It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Assange free. Granted bail

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

Here is the latest update:

A British judge granted Julian Assange bail on Tuesday but the WikiLeaks founder will remain in custody for at least another 48 hours after Swedish prosecutors said they would challenge the decision.

Sweden appeals UK granting bail for Julian Assange

They have 48 hours now to appeal.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Well it isn't a surprise. They wouldn't wan't anything to happen to him while in custody or anything shady cause the whole world is looking at them. Now that he has to report to police station every day at the same time he is going to be an easy target

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

With Assange being released on bail this tells me it's for 1 of 2 reasons:

1) The US government has thorough reviewed the contents of the 'insurance file' and knows that if this information is released it's game over as the information would have devestating effects.

2) He was released so a hired assassin can get to him and we can read about him dying in an 'accident'.

I tend to believe #1 is the most plausible scenario at this point......

He has to be released first, and that is anyone's guess if that will happen. BTW who is going to foot the $315,000 bill to get him out in the first place? You think he actually has that kind of access to cash?

As for the poison pill, he already lied once about it; being release if he was ARRESTED which he was, yet nothing was done. Big surprise there.

So the government, I bet isn't really worried about what he says anyway, or he'd done kept his word, which again he hasn't so no big deal.

I believe he said that the insurance file, poison pill, whatever you want to call it would only be released if:

1) He dies/is killed

2) He is imprisoned (as in being sentenced to 10+ years or for life) - being jailed on alleged rape charges that he has yet to face trial for isn't the same thing, especially if he's really posting bail and getting released. Also didn't he voluntarily surrender to being with?

Therefore I don't see how he's lying regarding the insurance file being released. Also we have no clue what is going on behind the scenes. For all we know the US government is in his jail cell as we speak on their knees begging him to never release the contents of the insurance file.

Also $300K for bail is nothing - this guy is obviously well connected and I'm sure his supporters can easily come up with that kind of money assuming Assange don't have it himself.

This saga is far from over, and IMO it has yet to really begin....if my memory serves me correct we are still waiting on some damaging files regarding Bank of America to be released. That could be a game changer in itself.

edit on 14-12-2010 by Disconnected Sociopath because: add more info

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Since his lawyer said this:

Mark Stephens, Assange's lawyer, said Assange could be in custody for several days until the £200,000 is security is raised. "

it should not be too hard, to wait 48 hours more. But it surely was frustrating after the seemingly good news.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:32 PM
link   

He was granted bail on condition he provides a security of £200,000 to the court, with a further £40,000 guaranteed in two sureties of £20,000 each.

This is getting more and more absurd and farcical than I would have imagined, how can the UK courts justify this??

BBC

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

You're getting the followers mixed up with the leaders. Anonymous decided to launch an attack on Paypal/Amazon/etc., not Assange, not Wikileaks. Anonymous is really just a bunch of kids who band together and cause general mayhem, if you can even call a DDoS attack "mayhem".

As for Assange himself, everyone has their different beliefs on him, but honestly the Rape charges are clearly a sham, as the women have already stated that everything was consensual.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:34 PM
link   
It has been reported that Assange's solitary conditions included no access to electronic devices, something you would expect if he was being held in relation to the the wikileaks whistleblower site, but he isn't. So much then for the non-political angle, it seems.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
What if the "Assange" that gets released is really a double. Remember the Rudolf Hess theories from WWII?
en.wikipedia.org...

Prisoner at Spandau a double?
According to Dr. Hugh Thomas' book The Murder of Rudolf Hess (1979), the prisoner tried at Nuremberg and incarcerated in Spandau as Rudolf Hess was actually a double who was willingly impersonating him. Thomas examined the prisoner in 1973 as a physician of the British Army attached to Spandau Prison and writes that the man had no scarring that would indicate a bullet wound whatsoever. The real Hess was shot through the left lung, the bullet entering just above the left armpit and exiting between the spine and left shoulder blade, during World War I. This finding appeared to be confirmed when the prisoner's body was given two separate autopsies after his death in 1987 neither of which reported finding scarring that would indicate such a wound; however, when Hess' full medical records were released it was revealed that the bullet wound was in a different place than Thomas had claimed, and that scarring from the clean shot was likely to have been minimal.

edit on 12/14/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: external text

edit on 12/14/2010 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:39 PM
link   

I believe he said that the insurance file, poison pill, whatever you want to call it would only be released if:

1) He dies/is killed

2) He is imprisoned (as in being sentenced to 10+ years or for life) - being jailed on alleged rape charges that he has yet to face trial for isn't the same thing, especially if he's really posting bail and getting released. Also didn't he voluntarily surrender to being with?

