mexico 75%.

The last action needed is control of the energy, otherwise known as Cap and Trade.

The cage door is swing shut throughout the world and fools still bleat about global warming despite the evidence that it is a hoax put in place by big oil/bankers.

The game has been lost because of the WILLFUL ignorance of people like the person who just posted this thread. I have every right to be very angry for someone who is contributing to the misery and death of others while acting like they have the moral high ground.

link   

Originally posted by NWOnoworldorder
reply to post by SpaceJ

please dont rise to the bait...when you bring yourself down to his level u lose the high ground...let him be content in his bashing...not only will others lose respect for him regarding his non-needed statement but he will soon realise ON HIS OWN that his actions get him absolutely nowhere.

I know, I just knew when I posted this that I would somehow be flamed because it's kind of inevitable. I like this site for the fact that like-minded people can civilly discuss information, but it doesn't always work that way.

link   

Originally posted by tribewilder
reply to post by SpaceJ

What I am curious about is that if they found perfectly preserved leaves, then the "freeze" must have been very quick as leaves decompose rather quickly.

Interesting indeed and I can't wait to find out what if any their results of this study shows.

this is worth considering, as i have thought this way before.
the trees mentioned in the article are 8-10 million years old.
petrified wood is much older.

Geologically how old are these trees? Isotopic geological data for the Black Forest Bed equal 209–214 million years old. The trees in Crystal Forest, Rainbow Forest, and Blue Mesa Forest are older but we have no isotopic data for those deposits.

source

Petrified wood (from the Greek root petro meaning "rock" or "stone"; literally "wood turned into stone") is the name given to a special type of fossilized remains of terrestrial vegetation. It is the result of a tree having turned completely into stone by the process of permineralization. All the organic materials have been replaced with minerals (most often a silicate, such as quartz), while retaining the original structure of the wood. Unlike other types of fossils which are typically impressions or compressions, petrified wood is a three dimensional representation of the original organic material. The petrifaction process occurs underground, when wood becomes buried under sediment and is initially preserved due to a lack of oxygen which inhibits aerobic decomposition. Mineral-laden water flowing through the sediment deposits minerals in the plant's cells and as the plant's lignin and cellulose decay, a stone mould forms in its place. In general, wood takes fewer than 100 years to petrify. The organic matter needs to become petrified before it decomposes completely.[1] A forest where the wood has petrified becomes known as a petrified forest.

wiki

so, considering wood takes less than 100 years to petrify, what are the differences?
how fast it froze?
atmospheric and geologic conditions?
etc...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by crimvelvet

The game has been lost because of the WILLFUL ignorance of people like the person who just posted this thread. I have every right to be very angry for someone who is contributing to the misery and death of others while acting like they have the moral high ground.

Because you know me so well!

So start your own thread on that issue, but please don't come into mine and derail the conversation from what I wanted to share with people. Please?

The sad part of this is that I actually agree with you, water issues and food worldwide has long been a concern of mine, so to call me willfully ignorant is wrong. But I think of these things totally independent of any climate issues. So there's no need to attack, especially when I share similar beliefs to yours.

Just because my understanding of those issues doesn't connect to global warming/climate change, doesn't make me willfully ignorant. As far as I'm concerned with it the climate cycles as it will regardless of us, but we certainly have the ability to effect other things in relation. And that leads into many more theories.
edit on 12/16/2010 by SpaceJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Witness2008
The lumber industry is salivating... this may be the only untouched forest in this part of the hemisphere. I can only imagine the treasures hidden under the ice.

Yeah fer real dude. Canada was running out of those second rate fresh trees, and now this will save them. Just think of the possibilities, you could build new antique furniture.

I agree with the second sentence but come on people...

At best you could burn it. It's on it's way to being coal, but sounds like it's somewhere earlier along in the process, probably like peat. But look where the heck it is. It has to be pretty dang low on the list of natural resources ready for plunder. Why else would they just now be noticing in 2010 that it could be worth studying?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:28 AM
link   

im sorry but i am not seeing how you tie together a post about an ancient forest that has resurfaced and the nwo plans for world domination?....

the OP has merely posted a thread which he is interested in and that may intrest others myself included, now to comment on his thread about the topic at hand is one thing, but to lower yourself to make a mockery of him is another.

i understand that u may be angry about whats happening around us these days and i completely hear you, however its not an excuse to bash this innocent person who has done absolutely nothing to u to provoke such an outburst.

personally i think you should apologise to the OP for being rude...then we can all discuss the issues at hand WITHOUT resorting to name calling...we are all adults here are we not?

maybe make a thread voicing your anger towards the NWO and venting it that way instead of taking it out on others?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJ

Originally posted by crimvelvet

Because you know me so well!

So start your own thread on that issue, but please don't come into mine and derail the conversation from what I wanted to share with people. Please?

he just jumped the gun. he went back and edited his response. this tells me what i need to know about him.
personally, i think people that 100% deny human causes to climate change should;
-lock themselves in their house
-block any venting of furnaces or any other appliance.
-leave all garbage produced in house
-basically live in the atmosphere they produce.

in some way or another, our polluting our atmosphere does have heavy consequences.
what these consequences are and how they will play out as we dump more and more waste in the air, land and water,
is what i don't have the answer to.
i'm not convinced anyone does.
only a fool tries to claim they have all the answers.

edit on 16-12-2010 by rubbertramp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Wait a second.

First they want us to believe in Earth Crust Displacement, now they say that this forest was in the arctic?

Wouldn't earth crust displacement mean that at one time the arctic was in a much warmer place?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join