It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guns in the UK? No !!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I am from the UK and a lad i used to go to school with got a gun in our final year. He started dealing charlie and decided he needed one. I remember him showing it to us and it felt like something out of a film. It was a berreta m92f and he had 12 rounds with it.

I remember after that we all thought he was the 'man' because we only carried knives and meat cleavers.... Funny how you realise how stupid you were when you were a nipper.

Guns are illegal but they are still here on the streets. Knives are more of a problem though i think.

As soap says in lock stock - "guns for show, knives for a pro".

It would be cool if guns were legal here though.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I should take time to note that alot of states here are enacting something termed as the "Castle Laws."

What used to happen in many states is that even though you were armed in your own home for which you are paying...you must by law keep moving you and your family out the house and yeild or cede your house to the intruder. You were required by law to find any way to prevent injuring or killing them.

This law now states that the intruders have no business in your home or property without your blessing or approval. You dont have to back out anywhere...and can shoot them if they threaten you or your family/properties.
This has caused a drop in break ins in many states. For an armed citizen is a huge detriment to anyone with two brain cells clearly working.

People have had enough of Two legged Wildlife taking over and using/misusing/abusing the law to shield them against producing/working peoples.

This is now the reaction to years of feel good legislation which has mostly been ineffective.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   
After reading all the posts on this thread, maybe it is not a good idea for those in the UK to have guns for their protection.

If the crime rate is as high in the UK as was stated , maybe the population there is not quite stable enough to own a
gun for protection.

I am not saying the average person of UK heritage is unstable, but maybe the influx of other ethnic groups and
cultures could be a large part of the problem.

Most of the murders here in the US are commited by a "certain ethnic group"...and yes that is the truth.
I am not a racist.....but a realist. What is.....is.....you can't sugar coat reality.

Different cultures of people react to situations differently. That is just the way it is.

It is sad that we feel we need guns for protection, but that is just the way it is.

And in reply to the OP question to us in the US.....Do we feel safer knowing we own a firearm, and most of our neighbours own firearms........The answer is yes.

I know if some physcotic rapist/killer tries to hurt my neighbors..........they will at least have the option of stopping it from
happening.

And if someone tries to enter my home...and hurt me or my family.......they will no longer be a useless air-sucker, and
a great cost to society.

Yea......we feel safer here.

I believe I counted 45 million people killed.......by their governments.....after the peoples guns were taken.

No thanks........We will not be sent to concentration camps.......or separated from our families........and if any Government.......or entity tries........we will go down fighting for our freedom........not hoping for our salvation.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by shauny

I had a British neighbor who we were friendly with while she lived in our neighborhood. She came over to our house. Her kids played with my kids. She was funny and beautiful and we did all we could to spoil her rotten while she was in the US. We went all over the place and had a blast together.

When it came time for us to move on to Texas for a new opportunity, she expressed her dismay that my children and I would be exposed to guns out there in Texas. She was so worried that one of our neighbors might have guns! Little did she know that she was standing a few yards away from the evil metal right in the kitchen! I did not tell her that the neighbor on the other side of her was my husband's target practice buddy.

We have different cultures.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 01:45 AM
link   
reply to post by sara123123

Sara,

Well said in your post...well said. We are not Brits. What works for Brits is not our way.

We do not run around saying " Yes Governor...Yes Governor" "By your leave my lord."

We do not ask permission for what some of us still know as basic rights to which we always had/have. These rights were not granted by a Sovereign as a privilege which can be taken away at the whim of the Sovereign. They were given by God and we always had/have them...before our present form of government even existed.

However our school system nor our media "looking out for you" are want to explain this to us. Both of these institutions here have become shills for the whorish political process which will lie and deceive us when they deem it necessary. And education is financed by the political machine.

This is one of the acute problems both here and in the UK..and continent.

Well said Sara...well said.

Thanks,
Orangetom

edit on 17-12-2010 by orangetom1999 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
reply to post by sara123123

We are not Brits. What works for Brits is not our way.

We do not run around saying "

edit on 17-12-2010 by orangetom1999 because: (no reason given)

I am English and live in a wealthy area of the country (Oxfordshire) BUT I tell you now i dont know a single person who 'Runs around' saying "Yes Governor...Yes Governor" "By your leave my lord." So screw you. I know people with accents that fit the 'steryotype' but they are not like that either.

I love going to America and experienceing your culture but if we all believed the steryotype of you 'yanks' You are all paranoid, lunatic cowboys who 'run around' Going YEEEEHAAAAAAAA ,firing off guns at police officers and causing mayhem... Seriously. Steryotypes are BAD.

posted on Dec, 17 2010 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
..Britain has no guns and has the highest violent crime rate in Europe....

Although the statistics are publicly available there is high variance in recording and categorisation methodology, making country-to-country comparison fraught with difficulty. Due to its “cut-and-dried” nature, comparison of murder rates seems to be the measure which allows consistent country-to-country comparison and the UK is far from the top of the European league table and Western European nations (i.e. excluding violent Russia) are far behind the “armed” United States. That said, the US remains well behind some other countries, where murder seems rather out-of-control.

There are a number of similar consolidated sources, but here’s Wikipedia

As we all end up comparing murder rates against the US… The use of firearms in murder in the US is high and there are a number of sources which elaborate including Wikipedia. There is a clear correlation with guns in circulation and gun crime / murders PLUS cultural aspects. Everyone compares Switzerland as being armed to the teeth but low crime, but that’s because the Swiss are culturally different to your average American, as anyone who has been to Switzerland and the US would attest.

On the OP. The UK does not need guns. The gun ownership rules are about right. Why change them? I would like to see violent crime dealt with more robustly by the courts, but that’s just me. Laws and societies evolve and change with time, except in the US where the oft quoted Second Amendment of the US Constitution seems to keep the US violent through the perpetuation of a gun orientated culture and the consequences thereof. My sister in law is American and she hates guns.

Last word… Random search Child related accidental deaths

EDIT - I am just adding a clarification to my post. Switzerland has a small population, but quite a lot of gun related murders Follow link, although clearly not as high as the per capita rate experienced by the USA.

Regards
edit on 17/12/2010 by paraphi because: Edited for reason shown above

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join