He never said IMPRISIONED, he said arrested:

He believes the file is his 'insurance' in case he is killed, arrested or the whistleblowing website is removed permanently from the internet.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange 'will release poison pill of damaging secrets if killed or arrested

The point is this, he said arrested and that is what happened. Nothing further to asses, he didn't hold to his word it was a bluff and he got called!

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   
When he said "arrested" we can infer he meant 'arrested, charged and imprisoned'. There's still a chance he could be free very soon.

If he releases the Insurance file now he has nothing else to bargain with, and will never see daylight again.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by theability

1) He dies/is killed

He never said IMPRISIONED, he said arrested:

He believes the file is his 'insurance' in case he is killed, arrested or the whistleblowing website is removed permanently from the internet.

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange 'will release poison pill of damaging secrets if killed or arrested

The point is this, he said arrested and that is what happened. Nothing further to asses, he didn't hold to his word it was a bluff and he got called!

My apologies.

Regardless I'm not sure it changes anything. And it seems to me it would be a very rash decision on his part to release the contents of the insurance file for simply getting arrested and not waiting to see how the situation plays out first. And in this case it looks like he will be free as a bird very soon.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:53 PM
link   
You do all know he isn't free yet right? The swedes have appealed and he can't be released until the appeal is heard (at least 48hrs), and even then, if the appeal is successful its "sorry Assange, back in yer hole pal, mind yer head"

link   
reply to post by theability

I'll say it again as you didn't reply to my last post...

He handed himself in theability... so it's not really the same as him being arrested ad-hoc is it...... I want to know what he's sitting on as much as most on this site, some how I think it's going to be BIG!

And add: he's got something, the US gov know this and they are scared! I have no doubt about it.... otherwise he'd have been taken out a while back...

link   
reply to post by theability

You have to consider that it's his call. He isn't a stupid person. He knows better than to just release it as soon as he goes in. He said arrested but meant imprisoned. It wouldn't make sense to arrest it before he is locked up.
Once he is arrested he has all the time in the world so of course he will let it play and see if he gets free before giving up his hand.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Yes.. please read the progression of the thread.

Mod's if you are able, you have full permission to add "(update: pending appeal)" to the headline as the information has changed several times and my time to edit has expired.

edit on 14-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

Assange was granted bail.
For a lot of people on this website that means, more "of course he did, it's all a show." For everyone else though this is a small victory. Of course he will be back in court Jan 11th.

Apparently I didn't post enough of my own comments.
Um.. discuss? if you think this implies something.. say it.

edit on 14-12-2010 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

Victory indeed.

Thanks for the news my friend.
Very good.

Blessings

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

sorry my bad, it was still on a earlier page when I clicked post reply, I had to go get dinner out of the oven, still, I am right, and someone skimming might miss others and see it

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Majestic RNA

Yeah I can imagine it wouldn't go down too well in the courts, you are required by law to state your name and address in the UK... he's out for now that's all that matters for now...
Yeah, but what most people dont know is that, legally in the UK, your address must be the place you are domiciled @ when asked the question.
If I walk out of the house I live in with no fixed intention of returning, then anything I own that remains there is in storage. Its not my home if I'm not living there, so I can truthfully tell the police that I'm of "No Fixed Abode". Naturally, unless I stink, they'll assume I'm lying & b/c they cant search anywhere they suspect I may have been living without a warrant (unless I cough up an address under PACE), may well apply to have me remanded in custody for long enough to investigate such suspicion. A magistrate will rubber stamp such an application as a matter of course, but the warrant is another matter b/c it leaves a paper trail that can get people sacked/sued/prosecuted for abuse of the law. Its also worth bearing in mind that "the long arm of the law" we have been told so much about actually couldn't scratch its own backside, simply b/c idiots are idiots & anything idiots can do must perforce be idiocy.
Anyhoo, all tips for budding "freedom fighters" aside, yeah, he's out & I hope he's having a good one! If I was him I'd have walked into the copshop a few minutes ago with a group of the sexiest women I could muster pouring themselves all over me whilst I signed bail. Just to rub it in.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

He's not out though, and won't be for another 48 hours, and even then he won't get out if the Swedish appeal is successful. As of this moment he is still in HMP Butlins hotel.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FOXMULDER147
At last. Seems like an eternity ago when he was taken down. Now hopefully he can get back to his work

Last time I checked it was a couple of weeks ago, not an eternity.
No one took him down, didnt he hand himself in?
Just sayin.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join