It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blizzards will bury UK in 12in

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Blizzards will bury UK in 12in

www.thesun.co.uk

BLIZZARDS threaten to bury parts of Britain under 12 INCHES of snow today.
Chaos looms as 60mph winds whip up massive 6ft drifts.

Experts fear the worst blizzards in nearly a CENTURY as up to a foot of snow is dumped across SCOTLAND and north and west ENGLAND from this morning. The SOUTH could also be hit.

Commuters will face road and rail closures and many schools are expected to close. Poor visibility and ice will make driving hazardous. The snow could be the worst since 1927 when a 12-hour blizzard on Christmas Day left 20ft drifts across the South.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Hi, the headline made me larf as i thought it was a bit OTT but it sure does look like the Arctic weather is going to bring a lot of snow over much of the UK!

There is a great photo in 'the sun' newspaper of a lighthouse which has been frozen over which i think a lot of you would like to see... it definately looks like something out of the Film (You know the one).

Anyway i can't get a lick to the photo as its copyrighted so you'll have to check out the story, its on the front page!!

www.thesun.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:54 AM
link   
The lighthouse photo is neat. It's a lighthouse in Erie, Ohio (United States). The ice makes it look almost like a sand castle.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 08:57 AM
link   
Well it makes me smile.. We had a little snow down here 8 inches that lasted 48hours last time, be nice to see a little more

Love the pic of the lighthouse on Lake Eire, I sure hope they are keeping warm on the other side of the Pond..

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Here in south west Michigan it 5F last night about 8PM when we climbed into the hot tub at 102 F. Pretty frosty now but it's 11 F I think

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

BLIZZARDS threaten to bury parts of Britain under 12 INCHES of snow today. Chaos looms as 60mph winds whip up massive 6ft drifts. Experts fear the worst blizzards in nearly a CENTURY as up to a foot of snow is dumped across SCOTLAND and north and west ENGLAND from this morning. The SOUTH could also be hit.

We just had the same here in Canada where I live, and it's the winds that make most of the mess and the danger. Even here where we are prepared more so than most, it took us unawares and caused quite a few problems.

For everyone in the U.K. that is not used to this, please stay safe. I am sure that your country is doing the best it can with what it has but the dangers of being stuck on a road for over a day is nothing to laugh at.

A simple candle kept in your car can be a lifesaver as it will keep the interior of the car warm enough so you don't freeze...seriously. I know it looks like a small flame, but it can be a real lifesaver.

Take care my friends...

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
We just had 2 minutes worth of Snow in the North West... that's it, no more is forecast and it's not sticking.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
Well it makes me smile.. We had a little snow down here 8 inches that lasted 48hours last time, be nice to see a little more

Love the pic of the lighthouse on Lake Eire, I sure hope they are keeping warm on the other side of the Pond..

Wasn't that fun, hope we get some more. Redruth, Truro and Penzanze got the last bit. Hopefully Bodmin and surrounding will get some this time.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
The candle idea is right on. Make sure its a hefty one tho. Also keep a sleeping bag in the car in case u need it. Be sure the gas tank is at least 1/2 full at all times. This past week there were people stuck more than 24 hours in their car. Running out of fuel/no heat would be no fun.

I always keep a shovel in the trunk (boot for u guys) in case I get stuck, as well as a bag of course salt or sand.

Good luck UK. Main thing people don't do even here in Canada is slow down enough, which results in multiple car/truck pileups and dozens of vehicles in the ditch. Happens every time.

Just slow down when the snow starts. So far your winter has actually been much heavier than here. It only got really cold the last few days with that one big storm that shut down the highways in one area leaving people stranded for 4 days!! They had to set up "warming centres".

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 09:28 AM
link   
I'm afraid we are going to see a great deal of inclement weather in the near future. The Cycle of Earth is near an end. This is only a beginning, I think to what we will see before all is said and done. The Gulf Oil Spill did a lot of un-fixable damage to the Gulf Stream, and the Stream has a great deal to do with the weather across the world. Gets yourself some warm clothes, and some snow tires.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by StarTraveller

Originally posted by thoughtsfull

Wasn't that fun, hope we get some more. Redruth, Truro and Penzanze got the last bit. Hopefully Bodmin and surrounding will get some this time.

I have my fingers crossed... living on the SouthDowns means we get to play on the hills... and scenes from last year prove nearly anything can be made to slide
I hope you get some too :up it would be mean to hog all the snow

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Despite all the warnings so far so good in central Scotland, bit of a flurry this morning but didn't lie..

Hoping it stays away my online Chrimbo shopping is in serious jeopardy

Here's a wee pic which is typical of Scottish humour about it all.. my neighbour thought it was funny anyhoo

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/793bb5b0031a.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 16-12-2010 by badBERTHA because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:26 AM
link   
12" isnt that much really...its the drifting thats the problem. Here in NE Scotland the wind is a driving wind and the snow is already drifting. So far today we've had about 5-6" of snow and its been a blizzard on and off for the past 2 hours.

If it continues here in Aberdeenshire as predicted, we could see more than 12" of snow and probably more than 6' drifts

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
An article from The Sun and the end of the world is upon us? Come on people.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I saw that lighthouse on the news yesterday, totally mind blowing !!

Don't know bout you Truth, but I can't ever recall being this damn cold for this damn long , its got to be jet stream related, hope it isn't a shut down or anything but it has got a feel of that certain film you referred to.

Hey lend me a £1000 baby to pay my next fuel bill

Brrrrrrrrhhhhh....

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frakkerface
An article from The Sun and the end of the world is upon us? Come on people.

You mean The Sun doesn't get it facts right ???

Are you sure ???

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I looked at bbc news weather last night and in my region it said it was going to snow heavily all saturday and sunday. Now they've just changed the forcast saying its going to be sunny all weekend. I dont know why they bother trying to predict the weather.

top topics

join